danger of flea and tick meds.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
My wife just came in and told me fox news reported that some flea and tick meds are a danger to pets. anyone else see the report or have you heard anything about this. My wife told me fox reported that many pets had died just from nomal use of the products. I will have to keep fox news on today and see if they have the same report later in the day.

duckwidow

Treat everyone likes it's their birthday.
Reaction score
which products? oral or topical products?

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
QUOTE (fish dog @ Mar 17 2010, 07:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=255845
Here ya go....
Fox Report on Flea Meds

Never had any problem with mine over the course of about 10 years at least - she's 12.

Thanks fishdog, I wasn't able to find the report. We have used the products for years now. I have know idea if it is related to the meds or not,but, last Aug. my 12 year old GSP had a seizure within days of useing the meds. we lost her.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Stay away from that over the counter stuff like Bio-Spot etc. People think they are the same as the prescription stuff that's applied in a similar way and they buy it because its cheaper. Those products are cheap for a reason. They contain pyrethrins, a potent poison. My friend put some on his pointer a few years ago and the dog's skin immediately turned bright red over his whole body.

Get the good stuff vet's recommend like Advantage. You can now buy online and the price has come way down.

Also, I use Advantage (I imagine Sentry is the same) and have found its lasts more than the 4 weeks indicated on the label. I usually get six weeks minimum from a dose and I only use it during flea season, so really I only use about 5 doses a year instead of 12 and that really brings the cost down.

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
At first used Revolution, but somehow the dog reacted to it. Switched to Advantage with no problems (no fleas or ticks either). Get a separate concoction from a vet pharmacy for heart worm season as that is not covered by Advantage.

Scott, just curious, I've been doing the "monthly" thing with Advantage, but am always looking to save money. How does one tell if the med is still working up to 6 weeks? Sometimes in the winter I've just skipped a month, but don't know if it was a good idea or not (dog didn't get fleas though).

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
I use it until the weather cools off and if I see a flea, I put more on. No fleas, no meds. Highly scientific...

Also the heartworm meds just flush through the dog's sytem in a day or so. It kills any larvae. That's why you need to get a new test if you miss a month. If the dog acquired heartworms and they grow, the meds will kill them in place and that can cause all sorts of serious complications. Google a pic of a heartworm infestation and you'll see what I mean. The flea suff is ivermectin and is much more benign

10greenheads

Reaction score
i used advantix and another brand from the vet. both products made paw weak or sore for two days. after that I used flea collars. I knew something was wrong