How much water to pack

paulc

Ibex hunt in Sept. Last time it was 94 degrees. I am a big guy, but, Zach is only 13. Plan on spending 2 nights up there at a time. Will have to pack in all water on our backs. There is no reliable spring.

I am thinking at least 2 gallons a day.

You guys that are really into backpacking is there some formula to determine the amount of water needed???

We are going very light on everything except hunting neccesities because we have to carry a 11lb rifle/bullets, heavy optics.

Got 2 bags, pads and tent down to 10.4 lbs.

spurgear

well it's better to have too much water than not enough.

I bring a filter pump or straw with me when I go so if I do come accross water I can gorge myself from the source b4 I move on.

If it's that hot and you have a 13 year old you will be taking it easy anyways so for you at least one gallon per day, for him at least 2 ltrs per day. (how much does he weigh?)

gatorade or similar is very important to replenish electrolites and simple sugars that get depleated FAST in that temp with heavy workload. You can get the little packets to dump into water and mix or just fill one full camel back with gatorade. If you don't want to do that one tablespoon of baking soda, and one tablespoon of table salt into a bottle of water is the same thing without the price and tast and sugers.

Alot of water is heavy but as you get tired youll be drinking it and it will diminish as you drink it so the carry weight will lessen gradually. Keep in mind the water you use for prepping food as well.

Have fun.

paulc

QUOTE (Fire/EMT @ Jul 10 2011, 10:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328582
well it's better to have too much water than not enough.

I bring a filter pump or straw with me when I go so if I do come accross water I can gorge myself from the source b4 I move on.

If it's that hot and you have a 13 year old you will be taking it easy anyways so for you at least one gallon per day, for him at least 2 ltrs per day. (how much does he weigh?)

gatorade or similar is very important to replenish electrolites and simple sugars that get depleated FAST in that temp with heavy workload. You can get the little packets to dump into water and mix or just fill one full camel back with gatorade. If you don't want to do that one tablespoon of baking soda, and one tablespoon of table salt into a bottle of water is the same thing without the price and tast and sugers.

Alot of water is heavy but as you get tired youll be drinking it and it will diminish as you drink it so the carry weight will lessen gradually. Keep in mind the water you use for prepping food as well.

Have fun.

Makes sense. 4 gallons for 2 days for 2 of us should do it. I will take a couple iodine tablets just in case, but, it is desert mountains and water up there is unlikely.
Planned on some gatorade powder.

goindeep

If there's game around there has to be water somewhere, but it might be out of the way to get to. The amount of water you consume will depend on how hard your hunting, and how much ground you covering. I think a gallon a day would be conservative if you taking it easy but up to 2 gallons if your moving alot in the heat of the day. In some of the desert areas we hunt we'll do a scouting trip ahead of time and drop off a few gallons for a later hunt. Like said, too much is better than not enough.

JNDEER

float your liver as much as you can before the beginning of the hike. I consumned 9L of water from friday night until saturday night on my hunt. It was hotter than 93 and the terrain was brutal, but that just gives you an idea.

A key thing you could do like Goin' mentioned is to do a water stash is you don't think there is water around.

spurgear

Ya thats a good idea as well a water stash.

couple more gallon jugs with a strap between them, tossed over your shoulder, and left at a "drop spot".

Good idea.

paulc

QUOTE (goindeep @ Jul 10 2011, 01:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328597
If there's game around there has to be water somewhere, but it might be out of the way to get to. The amount of water you consume will depend on how hard your hunting, and how much ground you covering. I think a gallon a day would be conservative if you taking it easy but up to 2 gallons if your moving alot in the heat of the day. In some of the desert areas we hunt we'll do a scouting trip ahead of time and drop off a few gallons for a later hunt. Like said, too much is better than not enough.

The nature of the mountain really does not lend itself to a water stash. The Ibex live in the steepest cliffs. Plan is to find them from the bottom and then make a stalk. If it does not pan out then we plan on working our way through the peaks. We are not sure where we will go or end up. The ibex will in some cases come down from the peaks to water. How often I do not know.

This is a good pic of the terrain.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...1t:429,r:4,s:38

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Bring some smoke bombs and set them off when you get thirsty, they'll send in some water dropping aircraft. Course they'd probably wash you right down off that steep mountain.