How did you get into photography?

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my col
Reaction score
As a kid my dad was an avid photographer. He still has a great eye even though he is getting on in age. I remember him doing high shchool portraits and having 4 or 5 Pentax 35mm cameras set up and ready to go at all times. It was later on in life that I got one of these hand me down cameras and started taking photos of my own. To this day I still use that old Pentax, although I have much more modern equipment. I can't say that I have ever gotten into the digital craze but I am sure that with time it will come. Now, with kids, I am understanding that it is ever more important to preserve those memories on film (or in a hard drive for that matter). I take pictures today to remember the times we share, the places I've been and the friends I've made.

Please take a moment and share your thoughts on photography and let us know what inspires you to take the pictures you do.

terryger

Reaction score
when i was little , and don'yt laugh at this, all i wanted to dio is grow up to be a photographer of palyboy. i thought then what a great life it would be :angry: :rolleyes:

although i have taken more than my fair share of opposite sex photos, in every shape and form, i soon grew to the point that it was not as much fun as imagined and models don't always take critiques very well. :rolleyes:

i took classes, bought exdpensive equipment, got married, had kids and sold all my equipment to support a family. buying equipment and proceesing hnudreds of rools of film can get pricey in a hurry.

anyway, kids grew up and moved away, i was more sucessful and made more, tried digital video for a while but found the editing extremely time consuming and again, every expensive for a the finished product.

then digital cameras came on the scene. have owned them from the start (8years)but theye have been very limited until recently. virtually impossible to capture action or fast paced anything.

then last year i bought a canon 20d and a 75-300 mm lens.

this camera has highspeed startup, 8mp, and burst speed of 5fps for 5 sec. the lens will reach out past the point of where i can see.

hoohah!

in the market now for a second one as a back up and for my wife. we were planning on the digial rebel but since the 30 d came out the price of the 20 d is falling into my range. it is the glass that costs ya! :cross-fingers:

i'm hooked big time now.

GoneBirding

UPLAND NUT
Reaction score
For me it was my grandfather that got me started. At the age of 9 he gives me a 35 mm Yashica(sp). I also took it in college. I love it.

Strungout

Banned
Reaction score
nOrCaL (Sacramento), where the ammendment ink neve
It's been awhile but.....about 30 something years back my mother bought me a 110 camera at some point special just for me and no other siblings. Think it was for a trip to New York we took together to visit Grandma on Long Island. Grandma had a hand in inspiring me as well as she had sent me pics of some 5lb+ tommatos she grew. Still have the pics to this day as I am a packrat sort of traditionalist...but anyway.. I went from using that camera for standard family photos to the instant polaroid type camera for to do some solar eclipse projection photos by way of my first cheapy 3" astronomical telescope. I observed Haley's comet through that scope but could not photograph it...bummer hu? Shortly after, as a young adult, I got my first 35mm capable of long exposure and started doing unguided comet photography along with terrestrial landmarks like Yosemite and The Grand Canyon. I mixed the two together to come up with some of the interesting type photos that are now seen as regular in the trade magazines.
As far as photographs themselves go, over the years I have come to respect the power of a photograph on a personal level. You know something is powerful when it has its anyway it wants with your emotions. They can make many a person weak with tears of sadness or strong with tears of joy... They can be so representative of any given day or night of ones long season that they are almost alive due to their ability to change a person or to reflect the same in hindsight. Whether ugly or pretty they stare back at you. Yes I've cut in half or burned a few days and nights myself for the sake of current days luved ones. They were of course my own personal property and mine to do with them what I wanted....

...But hey, this photography thing has headed into the digital realm for the masses but it still is not near the quality that film is as far as I am concerned.
Do they make a long/time elapsed exposure SLR digital camera able to take pics through various lenz's or at it's main focus through a scope? Maybe I'll get myself..um er I mean ma lady one for her Birthday if they do... :smiley-shakehead-blue:

bluemel8

Reaction score
For me it was my grandfather that got me started. At the age of 9 he gives me a 35 mm Yashica(sp). I also took it in college. I love it.
I also started with the Yashica D. back in the early 80's. Now i use the Nikon D70 with a variety of lenses. I still have a film camera that i keep in my bag for those "Ansel Adams" moments, but havent used it in years.

I love digital for it's ability to capture 300 shots in hopes of getting 10-20 great pictures.

raybanfoxman

Reaction score
Took my dads old Olympus OM-10 steel-body SLR out of the closet one day when I was 9 or 10, had him load the film so I knew how and away I went. I took a few pretty good macro shots of some flowers (that are still hanging in my parents house, God Bless my mother) and have been shooting ever since.

I still shoot with three 35mm SLR's I keep loaded with color, true black and white and C-41, along with my trusty Canon 40D, and a variety of lenses for each camera.