ground hog pounding

187elk

Reaction score
Finally got to shoot something with my new Ruger American in .243win.  bought it for yotes with .223 being so hard to find.  have another deer gun now.  I was a bit nervous, being the price on these.  This thing is a tack driver, I love it.

882043_10201091278952911_431639495_o_zps63c18d1a.jpg

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Great shootin'........... :smiley_10sign: ............Bluetick?

paulc

Reaction score
I almost bought one of those for a pack gun.  Great price.  Glad to hear first hand it is a good gun.  Would not hesitate to buy one as a youth rifle for a kid, or a new hunter.

187elk

Reaction score
I would for sure buy it for a first timer...I just wanted a yote gun.  Read a few good reviews on it.

paulc

Reaction score
Branden said:
I would for sure buy it for a first timer...I just wanted a yote gun.  Read a few good reviews on it.

Everything I have read on it has been positive.  Like I said, I almost bought it as a pack gun and then I would have cut the barrel down to 16".  I would have spent a couple hundred less than I spent.
I ended up with a Ruger M77 hawkeye compact in .308.  The gun weighed 5.7 lbs and the barrel was already 16.5" long. I topped it with a Burris timberline and the whole thing loaded is less than 7lbs and 35" long.  I have carried it on every shed hunting hike this year hoping to see a cat, yote or pig.  I am happy with the gun, but, I may have been happy with the American also and saved a few hundred.

BTW, I see your "be the decoy" on Camofire and on some hunting shows.  Congrats on getting that off the ground.   You were a good sport when everyone was giving you crap about it.  Hope it turns into some $ for you.

187elk

Reaction score
paulc said:

Everything I have read on it has been positive.  Like I said, I almost bought it as a pack gun and then I would have cut the barrel down to 16".  I would have spent a couple hundred less than I spent.
I ended up with a Ruger M77 hawkeye compact in .308.  The gun weighed 5.7 lbs and the barrel was already 16.5" long. I topped it with a Burris timberline and the whole thing loaded is less than 7lbs and 35" long.  I have carried it on every shed hunting hike this year hoping to see a cat, yote or pig.  I am happy with the gun, but, I may have been happy with the American also and saved a few hundred.

BTW, I see your "be the decoy" on Camofire and on some hunting shows.  Congrats on getting that off the ground.   You were a good sport when everyone was giving you crap about it.  Hope it turns into some $ for you.
You know the American comes in a compact too!  This one is light, but I could have gotten the compact too..same price!  My Scope cost as much as the gun! :)

187elk

Reaction score
alright, I was out bear hunting tonight, some motor bikes were where they were not supposed to be..so we did some long range shooting...I smoked a rock at 695 yards with this little gun.  I love this!