Hunting for a new car

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
So the transmission on my wife's car is starting to go out so I'm looking for a new car for her. My truck only has one more payments and I only carry one car payment at a time so for now she's driving my truck :unsure:. She has looked around and it appears she has narrowed the search down to two cars; Honda Pilot or a Dodge Durango. Anyone have any insight on either of these two vehicles. Anyone have a dealership they can recommend around the Inland Empire, or at least a reasonable drive from Beaumont/Riverside?

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
One of my hunt buddies has a Pilot and he uses it for everything from daily driver to towing a fairly large boat. He is very satisfied with it, and it seems to hold a lot of stuff on hunting trips. But his other car is a Prius, so his standards may not be real high.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have an 07 pilot. Couldn't be more pleased. Love it! Loads of room. Seats eight. Last I checked , best in class gas mileage. It's a six, but does something like shut a couple of the cylinders down at cruising speeds to save gas. Plenty of power. Has four wheel drive when you need it.

[email protected]

Reaction score
By the way, how many miles on the wife's car? A new tranny is a whole lot cheaper than a new car.

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
The Dodge is a POS.

JNDEER

Reaction score
Had family with the dodge and all had mechanical issues.

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
She has a 2005 Honda Odyssey with like 150,000 miles. Its time to get her a new car.

She plans on test driving the two cars tomorrow but it sounds like the Honda Pilot is the better option.

She wants something she can carry the kids and dog in when she goes camping, and a family car for all the swim meets and BSA scouting events.

BillinSD

Reaction score
My wife and I both got 2017 Honda Civic Hatchbacks. I got the base LX model and it is real nice, great mpg and I love the hatchback. I paid $22k out the door including taxes etc. My wife got the nicer model for $25k out the door.

Both cars are turbos. The turbo engine and all the computer stuff, is what worries me. Don't buy the extended warranty, security and other junk they try to sell you at the end.

We got 1.9% interest, 6 year loans.

Oh, I also used Truecar to find out what other people were paying, which was difficult, since the car was so new. I did find dealers through Truecar that gave me quotes. I found a Honda Dealer in Corona, that lowballed everyone else.

I took that quote to a San Diego dealer and they almost matched it. They came within $100 and we both knew I was not going to drive over a hundred miles to save $100 on a car.

chessie

Reaction score
Manny, if you are willing to drive into Westminster and check out Honda World, I very good friend of mine is a salesman there. He will be able to help you out. PM me if you want details.

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
BillinSD said:
My wife and I both got 2017 Honda Civic Hatchbacks. I got the base LX model and it is real nice, great mpg and I love the hatchback. I paid $22k out the door including taxes etc. My wife got the nicer model for $25k out the door.

Both cars are turbos. The turbo engine and all the computer stuff, is what worries me. Don't buy the extended warranty, security and other junk they try to sell you at the end.

We got 1.9% interest, 6 year loans.

Oh, I also used Truecar to find out what other people were paying, which was difficult, since the car was so new. I did find dealers through Truecar that gave me quotes. I found a Honda Dealer in Corona, that lowballed everyone else.

I took that quote to a San Diego dealer and they almost matched it. They came within $100 and we both knew I was not going to drive over a hundred miles to save $100 on a car.

No, never ever buy the extra warranty.... Especially if you are worried about the turbo and all the computers....
Never buy an "Acme" warranty, but if you are planning to drive a new car past the warranty period you really should get the factory extended warranty.
I have people all the time trying to buy a warranty after they need one.
It's not Obamacare, you can't buy a warranty when the computer is already fried.

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We ended up getting the Honda CRV Touring. $32000 plus taxes and DMV fees.