Decoy question

Bigflip64

Reaction score
I know there's a million and one answers to this but, just seeing what you guys are using at San Jac and Wister since they're the two closest to me. Getting all my gear collected to get back into waterfowl....I just got a set dozen GHG mallards and I'm looking on info rigging the weights....what the avg. length of decoy line you guys using out there? Also what weight? Is 4 oz enough? Been eyeing the J-hook type weights, but not really partial to them or the TX rigged ones. Sorry for the total noob question, but the uncle I used to duck hunt with as a kid passed & no one else in my family duck hunts...so a little help would be great! Also I know it may not be a good year for water, but hey gotta start somewhere right?!?!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
way to get an early start on them ducks...october sure cant get here soon enough..

fish dog

Reaction score
I like the "j" hook weights with the shock cord. I tried that sliding weight texas rig (I think that's what its called) and ended up with a tangled mess. Some said I must have done it wrong but I followed the instructions I got on line to the letter. Still there are many that swear by that rig and I'm sure they'll chime in. 4 ounces is plenty and about 4 feet should be all you'll need, most times less then that would be okay but there's a few ponds that are pretty deep and 4 feet would give you enough scope so the weight can drag and dig in to the bottom to hold. Some think I'm a little weird as I use 20 or 30 pound test spectra, which has the diameter of like 6 pound fishing line, for my anchor lines but I think this is much less visible from the air then the thick black "tangle free" cord that some use. Word of caution with the spectra though if you have a dog you might not want to use it as it can cut the dog.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I would use

$(KGrHqF,!qEFG0jFkZ1kBRt16uQ75w~~60_57.JPG

And

lead-free-pyramid-sinkers.jpg

And

$_57.JPG

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
IMHO using pyramid weights is a trade off. I believe you can use a smaller amount of weight because the weight grabs the mud, I used 2 oz for ducks and 4 oz for goose decoys for Wister and Kern. If you're hunting deeper water or moving water you need to go heavier

Duckfan

Reaction score
KID CREOLE said:
IMHO using pyramid weights is a trade off. I believe you can use a smaller amount of weight because the weight grabs the mud, I used 2 oz for ducks and 4 oz for goose decoys for Wister and Kern. If you're hunting deeper water or moving water you need to go heavier

[SIZE=10.5pt]Agree. I use rounded 2 oz weights as well. For refuge hunting, I never used more than 2 oz weights. Did not need the extra weight to carry. If it got windy, I would use my foot to push the weight into the mud and it always held for the day's refuge hunt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]bigflip64: Having some mallard dekes is great, but get some teal and shoveler and pintai decoys as well. Eventually, having some teal, shoveler, pintail, mallard and widgeon is a good choice. Mix them up a bit. I add Gadwall, redhead and Canvasbacks to my spread as well. But, starting out, it would be real nice if you had teal, mallard, shoveler, and pintail...at least. That’s just my opinion. Everyone has their own thoughts on what to put out. I change it up as needed or based on what I witness happening.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Good Luck[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]rick[/SIZE]

goose gobbler

Reaction score
To piggy back on duck fans comment,

When hunting San Jac and Wister mallard decoys are 3,4 maybe even 5th on my priority list of decoys to bring. Pintail is my #1 followed closely by wigeon,shoveler,gadwall then mallards. I use to be a big teal decoy fan but have phased them out over the years.

Bigflip64

Reaction score
goose gobbler said:
To piggy back on duck fans comment,

When hunting San Jac and Wister mallard decoys are 3,4 maybe even 5th on my priority list of decoys to bring. Pintail is my #1 followed closely by wigeon,shoveler,gadwall then mallards. I use to be a big teal decoy fan but have phased them out over the years.
Thanks everyone else for the tips! Gobbler, thanks for the inside info, It gives me some insight what I'll keep an eye out for! I'm sure I'll be picking your guys' brains on more info...hopefully I'll be able to thank you guys in person one day of I ever run into you out into the field.

goose gobbler

Reaction score
Kid Creole not sure if that was serious or sarcasm but I took some of my old decoys and painted them black. I think it helped. Plan on adding more

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
goose gobbler said:
Kid Creole not sure if that was serious or sarcasm but I took some of my old decoys and painted them black. I think it helped. Plan on adding more
Landon,

I'm a bit of a joker and I'm a little stealthy on how we hunt but I would never intentionally waste someones money.

We noticed late season about 10-15 yrs ago at Kern that Gadwall and Widgeon keyed in on large rafts of coots, coots are a sign of food and security.

Coots and motion will attract ducks especially Gadwall and Widgeon

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
socal duckie said:
BUY COOT DECOYS
:smiley_10sign:
Why so you can shoot coots all day? ...... I remember a guy on our club buying a dozen or so.... They only lasted a week before he realized he had every coot within 10 miles in his pond!! Hahaha

Your absolutely right duckie, except Bigflip asked guys who hunt Wister and San Jac. There is no comparison in hunting a club vs. the refuge, completely different set up like Kern would be different from Wister

We all know the toughest part about hunting a duck club is making sure one is sober enough the night before to set their alarm clock

MapMan

Reaction score
Bigflip64,
I have some Teal and Wigeon decoys Id like to sell. Im moving and dont really need them as I havent duck hunted in a long time. There GHG decoys and hardly used, with line and weights attached. I have 5 of each and I'll throw in a carry bag too. I also have some extra Mallards that are a little worn...

Im in Highland, not far from Beaumont. Id like a fellow TOF'er to have them. Let me know or they go out in a yard sale this Sat...

I sent u a PM too.

FYI. Kid Creole is a seasoned waterfowler and very knowledgable. He knows what works at Wister and San Jac, I'd take his advice...

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter
Reaction score
""""We all know the toughest part about hunting a duck club is making sure one is sober enough the night before to set their alarm clock"""""""

Alarm clock? We have the dancing girls wake us up with coffee and breakfast in bed.....then you dont have to worry about your sobriety....its a win win. :)

scfrank

Reaction score
For Wister, I use 2 oz. pencil weights. They are a soft lead that you can wrap around the keel and nothing gets tangled. They when you are hunting and you anticipate any wind, you can straighten them out and jab them in the mud. Even a hurricane won't blow them away then.
24" lines is plenty for here.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
KID CREOLE said:
BUY COOT DECOYS
:smiley_10sign:
Why so you can shoot coots all day? ...... I remember a guy on our club buying a dozen or so.... They only lasted a week before he realized he had every coot within 10 miles in his pond!! Hahaha
Your absolutely right duckie, except Bigflip asked guys who hunt Wister and San Jac. There is no comparison in hunting a club vs. the refuge, completely different set up like Kern would be different from Wister

We all know the toughest part about hunting a duck club is making sure one is sober enough the night before to set their alarm clock

That's true kid.... Especially the part about setting the alarm! Dam I hate having to make a 15 mile drive in 5 min!!!!