huntinggpsmaps.com

gametracker

Reaction score
Anyone ever try the sd card loaded with the CA map that can be bought from huntinggpsmaps.com? Seems that with this you can tell if you are on BLM,forest or private land based on a color code. $99 is not chump change but does seem like it could be handy in help keeping you in the right hunting zone when you hunt the borders.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
I have it, but not the SD card. Its a good product but could use a legend. Its still a visual determination based on the topo if you get into an argument with someone. I haven't figured out how to use precise coordinates to tell if I'm a few feet over the line. Biggest problem I have is not enough memory in my Garmin Rino 530, So I have to really decide what part of the map I'll take with me. It probably works better in the Oregon series. I think paulc has more experience with it.

gametracker

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yea I have downloaded maps from the garmin topo series on my rino 120 and on my 60csx. Limiting factors are memory ie in my case d3-d5 is a big zone, too big to have on my gps at least I cant get it loaded. Seems though with this SD card you can have the entire state!? Just curious as to how well the sd card lived up to the claims.

gametracker

Reaction score
I ordered the SD card for my gamin 60csx a couple of weeks ago and have been pretty happy. I havent taken it out in the field yet but have checked it out at home moving the cursor and searching around with it. Very nice details such as knowing what zone you are in, if land is private, blm NF etc etc. It came with both a Ca/Nv topo on one SD card for $99.00. They have some vids on youtube in case someone wants to check it out. Just do a search for huntinggpsmaps on youtube.

tmoniz

Reaction score
My point is this. You can have all the gizmos you want. But what is the end result. Nothing.
Nothing that a good old map and common sense can cover. It's pointless to have all this stuff.
But I guess people have a hard time finding their own ass in a dark closet.
I read alot of maps and then I go someplace.
It's always worked.

T$

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Why maps? What the hell was wrong with stones, blazes on trees and bread crumbs - and sacrificial offerings to the gods before a hunt? So what if you lost a few members of the tribe now and then. Its part of the deal. Damn maps - they're for pussies. Real hunters never used them why do you need one now? Don't get me started on those wussy compass thingys - they are too gay to deal with.

gametracker

Reaction score
QUOTE (tmoniz @ Jun 27 2011, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326872
My point is this. You can have all the gizmos you want. But what is the end result. Nothing.
Nothing that a good old map and common sense can cover. It's pointless to have all this stuff.
But I guess people have a hard time finding their own ass in a dark closet.
I read alot of maps and then I go someplace.
It's always worked.

T$

Whatever works for you. I know how to use a compass, map etc, involved with E&E in the military, taught pilots as well on the use of a compass / map. The stuff is only pointless if your clueless.

boarhunter67

Reaction score
A GPS does more than help you find your way.  It helps you mark spots, see where you've been, show people where you are if there's a dispute and they say you're on their property, but you're not.  The program they are speaking of tells you exactly when you've crossed over onto private or when you're close.  A paper map can't do that.

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista C and wanted to try the download on the huntinggpsmaps, but I want to make sure it will hold enough data to make it worth it.  Currently, I'm able to load D8 & D9 topo maps in, but I don't want to spend money and not be able to load much onto it. 
Has anyone used the download on a Garmin Extrex vista C?

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
Is there a chip or USB that you can exchange info or download the area you are hunting?

hank4elk

Reaction score
I just got the huntinggpsmaps sd card with 24k topos loaded.  Private/public ownership is a must here in the SW area of NM as it is checkerboarded and the LO elk tags for my home unit are RO on deeded acreage ,not the leased lands.
 Catron county where I am is only one in state not to provide the data base of who owns what,they have had 10 yrs to do it. Part of being in the old west with a screw you attitude to ST and FED regs.....But I can mark the ranch boundaries on my BLM and topo maps. Yes I still carry a compass and  maps....hear that T$....

I have heard good things about the SD card from Paulc and from local warden.

hank4elk

Reaction score
So it seems at times. But I take photos and turn everyone of the AH's in when the opportunity presents itself.  And call in GPS co-ords to the G&F......

hank4elk

Reaction score
Have the new Oregon 450T and loaded the micro-sd card in it . Nice screen and good device. Not used to this touch screen stuff. Have to play with it a while I guess. I still have a flip phone....
  I put the sd card that came from huntinggpsmaps in and now can view on my notebook.  Bummer you have to download any manuals and such from Garmin. But I guess thats the way everything is these days. At least I didn't have to pay Garmin to download their system too.

montana13

Reaction score
Assuming i don't need the private-public land feature, would you recommend the 24k Garmin map over the one by huntinggpsmaps? Someone told me that the detail and image is better on the Garmin map, but to go with huntinggpsmaps if i ever planned to use the private-public feature. But the person added that his information was based on what each had to offer a couple of years ago.

hank4elk

Reaction score
The 450T came with Garmin maps on it,but not topo.  The private/public shows FS lands as well.Also landmarks and has great topo.

Tagout

Reaction score
I have a oregon with a hunting GPS map for each state I hunt. Great maps and well worth the money.