Hiker Attacked by Rabid Coyote in Georgia

Hunt'EmUp

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if the coyote really was rabid, can't be reported as Rabid without proof; they hadn't got results back yet. Still almost dieing from a vaccine taken (just in case) the coyote is rabid; is pretty ironic. I really haven't read about any cases of Rabid Coyotes, in many years, I know they got Raccoons and skunks back south that do carry rabies, and we have bats; but the last case I read of a Coyote was ~10-15yrs. ago and that animal was from Mexico. Still I have read that they have an ever increasing population of coyotes back east, some of which interbreeding with wolves, only a matter of time before large population of predators attacks someone.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
There you go, taking a knife to a gun fight. :smiley-rifle:

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
They can make a pretty good inference by the animal's behavior but the description in the article is ambiguous, but if you get bit by a an animal that can have rabies, you are going to get the shot(s) no matter what because once symptoms appear its pretty much always fatal. I think the window is 48 hours.

If it wasn't rabid, it might have had pups nearby. Its that time of year.

TonyS

Reaction score
Rabies can also and are carried by ground squirrels. Something to think about when you decide to pick them up.