Hitch weight help

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place for this question but hoping someone can help me figure this out. I have a Ram 1500 with tow rating of 10,100 lbs and a hitch rating of 500 lbs.

I am looking to but a trailer which comes in at UVW 6,195, a GVW of 7,900 and hitch wight of 500 lbs.

The trailer is under my tow rating by 20% but hitch weight over by 100 lbs. What can I do? Will air bags or wight distribution hitch solve the hitch weight issue?

I appreciate your input.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
I pull a lot of trailers for work and personal. Not with a half ton though. At the end of the day weight is weight. You are on the right track with the hitch bars on the trailer and air bags on the truck. Combined they will take some of the load off of the tongue and let you adjust the ride height of your truck. DO NOT recomend those rubber blocks that go on your axle over the bump stops. Couldn't talk my neighbor out of doing it and helped him remove them after 2 weeks.(He now has the hitch bars and air bags) The air bags dont have to be the fancy ones to work correctly. Just need the bags properly mounted and a Schrader valve by the license plate somewhere. A 12 volt tire pump will do a great job of airing them up for periodic use. Then just let the air out when you're done towing. Kind of the best of both worlds without giving up anything for your daily ride quality. With the proper hitch height (tall enough) you might be fine without the airbags. Best of luck!

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
as some of you know one of our family business is we custom build one-off trailers D12 Tracker hit the nail on the head. you're only over 100 lbs on tongue weight, but even at that, it will squat your truck some. Airbags and load leveling bars are the way to go and way your at it make sure to get the anti-sway bar.

https://rbcomponents.com/collections/custom-trailers-gallery

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input and experience. Now if I can just get Mike Thompson's to finish the deal and order my trailer I'll be set.