coldest November-December U.S. temperature on record

the supernuge

Lord of the 'fly's'
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) — The suspicions of millions of shivering Americans were confirmed Friday by government weather experts — it was the nation's coldest November-December period. ''Two months in a row of much below average temperatures resulted in the coldest November-December U.S. temperature on record, 33.8 degrees Fahrenheit,'' said Jay Lawrimore, chief of the Climate Monitoring Branch at the National Climatic Data Center. This broke the old record of 34.2 set in 1898.

Will Al Gore give the Oscar and the Peace prize back? I doubt it. If the media does it's job very few will know and those who do will be told their wrong.

If I were Jay Lawrimore I would watch my back!

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
Thanks 'Nuge. Even though that data was from Jan, 2001, it has still been cold this winter. How about the snow in San Diego and Riverside counties on Valentine's day? If warming really happened, it wasn't in my neighborhood. I could have told them it was still cold by looking at the thermometer on the patio. Think the NY Times will pick up this type story? Naahhhh.

sdhunter

Reaction score
So two cold months proves that Global Warming isn't happening? I don't buy it, I look at the shrinking polar caps, proof enough for me....
I'm not going on record as saying what is, or what isn't causing it, but the melting polar caps IS happening.

the supernuge

Lord of the 'fly's'
Reaction score
The coldest weather in recorded history is not "two cold months." I think there needs to be some distinction made there. As for the ice caps I have not been to The Poles so I can't really say what the deal is there. :smiley_prayin_ani:

sdhunter

Reaction score
The coldest weather in recorded history is not "two cold months." I think there needs to be some distinction made there. As for the ice caps I have not been to The Poles so I can't really say what the deal is there. :thumbs-up-ani:

Based on your comments, are you saying and implying that Global Warming isn't happening based on your above data? I've never been to the poles either :D :smiley_prayin_ani: , but as you do, I get information from the internet and/or news media!

Beastslayer

Reaction score
Agree with sdhunter. It's happening!

And how many times do we have to repeat. Coldest winter does not dispute Global Warming. It supports it. This phenomena actually induces wild swing in weather patterns. How can anyone have such a short memory? We just have had an unseasonably hot and long summer just last year. Or how can you ignore the news reports of more than above average number of tornados coming earlier, which was historical unheard of, during winter.

cduck

Reaction score
I look at the shrinking polar caps

Mike, I have seen the footage that we all seem to see on every news channel with the mom and baby polar bears floating away on the melting ice cap. I wish I could find the story now, but that was debunked as myth. That pic was taken during the summer in a very Southern part of the polar bear's habitat.

I believe very little of what I see or hear coming from the drive-by media.

I think we all agree that there has been some warming, however the cause is what's up for debate. But according to Al and his cronies, the debate is closed...and that's what always scares me. the debate should never be closed, especially when it involves something with so many variables....many of which we cannot control or quantify.

sdhunter

Reaction score
cduck,
I hear ya! I never stated or sided with the "cause". All I do know is, I do believe it's happening, global warming that is...

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
I'm going to admit that my first comment in this thread was pretty much shallow and off the cuff. Now... I believe that "global warming" is a media event that is based upon very limited scientific observations, and presents a marketing opportunity for whomever wants to exploit it. Warmings and Ice Ages have been a cyclical oscillation from the beginning (whenever that was). Media famously picks a fly spec in time and translates it into science (weather) gospel and promises dire consequences. It's sensational and gets attention from those lacking critical ability. Sure, some scientists believe that there is current warming. Some don't. So what. What's going to happen next? Remember in the 90's when the great El Nino event was big news? Sure it rained some, and Home Depot and Lowe's made a ton of money selling stuff in advance for those who drank the Kool-aide and bought sand bags and etc. :smiley_prayin_ani:

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
Reaction score
I believe scientists have proven normal climatic changes can swing either way. With these normal, in cases severe, climatic changes I find it impossible to blame mankind for "global warming" and I'm not buying into that conspiracy theory.

Is the earth climate shifiting again? It would appear so. Can it shift back to what the doomsayers feel is normal? My bet is yes. The question is who are the doomsayers going to blame when the next ice age occurs?

I had a hard time biting my tongue when I was in Canada last year. Everyone I spoke to is hard core into "global warming"....

HuggerMugger

Reaction score
I believe scientists have proven normal climatic changes can swing either way. With these normal, in cases severe, climatic changes I find it impossible to blame mankind for "global warming" and I'm not buying into that conspiracy theory.

Is the earth climate shifiting again? It would appear so. Can it shift back to what the doomsayers feel is normal? My bet is yes. The question is who are the doomsayers going to blame when the next ice age occurs?

I had a hard time biting my tongue when I was in Canada last year. Everyone I spoke to is hard core into "global warming"....

As a Canadian, Im all for global warming.......what ever it takes for us to have better/warmer winters/summers up here in Alberta! Our winters are too
long!!! Why bite your tounge JDC???

cduck

Reaction score
Just an aside....

Ever listen to that spot on the radio put out by our electric provider...Edison??? They start out the spot by stating "Global warming is a Choice"....gawd...I just want to puke everytime I hear that!!!

Okay...rant over.

sdhunter

Reaction score
Remember in the 90's when the great El Nino event was big news? Sure it rained some, and Home Depot and Lowe's made a ton of money selling stuff in advance for those who drank the Kool-aide and bought sand bags and etc. :smiley_prayin_ani:

Comparing El Nino and Global Warming in the grand scale of things isn't a fair comparison. El Nino is cyclical over a few years, where as Global Warming is cyclical over centuries. I do worry about Global Warming, as I have a young son, and I am concerned about his future and his children's future.
Whilst I am not convinced that all the contributors to Global Warming are human generated, but.....what if there really is merit to some of it?
I dunno...

But, I do stand by the comment that I believe it's happening!

Huntducks

Reaction score
[
But, I do stand by the comment that I believe it's happening!
[/quote]

Sorry but I say :smiley_prayin_ani: it's nothing more then a weather pattern were in, every time I hear it broke some record the record was from 1895 or what ever100 years back gee must have been global warming then too, I just read a story about some glacier melting and they found 5 bodys burried that it un-covered from 1890 without being a genius I figured that at some time they where walking on the top layer of the glacier and now it just happened to receed to what it was 115 years ago guess that was global warming then to.

COME ON THINK ON YOUR OWN.

sdhunter

Reaction score
[/quote]

Sorry but I say :smiley_prayin_ani: it's nothing more then a weather pattern were in, every time I hear it broke some record the record was from 1895 or what ever100 years back gee must have been global warming then too, I just read a story about some glacier melting and they found 5 bodys burried that it un-covered from 1890 without being a genius I figured that at some time they where walking on the top layer of the glacier and now it just happened to receed to what it was 115 years ago guess that was global warming then to.

COME ON THINK ON YOUR OWN.
[/quote]

Edited after some after thought: We can agree to disagree. I believe it's happening, BS to you, legit to me.......and that is thinking on my own!

Beastslayer

Reaction score
My simple mind says Ill believe the scientists whose paper were reviewed by their peers in the scientific community than the contrarian who was paid by Exxon $10,000 to put out his opinion.

But even if the Global Warming is not going to happen, I believe that the search for less polluting non-carbon based renewable is a better use of the countrys resources:

1. To keep us from indirectly funding the Middle Eastern terrorists when our petro dollars find its way as a contribution by the Saudis to these organizations. (I will free of guilt of feeling like Im buying bullets and IEDs for the terrorist every time I fill up my tank. )

2. Renewable will have us gain global technological leadership in the development of alternative fuel -- the next technological breakthrough.

3. Bio-diesel and bio-fuel will help our farmers have better prices for their commodities instead of relying on tax subsidies for keeping their lands idle.

4. Less carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and carbon particulates will reverse the cancer clustering in the Interstate 101 and 405 corridors.

5. Anna and John will have less suffering from their asthma attacks when there are lower pollutants in the atmosphere.

Maverick

Reaction score

:smiley_prayin_ani:

Jack I agree, whos to say that the same thing didn't happen 1500bc ? It total BS

sdhunter

Reaction score
Jack I agree, whos to say that the same thing didn't happen 1500bc ? It total BS

Just for thought....it could have very well happened previously. But, we can not bank on - and accurately predict any effect in the future with any certainty. There are simply too many tangibles involved. And, with every cyclical major climate event in the Earth's past, there was a major impact to life as it was known on the planet during that event.

Total BS, I don't think so... Again, JMO.

I will not refuse to listen to all the facts and hypothesis, even if it comes from Gore and his gang.

cduck

Reaction score
Just an observation...our historic and prehistoric ancestors endured countless variations in climate over a very very long period of time. And they always adapted to their surroundings...they didn't expect their surroundings to adapt to them. I think in the last 75 years we've become accustomed to a certain level of comfort and continuity in our lives.

Yet now it appears that people refuse to adapt to their surroundings, and they arrogantly believe that we can actually stop Global Warming! It is absolute hubris to think that anyone can turn back, or even stem, the changes that are happening right now.

It wasn't that long ago when we endured the Little Ice Age back in the 17th and 18th Centuries (just look at the iceburgs floating in the Delaware River in that famous painting of George Washington!!!).....and we had a cooling trend in the 70's when the same people that are touting Global Warming today were predicting a cooling distaster yesterday!!! The Earth and the sun will do what they've always done....and profiteers will always be around to take advantage of ill-informed people. Neither will never stop.

I can't believe that I am going to actually agree with Beastslayer....but despite all the hype for Global Warming, it is still our responsibility to be good stewards of the Earth. We owe it to our kids.

I am confident that the climate pendulum will once again swing the other way....and maybe it has. Like SD said....we really can't predict future events with any real certainty.

Attachments

• washington_delaware_l.jpg
    washington_delaware_l.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6