Fatal Accidential Discharge at Raahauges 1/14/17

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
I guess only the investigation will provide details if it was truly "accidental".

slinky_70

Reaction score
I can see the lawsuits now. Insurance company will pay out and then the place will be closed. Just like Irvine lake

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
Accidents are when an 85 year old craps their pants, This was carelessness.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
slinky_70 said:
I can see the lawsuits now. Insurance company will pay out and then the place will be closed. Just like Irvine lake
Mike,

My 1st thoughts.........The wolves just sit in the bushes waiting for something like this to happen.......... :smiley-shakehead-blue:

fish dog

Reaction score
Can't find it now but saw somewhere where it said someone had fired a rifle on the pistol range and it went either through or over a backstop and hit someone.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
From reading the thread on calguns, it sounds like the range is designed with plywood on top of the berm at the end of the range Pic: http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20150512/289ebb8ad532b98ed95dd5a83fbd6420.jpg

But... there are actually ranges on the other side of the berm. I have never shot there but checked out the range on google maps and took the screenshot below. Sounds like someone was waiting to shoot on one of the ranges on the other side of the berm, and a round came from behind him, ricocheted off the plywood on top of the bay, and struck him in the back. If someone has shot there before.... is this honestly how this range is designed (where you have active ranges stacked back to back?) If so.... what a terrible terrible design... they will be sued out of existence. Very sad for the shooting community.

Attachments

• range.PNG
    range.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
From what many say on Calguns (and that stuff is obviously unsubstantiated), this incident was a matter of time. Terrible tragedy but one that could have been prevented.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
That does seem like an odd setup but I am no firing range expert.

I would assume the insurance provider was aware of that setup and still insured them...

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Odd design for sure, but what round could penetrate a berm that thick and why would anyone in the forward bay ever be above it? Even if they were, the guy in the rear bay would have to be shooting over it. Strange circumstances

chavid

Reaction score
Very sad and god bless the victim family, the shooter family and everyone at Raahauges! Just a few week ago the entire office and other building got burn down to the ground and now this...

Fowl Play

Reaction score
DKScott said:
Odd design for sure, but what round could penetrate a berm that thick and why would anyone in the forward bay ever be above it? Even if they were, the guy in the rear bay would have to be shooting over it. Strange circumstances
I think what people are saying is the round penetrated the boards at the top of the berm and then tumbled it's way down into the bay on the opposite side. First thought is a pistol would not have done that, someone was probably shooting a rifle. Freak accident for sure which also probably required some reckless shooting in the first bay, but... placing people down range of an active range (regardless of the berm) allows for freak stuff like this to happen.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Still weird a ricochet like that would retain that much energy. Wonder what the guy was shooting? Those bays don't look like they are good for much more than an AR

TheGDog

Reaction score
When you're at the benches at that place (raahauges)... at the rifle range anyway (I don't know about pistol range there) out in front of the bench they have an upper piece of wood coming down from the roof of that bench area structure that very purposefully comes down quite a ways in order to limit/dissuade a person from shooting off a round at a high angle. I remember taking a few milliseconds to look at it and figure out why is was there since I was used to Burro Canyon in LA where it's just a bench and a roof and that's it.