GPS units

Anyone still use a dedicated GPS unit? Was looking to replace mine but everyone says they just use their phone. Does that work outside cell range? Battery life? Map apps? If you still use a GPS unit, which one do you like and what map apps?

Thanks

paulc

Scott, I made the change a couple years ago and when I go back and use my old Montana I cant believe I didn't make the change earlier. I use ONX. Probably the best one out there and even easy for me to use. Zach is rep or whatever for them. Not sure if he can get you a better deal, but, I think its normally $100. I can ask him if you want I can ask him.

nicapopolis

Scott, I would have to fire up the research again, but there is a also a Bluetooth "booster" that you can use. I believe the standard phone GPS is not a good as what the GPS systems are as a stand alone GPS. The Bluetooth GPS deal stays in your backpack l, but enhances the GPS signal on your phone.

This was a few years ago, so this has maybe changed now and maybe phones offer the same GPS capabilities, not sure.

SCREWLOOSE

Switched to OnX and haven’t used my Garmin Rhino 120 in a few years.
For those that are Vets OnX is 50% off msrp using expert voice.

And right now Vortex stuff is 50% off msrp also. Bought the razor spotting scope for $1k

BOWUNTR

Switched to OnX and my Garmin Montana sits the bench. The only time I use my GPS is in Alaska to get back to camp in the dark. Ed F

Thanks guys, OnX it is. Do you have any battery life or memory issues since your phone is also your GPS unit? (no specs on the website)

Right now I'm using a Pixel 2 XL and battery life is decent.

Paul, I'm happy to give Zach the business but the subscription cost for one state is only about $30/yr. I would add other states if and when I decide to go. $100/yr is nationwide.

paulc

Best case scenario is to use it in Airplane mode especially if in an area with bad service and constantly searching. Very easy to down load maps. Quick and large good quality maps. Then you can use it offline and reduces battery usage. I also like the tracking feature which uses power as well. If it is going to be an all day hunt, and you want to use tracking and not be in airplane mode then carry a small power source for insurance.

BOWUNTR

I have a battery pack that doubles as a case for my phone. I get at least three full charges off it. Never ran out of battery power in a day. If I have no way to recharge on an extended trip... then I bring my GPS. Ed F

popx5

I use Gaia on my phone and have my Montana with a onx chip in my pack just in case. I really like the Gaia as it has nat geo trail map overlays that include some springs and such that onx and usgs maps don’t. I have a battery pack phone case that I can go days on.

[email protected]

I carry an full size battery pack as I have a phone with large screen and battery ( note 9). The larger screen comes in real handy for seeing larger swaths of land on onx. Can go for days, and worth the extra weight in my opinion.