How long before you Process Your Rabbits?

TheGDog

Reaction score
With Rabbit Season quickly upon us... for those of you with more experience that often reach Daily Limit. I have some questions:

After you make a shot to take down a bunny... how long to do you leave him there before deciding to get up and go over there and pick him up and put him into your game bag?

Do you clean them all at the end of the day? Of to you quickly clean their entrails out just before adding each one to your bag?

Assuming a hotter day... about how long would you consider a safe amount of time to allow the shot rabbit to just lay on the ground for a second... waiting for another one to present himself which may be nearby?...before you finally decided it's time to go pick him up and add him to your bag limit?

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
I try to retrieve all my game as soon as I take it. Before rabbits go in ice chest I will gut them, then when the hunt is over for the day I will finish the cleaning then soak in salt water over night.

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
I go get them as soon as I can. Then I use a trick that an old redneck showed me. Hold the rabbit out at arm's length, head high, grip tightly with both hands around the rib cage or a little lower and squeeze until the entrails blow out the bottom.. Kind of like milking a cow, Then into the vest until I can get it to ice.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
I still hunt rabbits to practice my skills when I'm deer hunting. Once I arrow one I put it in the pack and continue my hunt. I usually only hunt a hour or two morning g or evening so do t worry about spoilage

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I pick them up as soon as I know they're dead....I also never touch the gut, because I filet them when I get home....Way easier and you lose nothing much in the front half of a rabbit anyway.

Make a small incision behind the head....Pull skin down to the tail....You'll see 2 back straps....Filet out....Then pull skin off of legs and cut meat from bone (a little darker & round)....You get 2 pieces of meat that looks like chicken strips....I soak a day or so, but not necessary with pure white meat....Then season, Jaccard them, fry in olive oil, chop up, and make faquitas.

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 284.JPG
    284.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 288.JPG
    288.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 286.JPG
    286.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 5

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
You lived thru it brother.. albeit..a different less aggressive species...we saw the light...praise be Jesus!!

TheGDog

Reaction score
OK... but so like... if you know there are other Rabbits nearby where you just shot one... and you didn't see them vacate the area when you fired... and you thought they *might* end up presenting themselves if you just hold tight for a bit... what's the max you might wait before walking over to pick that one up?

paulc

Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
Always approach from the high ground..never approach from below..I don't hunt rabbits anymore ever since the incident back in 83...it's not talked about anymore..the horror..
Touch their eye ball with tip of rifle, if no movement, put one more insurance shot into them and clean within a couple hours.

hatchet1

Reaction score
you,re absoulutley right paul...I was gonna bring up the time you and i had to get the tractor to handle"buisness" at jerrys..but I,ll save that for another campfire..always work smarter..not harder..what a morning!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I'm totally exhausted....Hunted hard this morning and was able to drag these boys off the mountain....The one 4th from the left was down in a deep ravine….Thought I'd never get out...Good thing I had the SIL with me....I'm just getting too old for these rugged hunts...……..... :just-passin-thru:

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 5

hatchet1

Reaction score
That one's my favorite to stevo!!! Hard work pays off.. congrats buddy!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Matt,

Just took a 3 hour nap....Feel much better....Next time I'll have a full tank of gas...…... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Today... was a good day
1f642.png
:) A good, murderous, day! (HaHA!)

I had my Daily limit of Rabbits (5) by 6:40am! (FNFY!)

The .17 HMR proved to be the GREAT tool I thought it would be for that area. All shots were between 50-80yds. And with the .17 HMR, no fussing with bullet drop. Fricken Schweet! And at those distances, the rabbits are far enough away they are not spooking by you moving/repositioning your rifle and shooting sticks/rest in order to make the shot! Watching them do backflips never gets old.
1f609.png
;)

I did have one cripple that I had to finish-off by hand with my knife. (It's so nice not to have to hear her whining anymore, right paulc?)

Cleaning/processing Rabbits is not one of my favorite things to do. (It's a bit of a PITA, due to their fur hairs.) But hey, it ain't gonna cook itself, right?

Currently they are sitting in a salt and water brine, and for ###### and giggles, decided to add a fair-sized dollop of Sriracha into the brine. Figure I might do some kinda crock-pot action with it. We'll see. The yield amount should make a nice dinner for the 3 of us. I just removed the backstraps and the muscles from hind legs. Not enough on their fronts to warrant fussing with those.
Having finished soo early, decided to hike-in on a particular nearby trail and make some sets for predator calling.
First set I did, called in a Grey Fox! That was soo cool! The caller and decoy were only like... maybe 25-30 yds away from me in this tight thick draw. Rising sun was at my back. He actually came in rather quickly after I'd began calling! (I'd say no more than 10 min?) He was circling the decoy but the circular path he was taking had him at a certain point like heading right in my direction, however my sight of him was getting obscured by some sparse brush. I feared that he might have been progressing on up this draw and would be upon me in two seconds, so I tried to pickup and move over my rifle and shooting sticks/rest when he was partially obscured from my vision. However, I believe he heard me moving so he paused, with his ears pointed in my direction. A few seconds later he decided to regress away from the scene off to my right up and out of the draw.
Shame. He was pretty too. Would have loved to have been able to give my honey a new Fox Fur Stole.
1f642.png
:)
(Soon young Skywalker, soon!)

Attachments

• WP_20180701_007.jpg
    WP_20180701_007.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 3

TheGDog

Reaction score
ilovesprig said:
I'm totally exhausted....Hunted hard this morning and was able to drag these boys off the mountain....The one 4th from the left was down in a deep ravine….Thought I'd never get out...Good thing I had the SIL with me....I'm just getting too old for these rugged hunts...……..... :just-passin-thru:

Be careful sprig, I hope you had another hunter there with you. You'll note the Daily Bag Limit is 5. And the possession limit is 10. And this was the first day of the season, so there would have been no way to explain away having greater than 5 in your possession if green-jeans wanted to chit-chat with you today.

It just came to mind because I posted this pic on my FB post this morning before leaving, so it was fresh in my memory.

Attachments

• RabbitSeason.png
    RabbitSeason.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 3

hatchet1

Reaction score
Just happy everyone came home safe and reported back successful..I don't sleep well at nights some times, especially the night before the Ca rabbit opener..good job fellas..praise be Jesus.