FORT HUNTER LIGGETT HUNTING PROGRAM

pitdog

Old and grumpy
I thought I would post some useful info and links for FHL. I plan to make an attempt at this place again this year.

Heres some of the basic info:

Environmental Division
(831) 386-3310 - Recorded update
(831) 386-2677 - Weekend staff or voice mail
email: [email protected]

Fort Hunter Liggett (FHL) is an active military training facility encompassing 165,000 acres of grasslands, woodlands, and chaparral habitats in southern Monterey County. FHL is about 25 miles southwest of King City along Jolon Road, and about 50 miles northwest of Paso Robles, west from Highway 101 to Jolon Road. When military training activities allow, FHL may have up to 130,000 acres open to hunting on weekends and federal holidays, except Christmas day. The number of hunters is limited any given weekend and registration is on a first come first served basis. A FHL permit, valid California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG) hunting license, species tags and stamps and photo identification are required to hunt on Fort Hunter Liggett. CDFG license, species tags or stamps are not available on post.
Hunting Permit: Annual ($70), or Two-Day ($25) permits are sold only by mail and are to be picked up when you register to hunt. Junior (15 years old or younger), senior (age 62 or older), or disabled veterans (with a CDFG disabled veteran hunting license) are eligible for a no-fee permit. Follow the directions on the permit application to purchase your permit. Hunting permits are non-transferable and non-refundable and expire along with your California hunting license. FHL fees support hunting and fishing, wildlife and habitat management on FHL.
Hunted Species: The following species may be hunted on FHL during open seasons and by CDFG regulations: deer, tule elk, pig, coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit, cottontail, tree squirrel, dove, quail, pigeon, turkey (spring and fall), duck, and goose.
Special Weapon Areas: Training Areas 29 and 30 are walk-in only, and restricted to shotgun, muzzle-loading, and archery weapons. Training Area 3 is restricted to archery only.

Follow these steps to hunt at FHL:
1. Purchase the appropriate CDFG license, tags, and stamps.
2. Submit an application for a FHL Hunting Permit(in Adobe pdf format).
3. Review FHL regulations, and CDFG (http://www.dfg.ca.gov) regulations.
4. Call the Hunting Information Line at (831) 386-3310 on Thursday evening for open training areas and Check Station Registration Window hours for the upcoming weekend.
5. Pick up your FHL hunting permit at registration.
6. Registration (check-in) is mandatory each time you hunt - check into one open training area to receive a training area pass (Hunter Registration and Harvest report form). Training area changes are available at the Wildlife Check Station.
7. Report ALL of your harvest on the harvest report form.
8. Checkout is mandatory at the end of your hunt, prior to leaving FHL. Return both copies of the Hunter Registration and Harvest Report Form, and any visitor passes to the check station.
Registration: Hunters must register in person at the check station registration window located near the campground. Each hunter is assigned to one open training area at a time. Register Fridays 3-7 pm, Saturdays, Sundays, and Federal holidays 5:00am - 1:00pm (hours vary with day-length.)

Present the following documents for registration:
1. a completed hunter registration form (available at the check station),
2. a valid California hunting license, and applicable tags and stamps,
3. FHL hunting permit, and
4. photo ID

Minor hunters may register when accompanied by an adult with photo identification.
Visitors: Each hunter is allowed one non-hunting visitor free of charge. Request a visitor pass during registration.
FHL Regulation 420-26, Game Law Enforcement, summary - All visitors must comply with FHL and CDFG regulations, (see at http://www.dfg.ca.gov).
1. Seasons: 1.1. Hunting permitted during CDFG open seasons and as military training allows.
2. Hunting hours are from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset unless further restricted by CDFG regulations.
3. General:
4. CDFG, FHL and Army regulations are applicable and enforced on FHL. Violations may result in:
1. Criminal prosecution in Federal Magistrate, U.S. District Court, California Municipal, or Superior Court.
2. Suspension or revocation of Fort Hunter Liggett hunting privileges.
3. Written warning.
4. Uniform Code of Military disciplinary action.
5. Loaded firearms are allowed only while hunting in the hunter's designated training area.
6. It is unlawful on FHL to:
1. hunt in "no hunting" areas. (No Hunting Areas are Cantonment, Training areas 12A, 20, 21, 22, the Ammunition Supply Point, and other areas marked with no hunting signs),
2. drive any vehicle off-road,
3. drive on military shooting ranges or shoot from towers,
4. pick up, disturb or carry off Government equipment, ordnance, munitions or parts of the same,
5. excavate, collect, damage, alter, deface, sell, purchase, transport, or receive any archeological artifacts,
6. take, harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, any threatened, endangered or non-game wildlife species (except coyote and bobcat,) or to remove or destroy any threatened, endangered or any other plants,
7. disturb Protection and Rehabilitation Sites, which are marked with flagging, cones, and/or signs,
8. cut, collect, or gather any wood,
9. hunt within 200 meters of the installation boundary, public road, or adjacent to private land, or
10. litter

7. The following are unlawful in Fort Hunter Liggett training areas:
1. access without a valid FHL training area or visitor pass,
2. being intoxicated or consuming alcohol,
3. fires,
4. camping,
5. use of off road motorcycles or all terrain vehicles (ATV's),
6. dogs (except voice trained dogs for bird hunting),
7. swimming,
8. target shooting, or
9. possession of air-guns, slingshots or spring loaded devices.
8. Vehicles must be parked within the training area noted on the hunter registration form, or within a designated parking area.
9. Vehicles in training areas must have the vehicle copy of the hunter registration form clearly displayed on the dash and hunter copy on person at all times.
10. The speed limit on FHL is 10 mph when passing troops and 25 mph in all other areas, unless posted otherwise.
11. Report uncontrolled fires, the location of unexploded munitions, and any observed violations of Federal, State or FHL Regulations to: Law Enforcement Activity (LEA), phone # (831) 386-2513 or (831) 386-2526
12. Training areas:
1. FHL is broken into 29 training areas, a cantonment, and ASP.
13. Firearms:
1. Handguns may be used per state regulations, but must have barrels 6" (six inches) or longer and be .38 caliber or larger (.243 or larger in rifle caliber used for handguns). Handguns in a vehicle must be in a locked container and unloaded (chamber and magazine).
2. Rifles of 22 rimfire-caliber are allowed only for hunting tree squirrel and rabbit.
3. Tracking Wounded Game: Hunters may not track wounded animals into a closed area unless accompanied by law enforcement personnel. Ifwounded game goes off the installation, it is the hunter's responsibility to obtain permission for access from the landowner.
4. Tree Stands may be used if they cause no damage and are completely removed each day at the close of hunting hours.
14. Safety:
1. Hunters may not hunt near soldiers. If soldiers are sighted, the hunter must exit the area and notify FHL Range Control (831) 386-2403, Law Enforcement Activity (831) 386-2526, or Wildlife Check Station (831) 386-2677.
2. Check in to ensure that you do not enter training areas in which live fire exercises are being conducted.
3. Check out to ensure that someone will look for you if you are injured or stranded on range.

!!!DANGER!!! Do Not Go Around LIVE-FIRE BARRICADES!
Other Numbers:
For accommodations call FHL Billeting Office (831) 386-2511 or Hacienda (831) 386-2446.
For Camping information call FHL Moral Welfare and Recreation (MWR) at (831) 386-2612
For access through FHL to the National Forest call Law Enforcement Activity (LEA) at (831) 386-2526

Link: http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

Hunting Permit: http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt...ntingpermit.pdf

denis

hey guys, my brother and nephew want to give pig hunting a try, i realize a guide is the best way to go but the cost is a problem for them. they dont need a honey whole just a place to get a chance. i was told hunter Liggett is a tough place unless you really know it?? anyone have any ideas on public land?they are will to camp OUT AND hunt hard.any ideas would help.denis

AnewBigDaddyB

:smiley_10sign: I have two brothers that have been hunting there for maybe as long as 35 years and have reasonably well over that span!

Several deer & pigs over the course!

Enough so, that they never resorted to the local vicinity private hunt opportunities!

I went there for upland hunting a few seasons in a row, and had lots of fun!

Just northwest of there is National Forest Lands that can be hunted as well! NO FEES!

Thanks for posting this... I've been planning a trip up there to do some deer and pig hunting. I didn't realize that there was so much to hunt there though. Working for the Feds, I hope gives me a "leg-up" to get pulled for next seasons deer tags.

Beastslayer

I have tried FHL hunting several times but not been lucky. Indeed, it's a game rich piece of government property.

My friends though have had a good harvests of bucks and hogs. Even some teenage hunters had been lucky with hogs.

The difference maybe is that I would take to hunting there once or twice a year. My friends though would be there in the openings and every week-end if there is a tip of games becoming active.

The downside at FHL is that you almost have to be a road-hunter since trails criss-cross all over. A good strategy is to have both deer and pig tags during the deer-hunting season. The rabbits are huge and quail will almost walk under your feet if you are standing still.

The Northwest, as ABDB mentioned, is some very beautiful "Last of the Mohicans" country.

Big Country

Dont even waste your money and time. Pigs have been pressured out and the place is over hunted. The worst part about this place is the game warden ready to shake you down for no reason. Take my advice and get out of state. Utah is appreciative of the hunters who provide revenue and support for true conservation. It’s beautiful country out there but the local game warden is a piece of shit!