Grunion '08

GoneBirding

UPLAND NUT
Reaction score
Question
How does the grunion effects the fishing? Better or worse for the bite?

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Is there a good receipe for Grunion??????

Dredge in flour and pan fry 'em!

A friends said there was an awesome run one nite at Capo recently. He said the beach was just silver - totally covered in them. I saw a run like that once at Seal Beach when I was a kid.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
Question
How does the grunion effects the fishing? Better or worse for the bite?

fishing be fishing... it's usually good. you have these fish stacked up outside the surf zone waiting for the tide at night. Last Friday saw a great show with working birds, dolphins, and fish crashing out of the water! (Bolsa Chica). The next run I am going to try and beach launch the yak and fish outside the waves for halibut.
Never ate them, usually catch & release or give them to people on the beach who plan on eating them... Some snacks, hot chocalate, and kids make for a great night... once your kids hit the beach, they'll be wide awake and hooked! Can't wait for the June run.

Arise

Reaction score
Mark you're calendars...

1st annual "TOF Summer Beach Bash"
Fun for the whole Family

Saturday, July 19th - Noon Till you're buckets are full of Grunion (probably around midnight)

Huntington Beach (The state parking lot is just north of the pier). We can set up next to a couple fire pits close by.

Bring you're own Hot Dogs, Sodas, Snacks & smores

If everyone brings a couple bundles of firewood we will be set for a huge bonfire. Bring you're boogie boards, paddle ball set, sand toys for the kidletts & whatever else you got for activities.

Does anyone know how the pier fishing is that time of year? Can we shore fish at dusk?

I'll post up an official thread here in a bit.

Gary

Reaction score
Sounds like alot of fun, I have never grabbed a Grunion, but have been to about 6 runs where they never came in....just unlucky I guess. I think the state beaches close at 10pm though, will this be late enough?

Arise

Reaction score
I think the state beaches close at 10pm though, will this be late enough?

I just checked on this and you are right. Bummer.

Is anyone aware of a beach where we can have a fire and does not close at 10 pm?

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Seal Beach is a city beach. Sunset is county and Huntington is a county beach between I think station 15 on the south side and up to dog beach on the north side (check on that) Newport is a city beach, Laguna is city. Salt Creek is county. Doheny is a state beach. The beach along Beach Road in capo is private - except that you can actualy use the beach, you just have to walk in from meter beach or Poche Beach. San Clemente is county except down along the state park. San O is state. Fire rings have been disappearing from the scene because of injuries and because they are magnets for a-holes (along with all the nice people the a-holes ruin it for) I think Bolsa Chica still has fire rings - and overnight camping but no tents. RV's only. Maybe they don't boot the campers off the beach at 10.

GoneBirding

UPLAND NUT
Reaction score
All city, county and state beaches close at 10 pm

Arise

Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up DK, Hanny & Gary. I'll do some poking around tomorrow and try to come up w/ a spot.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score

I dont know of a good receipe for grunion but I do have one for halibut and they sure do go on the chew when the grunion run :smiley_rotflmao:

robertanderson-1

Reaction score

I dont know of a good receipe for grunion but I do have one for halibut and they sure do go on the chew when the grunion run :beer-toast:

Skeet

Cook em up like northern Smelt, BEER BATTER and Hot Oil
as kids we would get gunny sacks full of them after our fathers
waded out just off the beach in waders and caught them
in 30 to 60 foot long seign nets off the shores of lake superior late at night
during the smelt run, when the run really came on you could walk 2 feet off
the beach with a 20" dip net and fill it with no problem
It was always a big fun for us kids back then!

to clean them we just cut the heads off and cut thru the belly
to the end of the small criiter with a pair of scissors
pull out the guts, dip them in batter, fry em up
eat em up

bob

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
Try Doheny or San O... When I go to Bolsa Chica, we usually park across the street by Jack in the Box and walk over... of all the beaches that close at 10pm I have never been or seen anybody getting hasseled for chasing grunion.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Doheny and San O are state beaches.

Got this straight from the horses mouth. My neighbor is the head of the Marine Safety Department (Lifeguards) for Laguna Beach. He says Laguna has no curfew. Zip, zero, nada. Main Beach, Crescent Bay and Victoria Beach potentially will get runs. The State beaches are the most strict about the curfew, cities and county are more of a local decision about how strict they want to be. He said to call the department that patrols the specific beach you have in mind and ask how they handle grunion runs. The departments were all closed when he told me this or I would have phoned a couple.

Arise

Reaction score
Were getting our Grunion "ON" tonight...

Im taking some kidletts to Newport Beach (22nd Street) around 9ish tonight. The run is somewhere between 9:50 PM - 11:50 PM tonight. I might even show up a bit early to fish the pier. I have a White F-250 & Im hoping to be parked near to the 22nd St. lifeguard station. If were not fishing we should be hanging out close to the station when the run starts. If you find yourself in the area, stop by and say hi and I'll treat you to a juice box & elk stick.

Ill post up some pictures if we hit pay dirt.

Attachments

• grunion.jpg
    grunion.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 5