GoPro or Cube

socalcowboy

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a go pro to bring hunting and fishing. But then I saw the cube - that GoPro is getting sued for copyright violation. Any have experience with both? Any recommendations?

montana13

Reaction score
I have yet to see a good hunting video from a GoPro. But they do produce great fishing videos. Not sure about a Cube, but it's probably the same.

outador

Reaction score
I know... this is an old subject, (may be should start a new thread ?... :smiley-yellow: )
but trying to get some info for a good action cam not toooo expensive.
Recently, found this one
http://goo.gl/K66n5U
Just looking for some feedback on a good / reliable action cam.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
I have a Hero5, really like it. Not that much bigger than the Cube. Haven't done any hunting video's with it yet, but some on the horses and tractors.

fish dog

Reaction score
For hunting, especially wing shooting, I don't think I've ever seen a good GoPro video. I'm no expert but the GoPro is designed for sports like bike riding, skiing, etc. It does a good job on those but the reason it does is the reason it doesn't in hunting situations. A GoPro is a wide angle camera, kind of like a dash cam if you have one of those in your car. It is made to take in about the field of view (FOV) that you naturally see with your own eyes, which is illistrated below...

1*HhK2gvo-eINK_ebISS4jcQ.png

1*VWYzC3D4nRtegSLOHDoKFA.png

...the FOV settings on a GoPro range from (in horizontal - your side to side view) 122.6 degrees to 64.4 degrees. The equivelent focal length is from 17.2mm in wide, 21.9 mm in medium or 34.4 mm in narrow...(info below)...

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/HERO4-Field-of-View-FOV-Information

...The narrowest FOV on the GoPro is just slightly over a human's area of focus, in otherwords what we see minus our peripheral vision. If you're familiar with "regular" 35mm or Digital SLR cameras a 35 mm lens is considered a wide angle lens. This means that there isn't much magnification in such a wide angle lens. In otherwords because the lens angle is so wide if you're trying to get a view of a duck flying by at 40 yards or a buck standing on a hill 150 yards away they look like a small speck (not the goose type) on the screen.

Think about your binos. The FOV of a pair of 8x42 binos is about 6.5 degrees (compair that to the human FOV grapic above). So, as you can see, to get much magnification you loose a lot of your FOV.

So, having said all that, being not too familair with the GoPro or the GoPro type of cameras, for most hunting situations you'd probably get better results with one that has a narrower FOV and some more mannification. I did see a video the other day from one called a Shotkam you might want to check out. The video from that was pretty impressive.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Wow, sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?

outador

Reaction score
Interesting post about wide angle camera and peripheral vision.
Just read that the Giroptic iO 360 camera https://goo.gl/TSoqmg now suppports iphone and android.
OKay, need a phone attached to it ! But in terms of wide angle to record the action found that interesting that there are more 360-degree cameras with more affordable prices.