Grimreaper broadheads

Wikidd88

Reaction score
After shooting the rage 3 blade 100 grain broadheads for a few years i got tired of the blades coming loose from the band. I had tried the collar for them but was still not impressed... They flew great and always left a nice blood trail. So i decided to change things up and try out the grimreapers. Needless to say i will not shoot them anymore..
On my late season nm archery hunt i let an arrow loose at 52 yds on my buck.. It sound like a bag of grapes exploding when it hit him right behind the shoulder.. The shot felt great.. After the shot and what seemed like an eternity (45mins) we went to look for the arrow.. Finding it with all the blades still closed..
We tracked blood and jumped the buck shit him two other times with the same result.. Blades did not expand! After he finally decided to lay down and expire we started to field dress him.. Every entry and exit wound was just a hole with no blade marks.. I felt horrible it was one of the most inhimane kills i have ever had..

Has this happend to anyone else? Could it have been because it was so cold? 0 degrees plus or minus throughout the day.

I think the rage hypodermics will be shot out of my prime for the 2016 season!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
It could be a whole bunch of things, but I wasn't there so I won't speculate. Two things though, both unique to GrimReapers, and both an end user issue, not so much a product issue. Many times I've heard people say that they didn't open because when they picked the arrow up off the ground the broadhead was closed. With rapid deceleration like hitting something dense on the ground, tree, log, or when being pulled out of the dirt, the blades fold back or slam shut back into the closed position. 99% of the time the head did the job, but just didn't look like it. OR, you didn't have the collar aligned right when you installed them. The blades need to be lined up with the grooves in the collar or they won't open. Did you test the blades to see that they would open like they should before hunting? Did you practice with them? Or just screw on and hope for the best?

And lastly, before someone else says it, and I'm stealing the phrase here... When an important hunt hinges on your broadhead, don't use a broadhead with hinges. With so many great fixed heads today, you can scratch broad heads off your excuse list!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
My GrimReaper was closed when I found my arrow (clean pass-thru)......Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed.....And thought the worst.....When I started tracking the blood trail it looks like OJ had been there!.....Here's a pic of the exit wound.....Pretty much opened up nicely.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    991.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 136.JPG
    136.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1
  • 138.JPG
    138.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 1

paulc

Reaction score
We have had good luck with grim reapers. I think it is better to be accurate, than have fixed blades.

goindeep

Reaction score
Can't speak for the grim reapers or the rage 3 blades, but I used a rage hypodermic on a buck last year, it did the trick, quick!!

Wikidd88

Reaction score
SDHNTR said:
It could be a whole bunch of things, but I wasn't there so I won't speculate. Two things though, both unique to GrimReapers, and both an end user issue, not so much a product issue. Many times I've heard people say that they didn't open because when they picked the arrow up off the ground the broadhead was closed. With rapid deceleration like hitting something dense on the ground, tree, log, or when being pulled out of the dirt, the blades fold back or slam shut back into the closed position. 99% of the time the head did the job, but just didn't look like it. OR, you didn't have the collar aligned right when you installed them. The blades need to be lined up with the grooves in the collar or they won't open. Did you test the blades to see that they would open like they should before hunting? Did you practice with them? Or just screw on and hope for the best?

And lastly, before someone else says it, and I'm stealing the phrase here... When an important hunt hinges on your broadhead, don't use a broadhead with hinges. With so many great fixed heads today, you can scratch broad heads off your excuse list!
Thanks SDHNTR
All of the above was good to go! Collar was aligned, i checked to see if they opened, and practiced all summer before the hunt with them! They flew perfect no probelms and very pleased! But after numerous arrows stuck jnto that buck no entry wounds showed evidence of the blades expanding! The first arrow passed through clean! And like you said maybe the blades cammed back over after hitting something after exiting.. I figured there would at least be hair stuck under the blades if they cammed back to the closed position! But nothing! I build my own arrows weigh them spin test them and everything in between i am very meticoulus with them! I probably should have stuck with the rage but i couldnt resist trying something new with all the different brands and types..

Wikidd88

Reaction score
QUACKILLR said:
Lost my first animal last year with a reaper, trophy lope @ 42 yards, shot looked perfect, found blood, never found the lope. Stupid me for trying something different. Back to the muzzy mx3 I went and dead again they were this season.
I feel your pain QUACKILLER. Except i was fortunate enough to find a dead deer at the end of the blood trail

Wikidd88

Reaction score
ilovesprig said:
My GrimReaper was closed when I found my arrow (clean pass-thru)......Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed.....And thought the worst.....When I started tracking the blood trail it looks like OJ had been there!.....Here's a pic of the exit wound.....Pretty much opened up nicely.

Looks solid ilovesprig
Looks like they worked for you! I wish i had the same result! They fly nice out of my bow!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Like copper bullets..in and out..no expansion..damn..archery can definetly make your head spin around if you over think it...it's times like that I like to think."what would Ishi do? Or bearclaw?"..

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Used to love expendable's until I had the same thing happen. noting but fixed blades for me anymore

JNDEER

Reaction score
Most serious archers who don't hunt under a feeder, have 12 available tags, or plant food plots will all say the same thing.... "I tried expandable's and loved them until one failed"... Too much work and $$ for the public land hunter to get a chance at a forky or a top 10 CA blacktail and have something go wrong in the moment of truth.

Before I knew about arrow specs, spinning arrows, squaring ends etc.. I used expandables because they hit where I was aiming... First chance at a public land hog at 15 feet my rage got all of 4" of penetration on the sleeping quartering away pig. Never again will I use an expandable.

Don't be afraid of a smaller diameter fixed blade head...Lots and lots of game die every year on small diameter heads like a Wac-Em.

Ambush

Reaction score
JNDEER said:
Before I knew about arrow specs, spinning arrows, squaring ends etc.. I used expandables because they hit where I was aiming... First chance at a public land hog at 15 feet my rage got all of 4" of penetration on the sleeping quartering away pig. Never again will I use an expandable.
Sadly i've seen it happen recently. I think he'll be changing also!