I hate tents!!!!!

msasser

Reaction score
Well I'm dialed for the backcountry one again!!!!!

Have the system dialed down the the pack, bivy, bear can and my Thermorest....plus the .06 of course.
For an overnight or a week I just add more food and I love hunting like an animal and not being tied down to a camp.

Who else hates tents and runs a bivy in the high country?
View attachment 59461

Attachments

• TheSystem.jpg
    TheSystem.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 1

JNDEER

Reaction score
sadly I am a little girl....Got to have my false sense of security. Picking up and moving a backpacking tent is really nothing, but most of the time I have an area figured out before the season starts so I don't have to worry about relocating. but that is specifically for CA blacktials...never hunted out of the backpack out of state, yet.

msasser

Reaction score
My scouting trip last week saw me wake up and find fresh deer tracks 10' from my bivy!!! Got a good morning laugh out of that one as I was for sure in a good spot.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
what pack do you use and what bivy do you use?

"bear can and my Thermorest." like your style

msasser

Reaction score
I carry a Mystery Ranch pack w/NICE frame but the non american build CamelBack tagged version which saved me a ton of money.

For the Bivy I use an OR MicroNight with a Marmot Helium bag inside unless I expect snow then I carry a heavier bag.

glass eye

Reaction score
I don't like creepy crawlers walking across my face during the night. Also, I've been bit 3 times in Hawaii by centipedes while sleeping without a tent, very painful bite. Therefore, I use a tent. Leave for Adak tomorrow, going to use this new (old stock) North Face Aerohead. Forecast; wind and rain. It's a 2 person tent, I have a smaller 1 person Garuda Atman but it would be real tight if I had to spend more than just sleep time in it. So I'm going with the roomier 2 person.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg-25%.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg-25%.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20131030_140507.jpg-25%.jpg
    20131030_140507.jpg-25%.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 0

paulc

Reaction score
I think our 2 man (would never share it with anyone besides my son) big agnes weighs around 2.5 lbs. Not much more than a bivy and you can put your boots, gun etc in there. Not a bivy guy.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I will use whatever is appropriate for the hunt I'm on. A couple days in a bivy waiting out weather and you'll question your patience and sanity.... been there done that... Ed F

msasser

Reaction score
I agree Ed. I always have a 1 person tent in my car when I head for the High Country and if it even looks like snow it gets packed.
Woke up years ago at 11K with 4" of snow on me......that was enough for me.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I've always wanted to use a bivy, but I just have not been able to find one big enough yet for my double-high inflatable bed with the velvet finish!!!

Ambush

Reaction score
Rather carry a tarp shelter/tent than a bear canister. But fast and light or just sleeping out is the way to go for me. Unless there is weather the pad and bag only.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I use OR bivy and sil-tarp for ovenight,light chance of weather. I find bivy's confining.I only get in it if its bad,the tarp is the best.
But usually the Kelty Gunnison 2.1 tent.Lots of room for me and my gear .
I'm a take it and not need it guy.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Oh, man. Bug invaders freaked me out when I was younger and slept under the stars. One night I was awakened by a loud scratching sound. Turned out an an ant lost its way into my ear and wanted to get past my ear drum. I panicked for a moment thinking the ant was going to bite my ear drum -- I grew up with fire ants. But I remembered an old remedy I read about. I shined a light in my ear and the ant found its way to the light -- whew.

TonyS

Reaction score
After hearing a long tail about 60 yds off my campsite screaming at 2:30 am I now sleep face up with a 9mm. I don't need a polyester coating between me and the thing that wants to eat me.

Thermorest is wonderful though. I highly recommend it.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Backpacking tent for me, just can't sleep comfortably with big ol' ants messing up my beauty rest.

youngr24

Reaction score
tent for me. I have sent hours in that thing waiting for the rain to stop. Couldn't imagine having to wait out a storm in a bivy

View attachment 59472

Attachments

• camp (2).jpg
    camp (2).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 0