D15

Wister Junkie

Reaction score
If I read the regs correctly, a D15 tag is good for both archery and rifle season? Can someone confirm? Want to get out locally if can.

Wister Junkie

Reaction score
bearclaw said:
You can hunt the archery season (with archery gear) and the general season with any legal weapon for D15.
Cool. Thanks. And yeah I meant use a bow during archery season. Not that it will do me any good. I'm worthless with a bow...PaulC can testify to that! The only thing I have shot at with a bow is the sky while trying to bring my bow back to undrawn....twice! LOL

TheGDog

Reaction score
It's a separate tag to pursue a buck in those earlier hotter months with AO archery only tag. During a General Season tag though you can use any legal means of take you like. D15 during AO season is real damn hot though (hottest I was out there was 116 F). You have to either bring in a ton of water, or bring it some water ahead of time and leave it out there.

calisnowhunter

Reaction score
I thought all a,b,c,d general tags are also good for archery season as long as you use archery gear correct?

El Maton

Reaction score
No deer in D15 don't waste your time, stay home.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Yes you can hunt that zone with a archery only tag but you can also hunt the zone during archery with the d15 tag and during rifle all on the same tag there is no special d15 archery tag

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Reaction score
AO means you can ONLY use archery gear, even during general season. A D zone tag means you can use archery during that season and any weapon during the general season. The advantage of an AO tag is the amount of zones you can hunt. I've hunted A, B and D in the same season.

bmax

Reaction score
i believe you can also hunt that unit with a D11 or D13 tag

TheGDog

Reaction score
Look... if you want to be hunting.. in D15... with a bow... and it's during the summer months... the AO period.. you had better have an AO tag on you. Once the calendar year clicks over into the General Season Dates range, you can carry what you want if you're then carrying the D15 specific tag. But DO NOT think that if you buy a D15 General Season tag that you will be allowed to hunt within D15 in the earlier date-range available to those carrying AO tags only. The Rangers would teach you an expensive lesson.

Also... if you're going to be staying in there overnight.... in any part of the area which falls into the San Mateo Wilderness area.... you have to first submit a form to get an overnight camping permit. On that form you will state roughly where you'll be hunting around... and list the dates-range you plan on being in there hunting. Vehicle License number on your car, etc. It's to help them know and keep track of visitors so they know if they see a truck there for longer than the pre-determined number of days that maybe they need to investigate if there is a person who didn't make it back to their vehicle, maybe search for them. THERE ARE a number of Mountain Lions out there. And there is always a chance at a person having an accident and getting hurt while way back up in there. And the injury hampering their ability to get back outta their on their own. So personally, since I go in solo. I rather like the extra layer of security of them knowing about when I'm supposed to be leaving there. And I also call them back directly to let them know for sure that I'm done doing the overnighters when I've been successful.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
TheGDog said:
Look... if you want to be hunting.. in D15... with a bow... and it's during the summer months... the AO period.. you had better have an AO tag on you.
Dude. You are giving false information.

A D15 tag allows someone to hunt D11,13,and 15. This includes the archery season and the general season.

An AO tag allows you to hunt with "Archery Only" in any A,B, and D zone. They might have to be unrestricted though, not sure on that.

In order to hunt D15 archery season you may have on your person a D11, D13, D15, or AO tag and be legal. It has been this way for years.

bmax

Reaction score
what if you were dove hunting in D11/13/15? i think that is in early september and technically during the "archery" season... mountain lions are not a natural predator of dove so you're good. just be sure to have non-lead certified arrows in your quiver so the DFW kook won't get you, because they're the natural predator of the CA sportsman.

TheGDog

Reaction score
I did, and provided reference to their dates tables in two posts.

Upon reviewing the info again... there is some ambiguity to it.

I just might have to mess around and call them up directly. Welp... thank you gentleman, at least I'll know for sure.