D11/ San Gabriel Mountains deer hunting

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
I'm hoping everyone can help me solve a mystery. Did the new national monument name tag shut down deer hunting in the San Gabriels?? Was that a very popular hunting area in the past? The reason for all the questions: The draw success for D-12 changed DRASTICALLY this year. I'm trying to figure out why there would be such an increase of applicants. The tag quota stayed the same. There has never been a huge demand for a tag in our corner of heaven. Most of the people I have talked to did not get drawn. For instance, 2 of 5 got drawn in my family hunt party. The same stats +/- talking with quite a few other people. Not sure if there has been any changes in D17 or D16. Let's hear it....

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
As of right now the monument still allows hunting, so that should not be your problem.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
OK, there goes that theory. That was the theory of our F&W biologist, he wasn't sure of the facts and was going to do more research on Monday.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
I would bet more than a few folks just assumed most of d11 was going to be closed due to the monument as I have been getting quite a few calls about it here.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Well congrats to them. I can't wait to hear their stories. They have chosen the single hardest place to be successful hunting mule deer to learn how.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Maybe D12 has been plastered all over fat boys site for the past year.

I doubt the D11 guys would go straight to D12. They have D13 and D15 all on the same tag.

I think it is just the odds of the game. I thought for sure my wife would pull a premium tag with her points.... nope. Must have gone up with this draw.

1984cj7

Reaction score
My buddy didn't draw D12 he still cant believe it. I told him to go buy a bow and AO tag :).. it's horrible ... google is a powerful thing.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
It wasn't me......I was thinking about it so I could also hunt quail but decided against it Baja upland is calling me again

I bet it was the treehuggers!

glass eye

Reaction score
If you read the CA big game manual where it list success % it ranks lowest on the list. However, in the list of antler class % it ranks highest and always has. That could be the reason, and its proximity to SoCal population.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. Those numbers do show that. You and I both know the bitter reality of that success rate also. I guess the publicity of the ever elusive giant desert mule deer bucks that were taken last year all throughout the sonoran desert sparked a new interest. Well its public land in a free country. I will patiently wait to see how many mounts from D12 have to be sent in the mail to far away places.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Did get confirmation today that were not any shenanigans going on in Sacramento. The tag quota is the same. They did say that the overall participation in the draw was way up. I hope it was 10,000 12 year olds getting their first deer tag to carry on our sport.
MJB, I really hope you aren't dead on. The ANTI'S pretty much have unlimited money. So if they can't take away our right to hunt, it isn't absurd to consider that they would spend a few hundred grand to try and impede our opportunities. Hang in there friends! The good guys always win!

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
I'm thinking I might open a guide service...... With all the FNGs heck I can make a fortune..... Hatch what's th going rate to drive around and baby sit all day?

.......... Wonder Hmong finally got tired of shooting all Hatchs deer?

SoCalWaterfowler909

Reaction score
I think Hatch bought some acreage in d12... And gonna start guiding there... Those 47 acres must be running thin!!!! Lloyd gonna be running wild in the desert now!!!

crab

Reaction score
myself and two others in out D12 party app did not get drawn this year
oh well, we had 5 straight years of fun...
wait till next year