Dog getting chafing

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
I bought my GSP a new waterfowl vest and noticed she came home with redness under her rear legs. I assume it's from the vest and it needs to be trimmed more.

Can I give her anything to help her heal from the chafing?

Boomer

Reaction score
DKScott said:
^ this. Although locally, you really don't need a vest.
True, but I like the vest for it's protective features. My lab leaps and bounds in the shallow water and veg. Under the surface there could be an old t post ready to impale his chest..

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Lloyd gets that all the time..his underarms and man tits chaff quiet often...a little powder and he,s good to go..

duck-boy

Reaction score
Absolutely what Boomer says. Also gives them a bit more buoyancy if they get themselves in trouble. Second the Bag balm.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Matt, its those calluses. Use some hand lotion before spending quality time with Lloyd.

My issue with dogs wearing things in water is that they can get hung up on submerged branches, roots. It happens. It happened to a girl who used to post here. Her name escapes me, but her GSP was named Hawk (anyone remember her? Ex-Marine, I think her name was Gail). He got hooked up on the far side of a small lake she got to him as he was going under for good. I guess it was a pretty dramatic swim in a cold lake. I have heard a couple first person accounts over the years and in tests, you aren't allowed to have a collar of any kind on the dog for safety reasons. The other thing, I see these poor dogs all trussed up in hot environment like Wister and I feel sorry for them. So my dogs work nekkid in the water. I might make an exception if there is something I need to correct, but that is really for training days. The only injuries they have had is the notorious Wister Foot

duck-boy

Reaction score
Ill definitely keep that in mind DKScott,
Hunted my lab for 13 seasons and never had the Wis Foot, but this will be my new pups first season. How does one avoid this? What is it?

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Its a small puncture wound in the bottom of the foot between the pads. Within about an hour the dog's foot will swell up like a baseball bat. and a few days or a week later, (and a bunch of Clavamox) it makes a boil and drains an unbelievable amount of pus, usually though the top of the foot or between the toes. Not sure how you avoid it. Booties aren't really practical. Its pretty uncommon, but hunt refuges enough and eventually you'll deal with it.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Never had a problem with any lab at Wister till Trigger.....He's now 7 and I'm guessing he's had the Wis Foot at least 5 times.....Always looks like he was hit by a rattler.

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
Some vest fit different than others I usually stay with Avery dog vest never had issues. The cheaper the vest the more problems you will have

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
I use tri-care 3 way wound treatment. It seems to take the itching & pain away, stops infection & creates a water/germ/fly proof barrier

Feed stores carry it

Only problem I've had in the reeds was once she had the bird and a few reeds in her mouth and would not let go of the bird until we paddled out to get her to drop the bird. She wasn't going to last to much longer most bigger dogs just break the reeds but I've heard a few stories of similar issues

Wis foot? And you guys eat those ducks? YUM!

Hunt'EmUp

Reaction score
duck-boy said:
Ill definitely keep that in mind DKScott,
Hunted my lab for 13 seasons and never had the Wis Foot, but this will be my new pups first season. How does one avoid this? What is it?
Best way is to wash the dogs feet after hunting, with clean water and inspect. If you can catch it and clean-drain (soaking morning and night) prior to the big blow-up you usually can get away with a couple of days down time and not the big blow-out hole requiring antibiotics. Gets so I just lance them when they start to swell, clean out the nasty white junk, and they heal up quickly. Still if you wash their feet and get all the crappy mud junk out (as soon as your done), chances are you'll see less of it. That and don't hunt the dang tuley pond wilderness across the road, there the water tends to stagnant. Worst season we ever had of it was the initial season where they flooded those ponds; all the crap-spores-bacteria etc. just waiting for water to get them blooming.