D16

ofdscooby

Reaction score
D16 opens up saturday just a reminder that humidities will be in the single digits winds 20-30 average with gusts to 45 and we do'nt need a hunter lighting San Diego's next big wild fire. I checked drift for my .243 traveling 3300 fps and at 300 yards and full value wind I have a drift of 20.21 inches at 600 its over 90 in. just sayin... Be careful out there..

Scooby

shayes11

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. CalFire is staffing 75 additional firefighters, 5 engines, and 1 air tanker in preparation for the Santa Ana's. Please don't give the anti's any more ammo against us. Good luck everyone.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Coleman just said light Santa Ana's not as big as once thought. Looks like Friday will have the wind.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
ABSOULUTLEY THE BEST DEER HUNTING WEATHER A BUCK HUNTER COULD ASK FOR!!! GO GET THEM BOYS...SPORKY BEWARE,,THE THUNDER BE COMING :smiley-shootin-green:

DirtyDave

Reaction score
It was cold and windy in D13 yesterday. Saw 7 does and yearlings in the evening and no bucks.

MuleDeerHunter

Reaction score
The forest is overdue to burn. Dumb fire policy is going to come back to bite everyone in the behind. There should be controlled burns every year, which would help the forest and wildlife. But, if it does catch fire it will be blamed a hunter or target shooter.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Yes the forest do need to burn, but do to the tree huggin, sue happy, special interests it wont happen. Every time we try to do a prescribed burn someone shuts it down.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Did a deer survey last night (authorized). Over 60 deer seen, about 10% confirmed bucks (lots of unknowns)............We're right on the bubble with the rut. A couple of the better bucks were right up the butts of does. I think the next couple of weeks will be better than tomorrow, but should still be good.

Hunting with one of the boys. I think he's pretty pumped................Good luck to all.

Lunch at Henshaw at about 11:30 for you guys that are up in that area...............Validation available as well................... :2:

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Did a deer survey last night (authorized). Over 60 deer seen, about 10% confirmed bucks (lots of unknowns)............We're right on the bubble with the rut. A couple of the better bucks were right up the butts of does. I think the next couple of weeks will be better than tomorrow, but should still be good.

Hunting with one of the boys. I think he's pretty pumped................Good luck to all.

Lunch at Henshaw at about 11:30 for you guys that are up in that area...............Validation available as well................... :2:

On one hand that is good to hear, but on the other hand, that just pisses me off! As it does every year. Having general rifle hunt with 3000 tags coincide with the rut makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I'm not at all anti rifle hunting, I still love to hunt with one myself, but we just don't have the deer numbers to allow general hunting during the rut. Look at all the other states that actually have good populations of deer... The rut hunts are very limited, with hard to draw rifle tags or bow tags. That just makes sense to me. Mule deer get dumb with poon on their minds. To allow every swinging Richard to pot them from 300 yards is hardly fair and doesn't do our herds any favors. I hate the d16 season dates! Jmho.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Nate,

I'm not trying to justify the season because I agree with you to some degree. But per the biologist I was with last night. The deer of San Diego Co. have a breeding season of up to 3 months. With the season a month long, I think a lot of bucks make it through the season. I had spotted fawns in my trail cam as of a 2 weeks ago. Meaning she was bred really late. The deer I shot last year on Dec. 31st. was still nosing does.

Attachments

• deer & turkeys 10-11-12 001.JPG
    deer & turkeys 10-11-12 001.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 29

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Nate, If that was true their would be more bucks killed. In the archery area I only see the bucks on the opening week and during the rut.

Steve, no cabin this year?

This is the first year in a long time I'm hunting D16 with a rifle, I have a newbie to SD that's going to the same spots I did when I first started, so I'm trying to talk him into a backpack hunt just hope the waters there!!

Good luck to all!!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Come on guys..we all know rifle hunting is for pussys..and only real men hunt with bows...geezeeee..

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Nate, If that was true their would be more bucks killed. In the archery area I only see the bucks on the opening week and during the rut.

This is the first year in a long time I'm hunting D16 with a rifle, I have a newbie to SD that's going to the same spots I did when I first started, so I'm trying to talk him into a backpack hunt just hope the waters there!!

Good luck to all!!

I still think it's true, more bucks aren't killed because most folks dont really put in the effort. Everyone I know who really rifle hunts hard kills 2 bucks (which I don't think is a good idea either). Look, all I'm saying is that I think we would have better herds if we gave the deer a bit of a break during the peak of the rut. It's common sense. Steve, I agree with you that they rut for an extended period from mid oct thru Dec, but the peak of that is probably sometime around mid Nov., right when rifle season takes place with 3000 freaking tags! I just think we would do some good by following the model of some other states and having a general rifle season that is outside of peak rut. If we had a general season that was the last two weeks of Dec, instead of 4 weeks through prime rut, I think we'd have a better overall herd. Then if guys really wanted to gun hunt the peak rut, make it a seperate special hunt with very limited tags. Hammering the deer with 3000 rifle tags during prime time just makes little sense to me.

I'm not at all against gun hunting in the slightest. I love my guns. I just think we'd all benefit over the long term with a little more thought put into the seasons and a little respite for the bucks. But of course that means less tags sold and that means less money and we all know the DFG homie don't play that!

Vermonster

Reaction score
Well, good luck to everyone. Got my spot picked for tomorrow, where I had a buck at 20 yards last year, and only a doe tag. Plan on seeing nothing but does this year, with only a buck tag..... :smiley-yakkin-pink:

ilovesprig

Reaction score

Good luck to all!!

Mark,

None of the boys wanted to spent the night tonight. I can't hunt on Sunday (baseball/softball reunion/parents birthdays). I sure would rather be up there than typing on this stupid computer............ :smiley-yawn-hellow:

The Matagi

Reaction score
I'll see you up there Steve! I will be out with my 5 year old on his first deer opener (not doing the shooting though). I didn't get the best spot on MCC but we'll see what happens.

Good luck to all!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Gen,

Good luck to you too......I'm not shooting tomorrow morning, but really excited about Tanner getting a chance at a buck....... :cross-fingers:

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
One bobcat down......no deer yet!

ofdscooby

Reaction score
I clocked a 55mph wind this morning on a peak 30 mph down low saw a total of 5 does no bucks it was so hot and dry with low humidities my eyes feel like they are bleeding right now this must be what it feels like to be a stoner

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Missed a small buck this evening........wind not so bad this afternoon few hunters just one other group about 7 miles in at the top. Seeing more deer in the flats just hard to close the distance with them watching.

Boat load of hunters this am one was even scoping the hillside boy did I want to give him a fn safety lesson! Then later one was sighting in his rifle at 10am........now I remember why I hate opening day.....yahoos!

So now time for some brown then watch the full moon till I'm buzzed enough to fall asleep back at it in the am.

Good luck to all!!