Geese Slaughter Time?

MarshRat

Reaction score
Proposed:

4. Increase the total daily bag limit for geese in the Northeastern California, Southern San Joaquin Valley, and the Balance of State zones from 10 to 25 geese per day; the Southern California Zone total daily bag limit for geese will increase from 10 to 18 geese per day.

5. Increase the total daily bag limit for white geese in the Northeastern California, Southern San Joaquin Valley, Southern California, and Balance of State zones from 10 to 15 white geese per day; the bag limit for white geese will increase from 10 to 15 per day in the Imperial County Special Management Area.

6. Increase the total daily bag limit for dark geese from 6 to 10 dark geese per day in the Northeastern California, Southern San Joaquin Valley, and Balance of State zones; increase the bag limit for dark geese from 3 to 4 per day in the Colorado River Zone; and increase the daily bag limit for Canada geese from 6 to 10 per day in the North Coast Special Management Area.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Hell.................Why have a limit at all?.................. :smiley-shakehead-blue:

mouthcallinmatt

Reaction score
Key word: proposed.

Have those who "propose" these regs actually seen the areas they are proposing to increase limits?

slinky_70

Reaction score
Ridiculous I wonder where these numbers even come from. Any knowledgeable hunter knows they are unsustainable

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
Last time I looked into this issue, the snows were destroying their habitat in Canada and needed some population reduction. Kill them here, kill them there, either way reduces the population. Has the Canadian habitat situation changed?

I agree that increasing the limits in California is probably not a brilliant idea, but not much of California regulatory behavior could be described as rational.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Why the vendetta against geese?...............Record hatches in Canada must be the reason (not kidding)............ But a limit of 15 whites?...........Heck, a limit of 10 is ludicrous......... :smiley-shakehead-blue:

They are trying to rid the country of geese, but we can't get 3 pintail................ :38:

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
To be honest I'm surprised it's not higher. Based on some new data the north American light goose populations now guestimated to be between 15-25 million.

The limit being so high on the IV birds is not good, seems like we spoke of this last year about this time.

This really won't change thing up north, sure guys will have great days on specs but after a season of hunting Sac area most guys have no idea how to hunt snows if they don't have weather

As far as Canada, that is where the numbers can be lowered, unfortunately transporting them makes things tough even if they raise the limits. A farmer guy I know in Ab has mentioned hearing that they are considering dropping limits on snows. For guys who know what they are doing that could get nasty

This is from Canadian Wildlife Service:

Breeding ground surveys have shown substantial growth of Lesser Snow Goose populations at several colonies and the establishment of new colonies in recent years (Batt 1997). The CWS is coordinating a series of photographic inventories of major Lesser Snow Goose nesting colonies, and these results are reported below.

The increasing number of Lesser Snow Geese in the eastern and central Arctic is also indexed by surveys on wintering areas throughout the late 1990s. It should be noted that these geese are also referred to as mid-continent Lesser Snow Geese. Mid-winter counts increased from 0.78 million geese in 1970 to nearly 3.0 million in 1998 (Kruse 2007). The 2012 mid-winter count was about 4.02 million geese, 27% more than in 2011, and a record high for the second year in a row (Figure 27; USFWS 2013). These counts include some Ross’s Geese and probably a small proportion of Lesser Snow Geese originating from western Arctic colonies. However, mid-winter counts underestimate actual population levels, and probably increasingly so, as populations have grown (Leafloor et al. 2012).

Recently, the population size of Lesser Snow Geese has been estimated using band recovery data and harvest estimates (Alisauskas et al. 2009; Alisauskas et al. 2011, 2012). Traditional survey approaches provide only indices of population size, but the estimates derived from harvest and banding data suggest numbers that are considerably higher than previously thought. The mid-continent population of Lesser Snow Geese likely exceeded 15 million adult birds in 2010, and some estimates suggest that the population could be even larger than that (Alisauskas et al. 2011, 2012). Despite recent efforts to reduce numbers of mid-continent Lesser Snow Geese, the population continues to grow (Leafloor et al. 2012).

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
This is one lake in Nebraska with 2 plus million snows.

geeseJohnsonLakecenterpivotonstruti.jpg

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Stefan, is that near Grand Island?

D

Dove Hunter

hatchet1 said:
bout time!!! damn geese :smiley-far-sdie-guy-yellin:
With LLoyd on loan we are going after them LOL . For the time being I am working stocking up on cases of shells 15geese and now also 15 doves possibly . Damn is right .

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
i expect many photos of you and lloyd this season ron...many...put the hurt to those damn birds!!!!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Zach said:
Stefan, is that near Grand Island?
Just west of Grand Island Zach
Huh, I know a guy in Grand Island...

I would assume that they will lengthen our extended season this year in California, if they do I'll probably stay here, our extended season the last two years has been very good