Hog bullet questions

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
My two creeps & I are finally done with football and have been invited to shoot hogs on a place owned by a friend of a friend. I can't remember the last time I killed an animal in Jackifornistan (TM Hatchet) with a rifle but I know it was before the non-lead nonsense. SO...

Is there a copper bullet for a .30-06 you recommend?

The creeps will be using a .243. Is that enough gun? If so, got a copper bullet recommendation?

I'm hoping we can kill with bows and avoid this stupid crap altogether...

Thanks for any insights...

GUNDOGLOVER

I have used Barnes VOR-TX 180 gr. TTSX-BT with real good success on pigs. Dropped two in their tracks at 200 yards. I was using my 300 win. mag. 243, I don't know. I did get my biggest pig, 255 lbs. using a 6mm but, that was before this copper crap took over.

DOG ON POINT

.243 is big enough. That's what my son shoots. I'll look up the ammo when I get home. The bow is always a good way to go. Good luck and enjoy your time out with the kids.

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
My Rem model7 shoots the Barnes (85gr I believe) better than any lead ever shot. My .270 T3 prefers the GMX 130 over the Barnes. Nothing has taken more than a step after either hit em...

Have fun with the creeps!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Throat patch porky with any of the above and it's good night nurse..hit um poorly with some of the above..and it may be along weekend..my 3 creeps have a good desert rat hunt here coming up...its nothing but nosler pars from here on out..

just_ducky_1

bearclaw said:
My Rem model7 shoots the Barnes (85gr I believe) better than any lead ever shot. My .270 T3 prefers the GMX 130 over the Barnes. Nothing has taken more than a step after either hit em...

Have fun with the creeps!
BC, my T3 likes 130 Barnes TTSX. Haven't shot anything with it but paper don't lie...
but I have yet to get a chance at CA swine.

Attachments

SDHNTR

Barnes TTSX, lighter and faster than typical (as in, if you normally shoot 165 in 30-06, go to 150), or Horndaddy GMX. Prefer the GMX myself as they expand more violently, but the TTSX works if pushed a bit faster.

TheGDog

Another vote for the Barnes TTSX! My first deer in 2015... at 35yds... I shot the BARNES VOR-TX ammo in .308 168gr. I shot a little high and a little back... You could tell it still got the bottom end of his lungs from the blood color, but also clipped the under side of his spine.... his body got knocked like 10 inches sideways from the impact!! and he fell to the ground right there. Kicked his front legs for a little bit, but that was it. Was a pass-thru.