High Sierra Backpacking/Fly Fishing

Spanky

Reaction score
I'm headed out on a backpacking adventure later in the month and am bringing my fly gear in hopes of some back-country fishing. I'm hiking in out of Rock Creek for a week going over Mono Pass. Curious if anybody has any feedback on fly fishing that area. I haven't been through there since the early 1980's and things sure have changed. To obtain a back-country wilderness pass; fill out a piece of paper and drop in the box at the trail-head. Not anymore. Go online, make reservation pay fee! Bears; take your backpack and hang it in a tree with parachute cord. Now- carry a $80 plastic canister or get fined. Can't help but think about the "Good Old Days". Big Government babysitting gone crazy. Guess that's progress. I know some of the lakes up there are No-Fish lakes. Used to fish Ruby Lake off the glacier melt and nailed many trout.

DGLloyd

Reaction score
I haven't been fly fishing in that area in about four years, but Ruby Lake has always been good to me. Never fished Summit or Needle Lakes so I can't be of any use there. Most of my fishing has been in the Little Lakes Valley in places like Box Lake and Heart Lake. The fish would strike just about anything I tossed to them. A bit of red on the fly doesn't hurt either. Also, I haven't heard how the drought is affecting the water in the lakes. Might be a factor.

Tight Lines.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Leaving for Mt Whitney in a few weeks..... try sh!tting in a bag and carrying it around in your pack for a few days... no s!it zone. Ed F

Attachments

• mrwpackyurpoop375234.jpg
    mrwpackyurpoop375234.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

Ambush

Reaction score
I hate this state! About to loose my mind!

I'd love to leave a ranger a surprize.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
so what makes our sh!t different then any other animals, that's just the dumbest thing I have ever heard

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
outdoorplay said:
so what makes our sh!t different then any other animals, that's just the dumbest thing I have ever heard
The amount of it and the paper that comes with it ...

This is what happens when you pack too many humans into a confined area. I remember hiking up Whitney 30 years ago and it was crowded then.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
DKScott said:
The amount of it and the paper that comes with it ...
Good point. I never thought of it that way. Going one step further I wonder if anything we eat with seeds could germinate in the said poo and thus bring invasive plants as well.

upper

Reaction score
Nothing better than wild corn...................Upper

Spanky

Reaction score
Back from a fantastic hiking trip. Caught some trout. High lakes and streams. Trout were small but fun to catch.

Attachments

• 4threcesstrout.jpg
    4threcesstrout.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 0

Spanky

Reaction score
Had to bring my backpacking fly rod with me on our Alaskan cruise. Got this little bugger in Skagway before we had to get back on board for the food trough um I mean the buffet line! Thought it was going to snap my rod.

Attachments

• IMG_8168.JPG
    IMG_8168.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 0