Do you tie your own? Favorite fly to tie?

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
My favorite fly to tie is the Virtual Stone Fly and my favorite fly to use is the Hornsberg.

WHAT'S YOURS?

DariusTaxidermy

Pro Taxidermist
Reaction score
NOTHING :biggrin-gift:

But I gotcha some Javalina trimming you asked about :rolleyes:

Let me know what else yer looking for :biggrin-gift:

Darius

tattooedfreak

Reaction score
I used to tie my own, and liked tying and using the hair's ear nymph. The trick was to learn how to nymphy upstream. Not easy, but deadly.

My dad used to tie professionally, and likes to tie wooly buggers and his own patterns of streamers. He always recommends letting the streamer run down stream from you and then just hold it there, you can drop it back into those brush piles that way, where the biguns live.

Anyway, that's my .02.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
NOTHING :Reagan-hittin-head-ani:

But I gotcha some Javalina trimming you asked about :smiley_rotflmao:

Let me know what else yer looking for :smiley_rotflmao:

Darius
Thanks again for hide. I'll tie you some flies for your next fishing trip.

nemo

Reaction score
i haven't tied my own fly yet..wish i could..i really get mixed up in the middle of doing it. any pattern for dry flies?or caddis?

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Nemo, first off, welcome to TOF!

I have a great website for you;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Hit the "beginning tying" tab on the left and from there you have a plethora of great info and recipe's.

Careful... It's VERY addictive! :smiley-bag-on-head:

yotegetter

Reaction score
I like to tie the Elk Hair Caddis, I fish the heck out of it too. Really easy to tie!

I like to use soft hackle.

FlyFishing

Reaction score
For a number of reasons, I just have not been able to do as much tying in the past few months as I would have hoped I could have done. However, one thing you'll find a lot of in my fly box are chironomids. I didn't really fish chironomids much until about three or so years ago, when I really learned to fish them and since then, I've tied up a lot of different chronie patterns.

One thing about chironomids, they are a quick tie! And in places where you are allowed to fish more than one fly, they can be deadly when other patterns are not taking, especially in stillwater.

Ian Scott

Reaction score
Both my son and I tie, and we tie most of our flies using the fur and feathers from the little critters we harvest during the season.

My favorite flies to tie are the classics, Adams, Quill Gordons , BWO's etc.. My favorite fly to fish in our local streams mainly due to its ability to produce even on non hatch days is the EC Caddis.

madhunter

Reaction score
I tried to tie my own a few years back but they looked like crap. My favorite fly for the sierras is a black ant.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Yellow Humpy?....................This thread was started when we 1st started TOF................... :smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign:

weekender21

Reaction score
I don't really have a favorite fly to tie anymore, that's all I did in high school but would rather just fish most of the time now days. Maybe if I ever live somewhere with a winter again I'll get back into it!

I would never go trout fishing without an elk hair caddis, that's for sure! I got into tying really small midges (22-32) at one time. Challenging to tie and the fish won't let one drift past if you present it properly.