Good all around dog???

DirtyDave

Reaction score
I am looking for a small to medium sized dog that can hunt everything with me. I hunt year round, both big game and small game/ upland. I have always liked GSP's but they are pretty much just bird-dogs as far as I know and are too big for my current yard.
Jagdterriers have caught my attention lately, they seem to be pretty universal.
Want to have a dog that can hunt Upland, Waterfowl, Rabbits, Badgers, Coyotes, Pigs, Bears, etc. Basically a dog that is as versatile as I am.
Is this asking too much? hahaha.
Input appreciated, thanks.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
German hunting terrier!

They work for me
:smiley-bag-on-head:

D

Dove Hunter

That is a very tall order finding and retrieving birds in water and on land , tracking game mammals etc. Scott where are you ? Give him the facts on a DK or a good Wirehaired or the name of another good European Versatile .

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
You read my mind Michael :)

Jagds are a lot of dog in a really small package, but not sure how well they would do waterfowl or even chukar given some of the boulder fields and outcroppings you have to hunt. I know them mainly as small predator/vermin hunters, but I know mjb uses his for birds too.

Check out NAVHDA - the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
http://www.navhda.org.

NAVHDA is the organization in the US for the versatile breeds. However, unlike the German registries, NAVHDA does not include fur or bloodtracking in its testing program, even though there are a lot of german registered/bred dogs in NAVHDA. We just test in both systems
The go-to solutions for the kind of versatility you are looking for are the following:

Kurzhaars:
http://www.nadkc.org
http://www.canamdk.org

Drahthaars:
http://www.drahthaar.com/
http://www.vdd-gna.org/

Pudelpointers:
http://www.pcna.org/
http://www.pudelpointer.org/index.html

The AKC analogs to kurzhars and drahthaars are the GSP and GWP, but not all AKC lines are bred for versatility and in the US, very few breeders include fur and bloodtracking as breeding considerations. Hounds are typically used for those activities in this country. The Germans do not slice and dice. They have one standard for each breed and all dogs must meet it before they can be bred. This includes, predator sharpness as well as hunting fur (big and small) and bloodtracking at the utility dog level. My personal preference is for Kurzhaars, but I really like the drahts too. Here is a Video I recently posted in another thread of a Draht doing what all the the german versatiles do.

No dog pops out of the chute ready to hunt. They all must be trained - and to train and test a dog for the versatility you outlined requires a substantial committment of time and resources. There is a steep learning curve and you'll need a lot of help and/or a good pro - and there are not many who do the type of training you want. However, we are fortunate to have one of the best reasonably local (Tejon). Getting involved with the german breeds will also open up the training support you will need. Given some of the species you listed, even after all that investment, you have to be prepared to deal with the possibility that your dog may get injured, possibly severely, or even killed. The european way of hunting hogs is less close quarters combat and seems to produce a lot fewer injuries, but they still occur. If, in all honesty, you are going to be happy throwing a few birds out, teaching your dog to hold point and retrieve to your feet, and call it good and go hunting, that's fine. Most hunting dogs are trained to about that level and serve their owners well. But in that instance, I would not bother with the investment in one of the German breeds.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
I aways recommend a Vizlsa or smaller a brittany for everthing birdwise... I know there is a guy with NAHDA that trains his, i think, gsp... for deer. He was using blood for tracking etc. He explained it to me a couple of years ago... Scott is the man.

DirtyDave

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far!
Waterfowl is not high on the priority list, so I'm not too worried about that. Though a guy on another site did say his Jagd does retrieve ducks.

upper

Reaction score
I have never missed any dog as much as my Jagd........Upper P.S. If you go to Jagd Hunt.com The middle dog on the home page was the father of my dog and the one on the left with a quail was the mother.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
I hunt coons, yotes, dove, quail, ducks, geese, and pheasants with my jagds. Many Jagds in the states are titled in above and below ground game and AKC master hunters and all that bla, bla, bla......

They are a unique breed give it to the Germans to design a dog with natural blood track ability, a jaw at 6 weeks can hold a tennis ball, teeth the size of a 40-60 lbs. dog, web feet for swimming, a strong hunt drive, great family dog with loads of personality, very smart, easily and very trainable, will hunt anything you let them!

Down side, will have some dog aggressiveness, dumb as dirt when it comes to cars, they are a terrier so they need lots of pack leader mentality by everyone in the family, must break them off every animal you don't want them to hunt, will herd livestock if you let them and can't out run/swim the bigger breeds after about 60 yards.

When their puppies they chew, (mainly the non pack leader's stuff) can bark out of control at strange things, Like at balls being thrown(Zoe) or skateboarders(Zita), can be suicidal when it comes to hunting game that can kill. They do grow out of these things they're just young and dumb!

I wanted a dog like you have mentioned and I looked for 4 months before going with this breed. I wanted a dog that could blood track my bad bow shots and flush pheasants like a mad man! This past year I hunted Mexico for upland/ducks maybe 27 days with the dogs, they flushed and retrieved all game for me, and they are great when it comes to runners.
Snow goose

Mark

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Mark, I guess the proof is on the tailgate, but half the alfalfa I hunt is taller than your dogs. How does that work? Do you have little whip antennas and flags on them like litttle dune buggies? :)

How do they handle a big goose?

DirtyDave

Reaction score
It was good talking to you on the phone Mark. Thanks for all the great info.
Does anyone know anything about Patterdale terriers? They seem like bad azz little dogs too.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Yea, I hunt with a few......too small of a dog for game like coons and yotes. Not good on upland the mouth is too small. I have 3 breeders of Jagds that I will send you call me anytime Dave.
When you talk to Ken ask him about pats.

Huntndogs

Reaction score
GWP or Draht....Those would be my choices. Ever seen a Small Munsterlander? Also a versitile breed and on the smaller side.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
QUOTE (Huntndogs @ Jun 25 2011, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326592
GWP or Draht....Those would be my choices. Ever seen a Small Munsterlander? Also a versitile breed and on the smaller side.

Fine choices. I could be very happy with one.

Esteban has a nice SM. Simon the Wonderdog. He got him from Tracy Presson.

Where'd that boy get to anyway?

Huntndogs

Reaction score
Dont know, have not seen him or Simon in some time. Might be in Mexico, I think he has a place down there also.

DirtyDave

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I put down a deposit for the pick of an upcoming Jagd litter

DirtyDave

Reaction score
Now to come up with a name. The wife keeps shooting down the ones I come up with.

I like;
Jazz (younger daughters pick)
Jade
Holly
Storm
She-ra (from He-man)
Raven
Xena
Zelda
Blaze
Roxy

Wife likes;
Maggie
Lucky (older daughters pick)

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
I talked to Ken yesterday 2 weeks before they hit the ground.
Good luck on the names you may want to wait until you see her and get to know her personality.....the thing to do now is hide or move things to make it puppy safe.....and you get to keep your stuff.