Handheld Radio's

1984cj7

Reaction score
Sup Guys, Hope all is good. I'm looking to pick up a few handhelds for the upcoming hunting season. What are you guys sporting? The usual motorals are kind of sh*tty I think they are line of sight kind of frequency, kind suck when you go into a wash and can't communicate anymore. Anyways any info will help.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
I'm currently on a set of Motorola's and they work decent, I think my last pair of Midlands were better though. Radio waves have their limitations and if the wash is deep enough there is no way for your signal to transmit to the other side. Bumping up the wattage will help. Something else to consider. I saw some Delorme satellite messengers in action a couple weeks ago and I think that will be the next purchase on my list. Expensive (although you can find the old style delorme inreach on sale now), require a contract, but.... they are satellite based. So you can send and receive messages anywhere you have satellite reception. The two guys we saw using them could be on the other side of a mountain and stay in contact with their hunting partner. My motorla's were a crap shoot unless one of us were on a ridge. Also has an SOS feature that sends help directly to your GPS location in an oh ###### scenario. And allows you to check in with the family when out of cell coverage.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Fowl Play said:
I'm currently on a set of Motorola's and they work decent, I think my last pair of Midlands were better though. Radio waves have their limitations and if the wash is deep enough there is no way for your signal to transmit to the other side. Bumping up the wattage will help. Something else to consider. I saw some Delorme satellite messengers in action a couple weeks ago and I think that will be the next purchase on my list. Expensive (although you can find the old style delorme inreach on sale now), require a contract, but.... they are satellite based. So you can send and receive messages anywhere you have satellite reception. The two guys we saw using them could be on the other side of a mountain and stay in contact with their hunting partner. My motorla's were a crap shoot unless one of us were on a ridge. Also has an SOS feature that sends help directly to your GPS location in an oh ###### scenario. And allows you to check in with the family when out of cell coverage.
Tom. I like those Delorme's as well. Good when you have kids to keep in contact with home.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
I bought a few for the up and coming Dove season..sure hoping they pay off with daily limits!!

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
FRS is shorter range (lower power) than GMRS. Many manufacturers make combo radios that are FRS and GMRS. That's probably the way to go in moderately priced units. We used to use them in the desert and range was pretty good in that terrain.

1984cj7

Reaction score
thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Hatchet1, The things we do for dove... I currently have about 4 cams out trying to pattern a great albino dove down in my dove zone :smiley-wnk-yellow:​

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Dude
.Im serious! Living In AZ Now..the dove nest year round on my property..dove for days!! Hard not to think of them as a commodity!!Hot commodity!!!

paulc

Reaction score
Icom. Buy off of ebay, from guy based in Tuscon AZ. I think the place is called action communication. I have thrown away a bunch of motorolas, unidens, cobras. All garbage. The Icoms only problem is that I lose one every year or so.

crab

Reaction score
The best pair I ever had and used were older Motorola HT90s.
Seemed no terrain would stop them.
Of course they were stolen and that ended.
Now we use Icom VHF F3001 handhelds.
Decent, not as powerful as those old HT90s were though.

paulc

Reaction score
JNDEER said:
paulc- which model do you like?
Here is the link. The guys name is Brian. I dont think I paid that much last time, but, maybe price went up. He has some that are less expensive. He programs them so that your radios work with each other and you do not get interference. They still do not talk through mountains (I do not think any radios in this price range will), but, they work, hold a charge and do not get interference.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICOM-IC-F3011-41-RC-VHF-136-174-MHZ-5-WATT-16-CHANNEL-HANDHELD-TWO-WAY-RADIO-/182549145916?hash=item2a80c6e93c:m:mbkvfrykt__L80zDesjr9QQ

TheGDog

Reaction score
Says licensed required? What kinda license? Also says programming required. And that *you* have to tell them the programming information ya want him to plug in? OR can you just call the guy and explain "Hey I want for a buddy and I while out hunting." and he'll just know what to do for ya?

paulc

Reaction score
The ones I have do not need a license. Pretty easy to get ahold of Brian. He can answer all the questions. Bit Pricey, but, if you dont lose them like I do they will save you money in the long run and work better than the others.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Reaction score
What he says! I get a cell signal on every ridge in this great state.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
TheGDog said:
Says licensed required? What kinda license? Also says programming required. And that *you* have to tell them the programming information ya want him to plug in? OR can you just call the guy and explain "Hey I want for a buddy and I while out hunting." and he'll just know what to do for ya?
GRMS License. Basically if you are over 18, have a pulse and aren't a spy you can get a license. Lots of people don't bother. I had that band on my Garmin RINO and never got the license. (how many RINO owners do?) Not sure if anyone ever gets called out over it.

Follow this for how to apply:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=general_mobile