Dickweed's NM bull

paulc

Moderator
GUNDOGLOVER said:
I need to get some of those trash bags. Do they make them for large dumpsters?
I think I wear the largest one they make unless you go industrial.
 

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Awesome work as always!!!

I agree, the trash bag is a good look... Did I see you on the Venice pier this weekend (just kidding, I wouldn't waste a fall weekend at that dump).

Ya'll are auto-magic in the backcountry...
 

El Maton

New Member
Bitchen hunt no doubt! I personally know how hard you guys worked not only on this hunt but on every hunt you guys are a part of. Thanks again for your hospitality and help on my hunt, as usual always a blast!
 

paulc

Moderator
El Maton said:
Bitchen hunt no doubt! I personally know how hard you guys worked not only on this hunt but on every hunt you guys are a part of. Thanks again for your hospitality and help on my hunt, as usual always a blast!
Jaime, it came to seconds for it being a horrible day. Everything went wrong starting when he lost sight of the bull around 8:00. When he finally got a shot off, were were sure it was a miss and I was questioning why he even took such a long shot. Cant imagine how things changed when we walked up on a dead bull around 3 or 4:00.
 

2rocky

Well-Known Member
Great bull. That fog and rain looks more like a PNW Roosevelt hunt than New Mexico High Desert. Must be climate change.

The fire with the clothes hanging by the carcass brought back memories of elk hunts in Wyoming.
 

ofdscooby

Well-Known Member
when are are you guys getting your own show or maybe you just need to start your own you tube channel. Come on everyone is doing it how about the adventures of Pman and Dickweed
 

paulc

Moderator
ofdscooby said:
when are are you guys getting your own show or maybe you just need to start your own you tube channel. Come on everyone is doing it how about the adventures of Pman and Dickweed
Zach is in his Junior year at NMSU and working on a geology degree.. He has never been a good student, but, he has been grinding it out probably because I have been pushing him. A couple months ago when the pressure was getting to him he asked me what I thought of making a living in hunting. He is really into the instagram and has a good network with some of the better people in the hunting industry. I strongly discouraged it. I just would not want hunting to become a job. Hope I was right about my advice. That is the scary part about someone taking your advice. You hope you are not wrong.
 

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
A guy can get jaded real quick..my 2 cents would be pick and choose your clients carefully..makes a long day a good day..
 

ofdscooby

Well-Known Member
What’s that saying about getting paid to do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life. You guys are already doing what you love now you just need to get paid but definitely needs to finish that degree first I agree 100% on that.
 
Guiding/outfitting is a hand to mouth existence for most if not all. Better to have a good career and the income to buy what you want. Invest well in passive income and later on you can be the master of your fate. Youth is impatient, often at the cost of greater rewards over the long term.

Paul, IMO, your own career/business arc is a good model for DW. (just let him know you plan to die broke :) )

That's my advice and worth every penny you paid for it.
 

GUNDOGLOVER

Well-Known Member
With your guidance he will make the right choice. I do know that there are times when ones passion becomes their job, and then they no longer have a passion, just a job. Chose wisely.
 

El Maton

New Member
Having personally spent time on the mountain with DW and the young man definitely has his sh!t together! Whatever he decides on doing I'm sure he will be successful! Paul done did good!
 

2rocky

Well-Known Member
If he puts his geology degree to work, he can quickly move up to 4-6 weeks off a year of paid vacation. Then he could guide a select group of hunters, while getting paid. All the professional hunting guides I have met have had another career. Either before, or concurrently while guiding seasonally.

I would seriously have an issue guiding a client whom I didn't feel "deserved" a big critter. I wouldn't feel bad about someone catching a big fish though....

If Zach is interested in how to put his Geology degree to work, I have friends who had a seismology surveying business in Western Wyoming who could point him in the right direction. They now run a Summer Camp and a wilderness lodge along the CDT.
 

paulc

Moderator
El Maton said:
Having personally spent time on the mountain with DW and the young man definitely has his sh!t together! Whatever he decides on doing I'm sure he will be successful! Paul done did good!
Thanks Jaime, I value your opinion for sure. Proud of him. So, this week he calls me and tells me he is bringing me 5 beers. I said why. (He turned 21 on the 10th of this month). He says I bought a 6 pack, opened one tasted it and poured it down the sink. I will stick to donuts and a glass of milk. He shows up at the house to process his bull and brings the beer. He bought Modelo Negra. The dark crap hardly nobody likes. I didnt say a word. Just prefer he does not get a taste for beer. hahaha
 

paulc

Moderator
2rocky said:
If he puts his geology degree to work, he can quickly move up to 4-6 weeks off a year of paid vacation. Then he could guide a select group of hunters, while getting paid. All the professional hunting guides I have met have had another career. Either before, or concurrently while guiding seasonally.

I would seriously have an issue guiding a client whom I didn't feel "deserved" a big critter. I wouldn't feel bad about someone catching a big fish though....

If Zach is interested in how to put his Geology degree to work, I have friends who had a seismology surveying business in Western Wyoming who could point him in the right direction. They now run a Summer Camp and a wilderness lodge along the CDT.
Seriously I will mention it to him. He says he definetly wants to stay in the mountains. If he decides to get a masters he said he may go to MT just because they have mountains. He did an internship in a Concrete Lab this summer, dont think he wants to do concrete. Probably oil.
 

paulc

Moderator
2rocky said:
If he puts his geology degree to work, he can quickly move up to 4-6 weeks off a year of paid vacation. Then he could guide a select group of hunters, while getting paid. All the professional hunting guides I have met have had another career. Either before, or concurrently while guiding seasonally.

I would seriously have an issue guiding a client whom I didn't feel "deserved" a big critter. I wouldn't feel bad about someone catching a big fish though....

If Zach is interested in how to put his Geology degree to work, I have friends who had a seismology surveying business in Western Wyoming who could point him in the right direction. They now run a Summer Camp and a wilderness lodge along the CDT.
sent you a pm when you get a chance.
 
Top