E-Collar Recommendation For Duck Hunting

bigflyfish

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I have a new Puppy and we are getting ready for her first duck season season. Training is going great. It is time to put an E-Collar on her what do you guys use? I hunt mostly ducks but do hunt some upland as well. Am thinking about the Garmin/Tritronics Pro 550 or the Garmin Alpha. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Lance

duck-boy

Reaction score
I had a tritronics I was happy with. Customer service was great when I dumped my controlley in the water. Not the guy to ask but if you don't need it I wouldn't use one. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable guys here on this subject though.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
And thats where i step in...lloyd has one..it constantly stays on 9..if they had one that went to 11..it would be on 11,,happy ducking this weekend..get one!!

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Take my advice and don't wear an anti-bark collar. ESSposse made me wear one to keep me from calling the ducks. Sure It worked, but we no longer hunt together.

take em

Reaction score
I've got a Tritronics Pro 100, it's been bullet proof for five years now through Wister mud and Mojave rocks and cactus. I add the garmin GPS when running my dog for chuckar and quail. The alpha has some nice features, but a bit pricy and I like the idea of being able to seperate so I don't subject a expensive gps to the conditions of duck hunting when it's not needed. Remember to only use to reinforce commands your dog already knows and use the lowest levels possible,a wet dog conducts really well. I rarely have to use anything but the paging function to get my GSP to do what I need. Check out Lion Country Supply or Gun Dog Supply for specials.

czduckz

Reaction score
I have a dogtra that is waterproof and it works great. I use it in the field as well.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
I am probably just going to start Ranger off with the Garmin Delta. I talked to my breeder/trainer and this is all he uses even on his MH dog. Ranger probably wont need the collar per se but I will be using it to enforce some things, but mostly I will leave the collar training for when he goes back to the trainer early next year. If I buy one, I may just get him used to it by wearing it when we train.

The collar is on my to do list.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
take em said:
I've got a Tritronics Pro 100, it's been bullet proof for five years now through Wister mud and Mojave rocks and cactus. I add the garmin GPS when running my dog for chuckar and quail. The alpha has some nice features, but a bit pricy and I like the idea of being able to seperate so I don't subject a expensive gps to the conditions of duck hunting when it's not needed. Remember to only use to reinforce commands your dog already knows and use the lowest levels possible,a wet dog conducts really well. I rarely have to use anything but the paging function to get my GSP to do what I need. Check out Lion Country Supply or Gun Dog Supply for specials.
+1

RTIN

Reaction score
Dogtra and keep you finger off the trigger.
CC can ruin a dog quick if not done right.
I suggest you talk to or have a pro introduce the collar if your new to the process.
Have a great season with your new pup.

britlab

Reaction score
dogtra I have trained and field trialed dog for over 25 years when dogtra first started making e-collars they gave me serial#97 to test and give my feedback. dose everything I need and still works like the day I got it and has only had the batteries twice.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
For 80% Waterfowl and 20% Upland, nothing other than the SportDog WetlandHunter...Gonna set you back about $280...

Reaction score
Tritronics has worked great for me, I recharge after the hunt. I try not to go 2 days of use without recharging. I would hate for it to stop working in the middle of a day in the field.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
I have a dogtra & the alpha......the dogtra is bullet proof and works fine.......unless your dog gets out of sight.......that's where the alpha shines!

The alpha is the bomb......I got the alpha for chasing BG. But knowing exactly where your dog is when he's out of sight makes the hunt VERY enjoyable no matter what your hunting. Plus the alpha controler does everything but make calls and take pictures.......and if your buddies have the same units you can text them and see all the dogs.

It's expensive but BUY ONCE CRY ONCE is my motto