IDAHO compliant ML???

bmax

hey all, I have no experience with ML so I thought I'd throw this question out here. My FIL lives in Idaho and was considering purchasing a ML. He is unable to hunt with archery tackle due to a medical condition but would like to capitalize on some of the tags allotted. From what I've read in reg's, there are strict rules in Idaho (no 209, loose powder only, open sights only, etc.) similar to Oregon and Wash. I was wondering if anyone had experience with particular rifles fitting that bill that you would suggest. I've done some searches on the net but not a lot of reputable info. Was looking at traditions vortex northwest mag, but again, have no experience to base off of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bryan

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Bryan get ahold of Skeet talk with RD....he shot cap and ball for years....I know his brother Goose thats all he hunts with 54 cal..replica Hawken.

bpnclark

I hunted antelope in Idaho with a cap mz and it was pretty bad. If I'm going to do it again, I would get the TC or the Knight inlines that are "western" legal. TC stopped making theirs but you can still find them, and Knight still does. They're modern inlines that shoot a #11 cap and have an exposed nipple. The TC's twist rate is made for the chronicles where the Knight is made for sabots, but it seems that new bullets are coming out that don't need a sabot. With those you should be good past 100 yards. On my cap I cant hit anything past 80.....

bmax

did a lot of reading and talked to several reps over the phone. ended up getting him a knight bighorn "western". they boast a 4" group at 200 yds guarnatee, is that legit? anyway, thanks for the info. much appreciated

bpnclark

BMax - I just bought a Bighorn and took it out today. Sportmans Warehouse didnt have any of the Western ones so I got the reg Bighorn and I'll be buying the Western breech soon. To make yours "Idaho legal" all you have to use is #11 caps, loose powder and no sabots. I just got back from the range shooting mine and I love the gun. Very comfortable to shoot and it can handle hotter loads better than the TCs I have shot. So far I love it!