HELP : On E-Caller usage Tips/Techniques

TheGDog

Reaction score
How far away do you guys place your eCaller from where you sit? I was placing it about 30-35yds I'd say. I always made sure to sit crosswind from the caller too, so in case they tried to circle around downwind from the setup.

Do you guys let things sit silent before you initially begin starting off the eCaller when you get to a new location?
My motion decoy (MoJo Critter) does not have a remote, so I have to turn it on by hand and then walk back to the hiding bush. So I figured I didn't need to wait long before starting it up since the decoy is already doing it's spinning thing??

After you've decided it's time to move on.... do you let the eCaller sit in silence after your set before picking it up? if so, how long?

How far away do you typically move away from the prior location when you decide to move to another location?
What about when it's more like Desert Hills Open Country?

Are there any helpful tips regarding where you place the motion decoy?

I mean... I've been trying to place them in high visibility locations and usually was trying to put it as near as possible to a nearby piece of vegetation as I could without having it snag during its motion radius.

popx5

Reaction score
Dude

Don't over think it. Sneak in as quiet as you can. Get the wind in your favor. Turn on the spinner, back out, wait a few and start calling. Kill them all.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
The over thinking should stop for sure..I'm with pop..just kill them. There will be more..then kill them also.. critters sense anxiety...lay low bro..it will happen.oh, and not a fan of the motion decoys...I'm.sure they work...but the wind and a good hand call has been my favorite.

fishingkid

Reaction score
I started calling a lot more this year. First 2 days didn't see or hear anything found some new locations I was making 4 stands a morning every other weekend couple months ago. I had 2 locations within 2 miles apart from each other I would always see fresh sign and every time I would atleast get few answers back. The new e caller had several preloaded sounds I have been using hard not to resort back to the ones they answer back to. I have had 4 come in hot but wouldn't get closer than 100 yards at that time I was using shot gun. I looked over my setup on the way out and seen glare off a windshield parked off dirt road further behind where I was setup not sure if that's what held them up. Or me changing sounds halfway through the stand switching between coyote sounds and dieing jack rabbit. Giving these locations a rest sighting in a new rifle hoping to go back and put the hurt on a few soon.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Whoa... seriously? You're saying 2 miles between stands? Oh wow... ok.

hatchet1 said:
The over thinking should stop for sure..I'm with pop..just kill them. There will be more..then kill them also.. critters sense anxiety...lay low bro..it will happen.oh, and not a fan of the motion decoys...I'm.sure they work...but the wind and a good hand call has been my favorite.
I don't have enough experience yet to say definitively... but judging from how that first one was trotting along at a good clip in that draw when the remotes battery was dead so I had to use mouth calls on my first outing. I'm feeling like I'm tending to agree with you on the mouth call thing. But... that could also just be a function of my eCaller being a lower grade one and limited to only what they have it loaded with I suppose, and the playback quality of some of the sounds seems low fidelity to my ear.

My thinking was... with those ears they have... I'm betting the greater fidelity of a mouth call versus the pre-loaded lower quality playback (think like 88Kbps or lower MP3 encoding quality) of the sounds on that caller I happen to have makes a difference.

I think at some point I'll get an eCaller where you can load it with your own sounds. I happen to have a vintage Johnny Stewart Vinyl Varmint Records that were part of an actual battery powered phonograph dealio that belonged to my StepDad that I transferred over into MP3 files. (BTW if anyone wants to maintain an offsite backup of these files for me, just PM me your email address.) I know for darn sure the Dying Crow recording can make the sky turn black with crows if you turn it on in a location where there are plenty of them. (I was like 15 at the time and it was kinda scary, like the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds")

Good to know about the vehicle needing to be sure it's out of sight as well. Thank you.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Regarding fresh sign... check this out! I found what I'm pretty sure was a deer scapula on my way back to the car! The bone was pretty fresh too. Not sun-dried. Chew marks all around its edge that points toward center of back.

I believe I'm going to have to go up and over the the top of the big ridge to where I'd spotted one that slipped out past me 2 yrs ago when I was side-hilling up there near the top checking for deer sign.

fishingkid

Reaction score
Last year I was setting at each stand 30 min some times staying up to a hour. I since have been out with a experienced caller he believes if it's gonna happen usually happens fairly fast told me do not sit a stand longer then 20 min and when he decides to leave that stand he stands up looking around incase something snuck in and was hanging in surrounding brush. I sat 3 stands with him and called in 1 coyote first spot and 3 second spot.im still figuring this coyote calling stuff out learn something new every stand I set up.i had 1 stand I turned on the caller instantly had one bark at me sounded close never presented itself but shocking how fast it happened.i have a old Jonny Stewart call that takes chips each chip holds 6 sounds and recently got the primos alpha dog loving the cordless setup clear sounds with multiple preprogrammed calls.

TheGDog

Reaction score
I read that some of them you can program a playlist so it can automatically try a routine of sounds you want it to try.

Yeah... clear sounds... the ICOTec 300... not soo much. The CottonTail distress has like the lowest fidelity of all the sounds it contains. I thought that was super odd.

I also thought the duration of the calls it has were not long enough to make the next iteration of the playback not sound like a repeat of the same sound.

What are your guys thoughts on (its ability at) playing two sounds at once? My assumption was this feature was so that you could pepper the playback with more than one coyote based sound when you need to in order to create the illusion of more than one dog vocalizing back to them, right? Wondering if in general it is considered a bad idea to play the coyote vocalizations if any of the prey distress sounds are currently playing?

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Dude..hunt the scapula..he may be back for more..be sure to be down wind..those bastards have a nose I tell ya!

TheGDog

Reaction score
Hrmm... well... it's weeks apart when I can get back out there again each time. It's 105mi from my front door.

For being hilly It's a pretty Open Country kind of landscape. Anything they don't finish, for sure the Raven's will always find it.

That scapula was actually extremely close to where my car was parked. I've come across groups of Does in this same area before at about this same time of year. The gusty winds they have make 'em seek out these ravines and draws to get outta that cold winds coming over the ridge.

They have a nose ya say huh? Hrmm. Perhaps some fats drained from cooking in the kitchen carefully poored into the dirt...or...a scent wick dipped into drippings like that could maybe be hung up on branches as a scent whick?

We're gonna get one of those bastards again from this place... it's just a question of when! It's like a quest now. Gotta redeem myself for that one getting away.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Looking at coyote anatomy pics this morning, pretty sure that scapula I saw was from the coyote I'd shot previously.