I hate 3rd Season Colorado--again!

snoopdogg

Reaction score
So the boy and I drew 3rd season Southeast Colorado, but like everyone else, I was cursed with good weather when I needed bad weather. Nonetheless, since this hunt was late and I knew the longer I held out, regardless of the lack of snow/really cold temps, the bucks would begin fiddling with the girlies and that would be their downfall. Bro was along too for elk.

See what’s missing---snow!

View attachment 68359

I plugged a good buck on day 5, after still being juiced from President-elect Trumps b*tch-slapping of Hillary into the wee hours. I don’t think I slept by 2 hours that night. Needless to say, my plan worked out okay and I was able to light this boy up at first light, hanging with some girls.

Some good ol' boys we ran into, guess what state they're from... :smiley-w00t: Had to stop and bullsh*t with them about their social commentary.

View attachment 68360

Attachments

• 20161105_125011.jpg
    20161105_125011.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20161107_071312.jpg
    20161107_071312.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1

snoopdogg

Reaction score
My son has put the whammy on a bull, speedgoats and a bear, but not on a deer. He’s 17 now and we used up his 5 points on this draw (mine too). But, I told him to hold off, regardless of weather, on killing anything “small” until later in the hunt as we would not be eating tags. I promised that bucks would hit the dirt before we left and not to regret killing a small one early. During one hunt on day four, my bro told me he had a small buck at 164 with a dead rest and told bro he would hold off. (Hatchet, the boy brought a tear to my eye…. :smiley-yellow:)

When I spotted this dude silhouetted in the first light, it was a no-brainer he would die of lead poisoning, but I wanted my son to kill this homer because I knew I would get my chance during this trip. We’d be there the whole season if need be. So, I drew down and was holding on the buck but told my boy to shoot. The buck was presenting a frontal shot and my son missed cleanly. I followed and did not.

My son with my buck.

View attachment 68361

When we got to him, the dude was a FATTY. He was the biggest body buck I’ve killed and he was already wearing his perfume for the ladies. He was quite pungent.

I asked my boy what happened on his shot and he said, “Pop, I was shaking and couldn’t get still!” I cracked up and was surprised that he had buck fever, but again, it would be his first deer. He’s such a good kid, I wished he had connected on this one. But he and my bro were there to see the whole bit, so that felt pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Next day, I’m playing guide and sent my bro and son one way and I went another to glass. I came up with a buck about ¼ mile away and radioed bro and Little Snoopster to come on down because I had a buck. They were taking longer than I wanted and had to follow-up with a “I found a big buck and he may not be here forever!”

Once they got to me, bro spotted while I worked the wind to get him on the animal. I was videotaping too, hoping to get his kill on film. Wind swirled and the big buck was being attentive to a lonely girl. We were making tracks. When we got to about 200 yards when I felt confident to have my boy launch from a dead rest, the buck and his lady parted ways and he went into thick stuff, possibly to bed because I don’t think he whiffed us.

Smaller buck.

View attachment 68362

I backed him out and we took the long way back up the ridge. I apologized for not being able to get him on that big buck before he bailed, but had to act in the moment with variables. Being public land, there was no guarantee we would have this opportunity again, but we’d be there tomorrow a.m. waiting to see him at first light.

My bro told me several other hunters glassed me on my obvious stalk and he confirmed what I already knew; this buck was better than mine on horn and was there on body size too. He was impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Redemption for my boy came later during the evening hunt, but not on Mr. Big. Working exclusively where we had seen does during the hunt, we came back to them. During last light, I spot a mature buck with decent mass/width for day 6 and all other considerations. I point and tell my son, “Son, kill that buck.” He shoots (70 yards slightly downhill) and the buck drops like a sack of sh*t. Neck shot, DOA.

The boy and I with his buck.

View attachment 68363

As we approach the buck, I was pleasantly surprised he was a mature 4x2. Not wide, but good enough for day 6, all things considered. I asked, “You didn’t aim for his neck, did you?” I didn’t need to hear the answer, but he confirmed he was going for the heart/lungs. We may need to throw a few more rounds down range when we get back, just to brush up…. :smiley-wnk-yellow:

Fatty number 2.

View attachment 68364

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161110_172547.jpg
    20161110_172547.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

snoopdogg

Reaction score
My boy was very happy, so was I. His buck was older than mine, this dude’s teeth were more worn than mine and he was regressing.

Heart/kidney tacos.

View attachment 68365

So, to recap, the lack of good hunting weather affected the deer and elk hunting, but we still scored on good bucks. With lots of other hunters, the only elk we saw were on private. My bro had a cow tag and my son did too. Those tags didn't taste very good.

View attachment 68366

All in all, a good week plus of hunting and we have a new president that kicked the establishment in the face. I hate Colorado!

Attachments

• 20161109_190639.jpg
    20161109_190639.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161109_005014.jpg
    20161109_005014.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0

jsegoria

Reaction score
As I sit on a hill, some where in D16,know that I read your report with a great amount of envy. Crap, I was happy to just see a couple of Does.

John

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
thats a great deer, glad the two of you had a great time, even if the weather did not go our way. I did see a lot of big deer this year........ but I did not have a tag nor did any of my guys

say this one in the Neighbors yard

Attachments

• KIMG0157.jpg
    KIMG0157.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 0

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Awesome story. Thank you for sharing.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The hunt was fun, frustrating but fun. It worked out like it should.