Favorite Fly Patterns?

FlyFishing

Anyone have favorite fly patterns? Some have favorites to fish with but not to tie, while having favorites to tie but not necessarily fish.

I'm really enjoying a lot of stillwater fly fishing and using chironomids.

What are your favorite patterns?

What kind of patterns are common for trout up there?

Down here in the Sierras, elk hair caddis and emergers work well along with basic mosquito patterns and pheasant tail bead head nymphs. I'm just a dry fly hacker though.

FlyFishing

QUOTE (DKScott @ Sep 26 2010, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285156
What kind of patterns are common for trout up there?

Down here in the Sierras, elk hair caddis and emergers work well along with basic mosquito patterns and pheasant tail bead head nymphs. I'm just a dry fly hacker though.

Hey DKScott (is Scott your last name by any chance? It's my last name).

There are several common patterns here - Caddis probably being the most popular where I fish the most. On the Grand River near Fergus, ON, they say, "think caddis, caddis, caddis" :) As far as nymphs, pheasant tail bead heads work very well, as do a variety of streamers and wet flies. One I really like is called the "Quinchat's Glimmer."

I also do quite a bit of smallmouth bass fishing on the fly - and they'll take a good number of nymph patterns as well. In stillwater, leech patterns work great for rainbows.

Ian Scott

tmoniz

Flies in Ca where I live are usually very small. Down to 22's.
I normally buy from Bluefly Cafe.
Never tried to tie.

T$

FlyFishing

QUOTE (tmoniz @ Sep 26 2010, 08:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285160
Flies in Ca where I live are usually very small. Down to 22's.
I normally buy from Bluefly Cafe.
Never tried to tie.

T$

Size 22's are used here too... but I wouldn't say flies are usually very small. I don't tie them that small myself - my eyes are just not good enough and when I'm down to that size of hook, I'm all thumbs.

Ian

FlyFishing

QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Sep 26 2010, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285173
If I could only have one? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, beadhead.

I'd be a bit torn on that. There's a fly an awesome fly tying friend gave to me called The Muncher. It's very productive! As well, leech patterns or wooley buggers can work well when others don't.

Thankfully, I don't think I'll need to have only one!

pitdog

Old and grumpy

Attachments

FlyFishing

QUOTE (pitdog @ Sep 27 2010, 01:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285211
I like streamers because they work all day. Size 4 Grey Ghost for the ocean and a size 8 to 12 Hornberg for Crappie, bluegill and trout. I like to tie the hornberg but Junglecock hackle aint cheap... We usually outfish everyone on the lake with those.

I've never tied or used either. The Grey Ghost has Jungle ###### as well, does it not?

What are you fishing for in the ocean?

pitdog

Old and grumpy

I use that G Ghost locally for baitfish - Mak's and Bonito's ... I tied some with blue and green hackle and they Killed the fish! I'll find some and take a pic.
I catch them on a #6 rod so it's entertainment when I get a big one to grab.

pitdog

Old and grumpy
I've never tied or used either. The Grey Ghost has Jungle ###### as well, does it not?

Yes they both have it.

I like to tie the Hornsberg more but it's a bitch sometimes finding perfect Mallard flank to match. My dog got into my hackle and tore up a lot of great saddles. I was able to salvage the JungleC cape or I would have a dead dog. LOL $250 for a decent saddle. :angry:

hronk

Welcome:
Here in the Sierras we do use a lot of tiny patterns depending on the time of year and waters fished. I use 16-20 midges under an indicator in waters like Bridgeport and Crowley. I use the same flies but in sizes 80-12 for the big Cuts in Pyramid Lake (nv) Also throw big Wooly Buggers in size 2-6 on a full sink shooting head at Pyramid. In the rivers and streams Elk hair Caddis, Blue Wing olives and Blue duns work in sizes from 16 down to 22's. In the Winter the tiny sizes are usually the way to go. I fished the Madison, Yellowstone and Big Hole 2 weeks ago and had a ball with #8 Hoppers, the one pattern that I don't tie. In the salt I stick with the go-to patterns that the guides recommend like Charlies, Puglisi Minnows and crabs. I did catch my Yellowfin and Skippys out of San Diego on Decievers. I always carry at least 1 Fly rod on any hunting trip that I go on, even if it's in the deserts of Nevada....hronk

sdhunter

I don't tie flies, but if I had to choose one for the Eastern Sierras, it would be the black gnat.

tmoniz

When I did float tube the lakes in Mammoth I used Green Matukas, Green and Black wolly Buggers and the Gold Ribbed Hare's ear. On the Owens I use a very small Adams, Olive Parachutes and Black Ants and a bead head Prince Nymph.
I met a 14 year old kid one year on the Green River that tied his own. It was a Mountain Renegade. I bought some from him and I was really nailing some big browns. Also used small Hoppers there.
I've been watching a couple locals here flycasting into the surf with 6 and 7 weight rods. I haven't approached them yet about what they are using but it looked like fun.

T$

FlyFishing

QUOTE (pitdog @ Sep 27 2010, 01:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285214

I use that G Ghost locally for baitfish - Mak's and Bonito's ... I tied some with blue and green hackle and they Killed the fish! I'll find some and take a pic.
I catch them on a #6 rod so it's entertainment when I get a big one to grab.

Ah, sounds awesome! I'm not near the salt - but some years ago, I went to Puerto Rico for tarpon. When the tarpon weren't active, we got into bonito and mackerel and that was a lot of fun. I can't recall what flies we used though.

Love to see photos, and I bet it's a blast on a 6 wt. rod.

Ian

FlyFishing

QUOTE (hronk @ Sep 27 2010, 09:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285235
Welcome:
Here in the Sierras we do use a lot of tiny patterns depending on the time of year and waters fished. I use 16-20 midges under an indicator in waters like Bridgeport and Crowley. I use the same flies but in sizes 80-12 for the big Cuts in Pyramid Lake (nv) Also throw big Wooly Buggers in size 2-6 on a full sink shooting head at Pyramid. In the rivers and streams Elk hair Caddis, Blue Wing olives and Blue duns work in sizes from 16 down to 22's. In the Winter the tiny sizes are usually the way to go. I fished the Madison, Yellowstone and Big Hole 2 weeks ago and had a ball with #8 Hoppers, the one pattern that I don't tie. In the salt I stick with the go-to patterns that the guides recommend like Charlies, Puglisi Minnows and crabs. I did catch my Yellowfin and Skippys out of San Diego on Decievers. I always carry at least 1 Fly rod on any hunting trip that I go on, even if it's in the deserts of Nevada....hronk

Sounds like fun!

I'd say it's fairly similar here too.. have a variety of sizes and flies for whatever the conditions. Caddis are major here, and there are a bunch of different patterns - one in particular called the "Dancing Caddis" aka "Tap Dance Caddis" - sparsely tied, and can be very effective when you give it some movement on top of the water.

FlyFishing

QUOTE (pitdog @ Sep 27 2010, 01:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285211
I like streamers because they work all day. Size 4 Grey Ghost for the ocean

and a size 8 to 12 Hornberg

for Crappie, bluegill and trout. I like to tie the hornberg but Junglecock hackle aint cheap... We usually outfish everyone on the lake with those.

I just noticed you added images - thank you! And those are some beautiful flies, Pitdog. That's awesome work!