How to wax ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESSposse

Marsh Ninja.... Deal with it.
:smiley-bag-on-head:

Didn't let the wax cool down enough??????? :smiley-bag-on-head:

That's why you ALWAYS take the warden out to dinner.... get a good bottle of wine......... and practice on her first!!!!!!

Just ask the guys at Disneyland that cut them hedges into dolphins and girrafes and such..............

karstic

Hot dawm!! Sign chaum up for a lifetime membership!!!

The wax method works! The gadwall I just did worked out awesome.

Have you ever tried it on other game birds like quail or chukar?

Esteban

I used his method on 7 Teal. Now I know you are thinking "DumbSH*T should breast 'em". But this was my first hunt and the wife had an image of "Duck a la Orange". I worked my a** off between trying to find the Parafin Wax on the way home from the Duck Club and then getting the system ready. It worked good but I had as many as 50 quills broken off and a bunch of small black pinfeathers on the top rear. The feathers just peeled off. Next time I am going to leave them in the hot water for around 45-60 seconds as I remeber as a kid grandpa doing that before he had us pluck the chickens.

So then on to the oven with the wife telling me how to cook them. She is thinking of the kind of duck you get in the frozen section. These Teals were around the size of a Cornish Game Hen. I took hemostats to the one I was going to serve her as she has a rule of "All fish and game has to be ready to cook before I bring it home". ie: no feathers, fur or guts!

She took one bite that I had to get off the ducks breast for her and said "I don't like it" All that work! I will never pluck a teal again. But I will be doing a Green head just as soon as I hit one. I had at least 3-4 tries on Mallards this weekend...

karstic

Esteban you find canning wax at almost any grocery store, its kept with canning supplies. I had to deal with a few pin feathers, but overall I think the method works well.

D

Dove Hunter

Teal dry pick then singe the pin feathers over an open flame from on top of a gas oven or in the field from the campfire goes pretty fast . Divers are real hard to deal with thicker down waxing works works with them put Pins , Gads . Wigeon relative easy but time consuming to dry pick and singe..

chuam

If the bird has a lot of pinfeathers then there is not much you can do to get them out other than handpick them. 90% of the time all the quills will come out sometimes there are a couple left in the bird.

One of the things I have found is this process works a lot better it the bird is dry. The wax adheres to the feathers much better. If the bird is really wet then you will have more problems getting the wwax to penetrate and adhere to the feathers.

I have a friend in the central valley get the wax for me. It is usually about $10 a block. You can also get the same wax at Michael's (Craft store) but it will run you about $25.

I cleaned well over 70 birds last year and went through about 20lbs of wax.

ESSposse

................. I still like um with the landing strip........... call me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs-up-ani:

Esteban

Esteban you find canning wax at almost any grocery store, its kept with canning supplies.

Karstic,
Thanks! I found some at the Jo-Anns Fabric and Crafts on the way home in Moreno Valley. 10 # Block was $20. I will use this method on the bigger birds. Guess I will be eating them alone at home along with the Elk,Venison, Quail, Dove etc... that my wife won't eat! :thumbs-up-ani:

ESSposse

.............. I can help in the eatin' dept................

I only have a 34" waist.......................... :thumbs-up-ani:

outdoorplay

Founder
Est try a few diffrent ways to cook them don't make her eat them entail you have tryed them, I am sure you can tell if she will like them :banana-man-yeah:

and ESS your ugly :afraid_face:

bzzboyz

My bad. I need to work on my reading comprehension. I though it said, "How to "WACK" Ducks" :huh: :huh:

CATCH

Welcome aboard..another familar face from Ghandi's? Great post unforntunately Cacciatori's and wax don't mix....although there was a time AGC73 waxed his chest because he forgot he was half Italian/Greek, and was determined to be a body builder! :huh: :huh:

Mewu

If you shoot a lot of ducks, and need to do a lot of ducks at once, this works with an old electric water heater for a trailer. You set it on low before you go and when you come home the wax is hot. If you need to remove the hair, use a blow torch and singe the hair off, a butane lighter works well too.

http://www.mewug.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.