Dow @ 17,000...

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. :hog:

upper

Reaction score
Ranch motto Hogskin............................................................Upper

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Here we go...

Fowl Play

Reaction score
pitdog said:
Glad to hear it Skeet.

The theory of systematic investing is acquiring as many shares as possible. Once you retire, that's when you want the market go up. When I do 401k seminars, I show them how much more they benefit if the market drops and then recovers during the accumulation/funding phase vs. funding it at a fixed price, or worse, a steady incline. If you put an even amount each pay cycle and the market price drops, it's like buying the shares on sale. Those of you that have been funding since 2008 benefited greatly.

I know most of you know this, but if there's a chance a youngster is reading this, it might help him/her stay the course when things get ugly.
I'm one of those youngsters... allot I need to learn -- so thanks for posting stuff like this. I also have ISO's to consider... which (at least for me) made something already complicated, ridiculous... I really hate the AMT...

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
FP, your befits department should be more than willing to explain the benefits that you qualify for. That's their job. ISO's, ESOP's, QSO's, etc.. can be very complicated and there are no 2 exactly alike so ask them to explain it to you and don't let them brush you off by handing you a brochure or a link to the plan.

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
My dad was the first to develop ESOP's when he was VP of HR at Signal Oil and Gas. Everything you see now is a form of what he started. I think he made more millionaires than Bill Gates.
Having said that, my wife is a pretty savvy investor, and she still doesn't fully understand her company ESOP .

cduck

Reaction score
Dollar cost averaging and hold for the long term..... baby! the only way to go. i am not smart enough to time the market and know few people that are.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
STEVE IN SOCAL said:
My dad was the first to develop ESOP's when he was VP of HR at Signal Oil and Gas. Everything you see now is a form of what he started. I think he made more millionaires than Bill Gates.
Having said that, my wife is a pretty savvy investor, and she still doesn't fully understand her company ESOP .
That's awesome. I figured they were around for over 100 years but I stand corrected:

In 1956, Louis Kelso invented the first ESOP, which allowed the employees of Peninsula Newspapers to buy out the company founders.[22] Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Russell Long, a Democrat from Louisiana, helped develop tax policy for ESOPs within the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA), calling it one of his most important accomplishments in his career.[23] ESOPs also attracted interest of Republican leaders including Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon, and Gerald Ford, andRonald Reagan.[24]

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Crapshoot said:
How does one know if there is going to be a QE4? Fed makes an announcement?
QE4 is already here.

Well today I would have been right on the money with my prediction if the market would have closed at the 15850 low that it hit this morning. My official guess was 17300 for the high (actual high was 17297 on Sept 19th) and it hit the 10% correction on the low today so I was pretty close.

Look for slow growth ahead. I believe It will be a stock pickers market going forward. Tactical unconstrained investing will likely be the front-runners. Those of you who add to their portfolio, you just got a price break!

DISCLOSURE: Investing in stocks, bonds, real estate, commodities, ETF's, MLP's, LLP's, mutual funds and variable products have risks which may include adverse market condition risks, investment strategy risk, aggressive investment techniques risk, concentration risk, correlation risk, counterparty risk, credit risk and lower-quality debt securities risk, energy securities risk, equity securities risk, financial services companies risks, interest rate risk, inverse correlation risk, leverage risk, market risk, non-diversification risk, shorting risk, small and mid cap company risk, tracking error risk, and special risks of exchange traded funds, among others... But boy is it fun! :smiley-wnk-yellow:

RTIN

Reaction score
If have you have 500k in your 401k today I'm sure you were as short as breath as I was.
I'm tired of this market that is driven by speculation.
It's the game I guess and we ride it out.
Btw...I bought some good shit today!
Lol

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Rooster said:
If have you have 500k in your 401k today I'm sure you were as short as breath as I was.
I'm tired of this market that is driven by speculation.
It's the game I guess and we ride it out.
Btw...I bought some good ###### today!
Lol
Rob, this was nothing. As long as you don't plan on using the money in the short term, think of it as a buying opportunity. Right now your biggest concern should be share accumulation. When you get closer to retirement, start shifting it out of the market (when it's up) and don't look back.
And you're right, the market is all about speculation and it has always been. It's also about greed.

newbee

Reaction score
Hey Steve....Hope all is welll

The statements of QE and tepid inflation............To me those two statements are about as far apart as you can get

Pretty great call on your predicted top.......can you PM me some lotto numbers?

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
STEVE IN SOCAL said:
My investing savvy wife took 150k out about a month ago...shopping now.
Steve, have her do some due diligence on some of her favorite energy stocks. This is a Russia squeeze (dumping reserves on the market and unitedly keeping full production to bring down the cost - plus a strong dollar, which is the currency of OPEC) and it won't last... And there's this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-15/opec-finding-u-s-shale-harder-to-crack-as-rout-deepens.html
Canada is also getting squeezed and, as the article above details, our shale oil process is too expensive to process at these prices.

We triggered out of just about all of our energy stocks at a nice profit when oil went south... This is likely temporary (I could be wrong) We're looking for a nice buy in price right now. Bottom line you might find some profits here if you do your DD. Or PM me and I will give her a few of my favorites.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Crapshoot said:
Hey Steve....Hope all is welll

The statements of QE and tepid inflation............To me those two statements are about as far apart as you can get

Pretty great call on your predicted top.......can you PM me some lotto numbers?
Brian, my lotto numbers are as follows: 8 6 7 5 3 0 9 ... Always liked Tommy Two-Tone.

newbee

Reaction score
I'm playing those numbers

So is my thinking correct. Fed QE buys all bonds, no one else buys US debt, limited options on where the money that would have gone to bonds can flow. So the money flows to the stock market and the market rises. But it would have never gone up if the Fed didn't QE. Is there any historical examples where a country can just print it's way out of debt? The historical examples I find all lead to the fiat currency crashing. I never thought I'd live to see the day the dollar crash but now I'm not so sure