Duck Hunting Article I Wrote To Help Beginners

nmbrinkman

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but as a beginner with one season under my belt I can attest to the quality of the information dispensed in this post. I didn't read this before now but luckily with research and educated guesses in terms of gear purchases I've blindly followed the beaten path described in this post. I started (last fall) with a synthetic 870 express, hip waders a brown fleece and a fleece mask. Since then I got a set of 6 Avian-X Mallard decoys, 6 GHG GW Teal decoys, a quackhead J frame single reed call, Buck Gardener Double Nasty II, and his whistle on a nice Avery paracord lanyard. After skinny dipping my way to D1 at SJ after Tom assured us my hip waders were sufficient to get to the check upgraded to some cabelas waders and hand warmer/shell holder. Also got a drake full zip hooded wader jacket to upgrade the Marine Corps issue desert fleece (plus it's waterproof). I plan on upgrading the shotgun next week with a Winchester SX3 in camo. It doesn't quite follow suit like the rest of th OP's post but I found some spare change and it's the one luxury I really like. Plus my fat face has to nearly imbed itself into the stock to get a good look down the low profile rib of my 870. Add a jerk string to my decoys and I'm set for now.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Nathan said:
I know this is an old post but as a beginner with one season under my belt I can attest to the quality of the information dispensed in this post. I didn't read this before now but luckily with research and educated guesses in terms of gear purchases I've blindly followed the beaten path described in this post. I started (last fall) with a synthetic 870 express, hip waders a brown fleece and a fleece mask. Since then I got a set of 6 Avian-X Mallard decoys, 6 GHG GW Teal decoys, a quackhead J frame single reed call, Buck Gardener Double Nasty II, and his whistle on a nice Avery paracord lanyard. After skinny dipping my way to D1 at SJ after Tom assured us my hip waders were sufficient to get to the check upgraded to some cabelas waders and hand warmer/shell holder. Also got a drake full zip hooded wader jacket to upgrade the Marine Corps issue desert fleece (plus it's waterproof). I plan on upgrading the shotgun next week with a Winchester SX3 in camo. It doesn't quite follow suit like the rest of th OP's post but I found some spare change and it's the one luxury I really like. Plus my fat face has to nearly imbed itself into the stock to get a good look down the low profile rib of my 870. Add a jerk string to my decoys and I'm set for now.

Glad you caught the bug. Sounds like you are off to a great start. As the season gets closer a lot more people will be around for help.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Nathan,

The question is................Did you bag any ducks?

It sounds like your well on your way to being a true waterfowler...................... :2:

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
Great read, great info, and you all know how I fill about helping out new guys. LOVED it thanks for taking the time to share what we love some much,

guys its guys like this that will help save our sport and willing to give a helping hand to a new guy is what way this place was started.

GREAT JOB!!!!! :smiley_10sign: :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua: :smiley_tofrocks:

wingnutz

Reaction score
just joined this site and so glad i did as an avid hunter and new hunting dog owner, black lab pup, this will be my new go to forum

thanks a ton for this info, want to get my 12 yr old grandson into waterfowl hunting (though im probably a little late for this year)and more upland hunting, , we have done alot of Coyote hunting and several Dove trips to the IV and drove by the Wister unit and it looks to be an incredible place to hunt.

I live in wildomar about 20 minutes from san jacinto but have never been by there...wish i knew about the work party there, i put my grandson in for the jr only pheasant hunt there so hopefully he gets picked and we can learn more about the area

anyway great site guys and look forward to learning more from you

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Welcome Wing'er

Hope we can help you and your grandson get into the fowling world................. :smiley_welcome_sign:

wingnutz

Reaction score
Thanks sprig, hey is 4 winds club separate from the San Jacinto upland/waterfowl area..

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Thanks sprig, hey is 4 winds club separate from the San Jacinto upland/waterfowl area..
Yes it is......Although SJWA is acquiring more land near it.

wingnutz

Reaction score
ok, thanks ,good to know, im gonna have go take a look around

Mbranley

Reaction score
Great Read Thanks for the info! I'm brand new to the sport of hunting waterfowl and my step brother who is an avid duck guy lives 3000 miles away. I have read through a few books and came across this forum which has been the most help. If anyone is looking to help a fresh rookie greenie newbie ( never been on a duck hunt) learn the ways of so cal duck hunting i would greatly appreciate it. I'm more of a hands on in the field learner as books and reading can only go so far. I work a great schedule that affords me week and weekends off. If your up to the task let me know. It would be awesome to hit the blind with a mentor so i don't form any bad habits or do anything toooo stupid. Again awesome forum!