Chukar opener

MapMan

Reaction score
As you all know it was a hot opener with a fairly low success rate. I managed to put 1 Chukar in the bag and missed on a pair of off balanced, long shots on a steep rocky hillside. It took about 1 1/2 hours to find the first covey, then spent another 2 hours caught up in the "Chukar fever" chasing the calls of birds laughing at me from above and across canyons. Typical Chukar hunting for those that have been there.....

I had finally given up shooting a bird and was accepting the fact that this was a day to pay my dues to the Chukar gods. Contemplating what I hoped was the shortest route back to the truck, the dog and I started down the mountain. About 20 minutes later Gunner locks up on point. I move into position and a lone Chukar flushes and I drop him. 5 minutes later Gunner gets birdy again and heads toward a mound of rocks 20 yards ahead of us. He locks on point, nose slightly up, smelling the breeze. I decide to move around the rocks on the uphill side. Gunner is still holding point and just as I make my move 6-8 birds flush below, using the rocks as cover. (smart birds) I scramble a few steps to get a view of them flying downhill. I take 2 long "Hail Mary" shots and they dissapear fast around the ridge line below. One last drink of water and its time to head for the truck....

Out of water, hot and tired, we start walking....and walking. I make it up a ridge hoping to see the truck below, but it is over another ridge and across the desert floor about 3/4 miles as the crow flies. 45 minutes later we arrive at the truck, both of us exhausted and needing water. This was the first time I put myself in a situation where heat and lack of water was starting to have an affect on us both. I had gone too far after those Muther Chukars and let my better judgement slip. I'll try to never make that mistake again...

I happened to run into some of Harold Horner's guides from the High Desert Guide service twice that morning. Both times I was told I was hunting on private property, and basically was expected to leave the area. Since I had come into this particular area that morning while it was still dark, I did not realize exactly where I was until later on. I was not on private property. Harold has a history of posting public lands and/or intimidating hunters in the field with false information..........I am calling Fish and Game today to lodge a complaint.

On the way out we saw an awesome sight. A full curl Bighorn Ram in a dead run comes across the desert floor, take 2 leaps to clear the dirt road in front of us, and disappears up a very steep rocky hillside. He was built like a machine and the display of power as he scaled that mountain was incredible. No time to take a picture unfortunately.........

Here's a before and after pic of my hard earned bird...

View attachment 27856

View attachment 27857

Attachments

• Chukar_2009_1.JPG
    Chukar_2009_1.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Chukar_2009_2.JPG
    Chukar_2009_2.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 40

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
Great story. Lots of work for one chukar but I'm sue you and your dog had fun. Be vcreful with the water.

We opted for quail, saw 3 good coveys, but only got one shot (too far out). I believe quail have learned to cliff dive to escape, as the birds we flushed had nearby escape routes down steep hills.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Glad you checked in Dave. I was wondering where you were. Sounds like a good opener even with just one chuk in the bag. The ram was a nice bonus. I have seen them only once at a distance and they are awesome.

As for Harold, sounds like every year someone tells a similar story. I hope the DFG takes your complaint seriously comes to an understanding with the guy about the differnence between public and private land.

sdhunter

Reaction score
Without knowing the details of who and where, I will say this about the High Desert Guide Service... They have secured a lot of private property. While some BLM land is land-locked by Private Property, there may be merit to claims of trespass.

Arise

Reaction score
I was just thinking about you last night Dave, wondering what you had in store for the weekend. Looks like the opener was slim-pickins for many folks on Sat.

Congrats on the one!

On the way out we saw an awesome sight. A full curl Bighorn Ram in a dead run comes across the desert floor, take 2 leaps to clear the dirt road in front of us, and disappears up a very steep rocky hillside. He was built like a machine and the display of power as he scaled that mountain was incredible. No time to take a picture unfortunately.........

I bet that sight was worth the outing x 10.

MapMan

Reaction score
sdhunter,

You are right about Harold securing private land to hunt. No question about it. I take no offense at your statement and some of the tresspass claims have probably been valid. Years back, (about 6 if I recall correctly) Harold posted No Trespass signs aroung the Goat Spring area. There was an active cattle lease at the time, but the land was public BLM and not private. He just wanted to keep people out for his own benefit. Goat Spring is a well known area and heavily hunted....

I know the private land ownership well at the area I was hunting on Saturday. It is clearly shown on the BLM maps. I was close to private land, but definately not on it. Early in the day I was not really sure where I was because I had traveled to hunt with a friend. We came in from a direction I was not familiar with and it was still dark outside. I was a bit disoriented untill I hiked up high enough to get a perspective......then it hit me. I had not hunted this area in 5-6 years but it did look eerily familiar at first. But since I was not sure of my location, I conceeded and left the area upon being told it was private.

I contacted Rick Fisher at DFG and he will pursue the matter. He has received numerous similar complaints over the years. ..........

Scott (DK),
How was your opener? Any luck.....Do you know how Haney (Gonebirding) did?

Jason (Arise),
Your right about seeing the Ram.....it made the day that much better. A sight I'll always remember and probably never witness again.

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my col
Reaction score
Dave,
I bet that single bird tasted like a million bucks though...Nice job and glad to see that you and Gunner are still hittin' the hills.

sdhunter

Reaction score
QUOTE (MapMan @ Oct 19 2009, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=227620
sdhunter,

You are right about Harold securing private land to hunt. No question about it. I take no offense at your statement and some of the tresspass claims have probably been valid. Years back, (about 6 if I recall correctly) Harold posted No Trespass signs aroung the Goat Spring area. There was an active cattle lease at the time, but the land was public BLM and not private. He just wanted to keep people out for his own benefit. Goat Spring is a well known area and heavily hunted....

I know the private land ownership well at the area I was hunting on Saturday. It is clearly shown on the BLM maps. I was close to private land, but definately not on it. Early in the day I was not really sure where I was because I had traveled to hunt with a friend. We came in from a direction I was not familiar with and it was still dark outside. I was a bit disoriented untill I hiked up high enough to get a perspective......then it hit me. I had not hunted this area in 5-6 years but it did look eerily familiar at first. But since I was not sure of my location, I conceeded and left the area upon being told it was private.

I contacted Rick Fisher at DFG and he will pursue the matter. He has received numerous similar complaints over the years. ..........

Mapman,
In terms of Goat Spring, did you or somebody actually see Harold falsely post that area? Just curious...

MapMan

Reaction score
I read the signs.....Did I actually see Harold pound them into the ground? No........

I think they had either his name or his guide service shown on the sign, but I can't remember 100% for sure. It was a long time ago...

Question?
Do you know Harold personally or have some other reason to prove the numerous allegations differently...just curious?

FYI,
I have learned a little background about Harold that would support his need to bend the rues to suite his needs....I'll just leave it at that.

I wish him continued success in his guide business. I just want him to play by the rules and be an ethical representative of the hunting community.

sdhunter

Reaction score
QUOTE (MapMan @ Oct 19 2009, 02:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=227642
I read the signs.....Did I actually see Harold pound them into the ground? No........

I think they had either his name or his guide service shown on the sign, but I can't remember 100% for sure. It was a long time ago...

Question?
Do you know Harold personally or have some other reason to prove the numerous allegations differently...just curious?

FYI,
I have learned a little background about Harold that would support his need to bend the rues to suite his needs....I'll just leave it at that.

I wish him continued success in his guide business. I just want him to play by the rules and be an ethical representative of the hunting community.

Mapman,
I have no issue with you, and I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong, but accusations need substantiating in my opinion.
Yes, I do know Harold. Although I have never hunted Chukar with him (I have never hunted Chukar for that matter). One day, I might give it a go.
I do find it unfair to anybody that has accusations thrown their way without being able to respond on a public (or private ;) ) forum.

Mike

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
QUOTE (sdhunter @ Oct 19 2009, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=227615
Without knowing the details of who and where, I will say this about the High Desert Guide Service... They have secured a lot of private property. While some BLM land is land-locked by Private Property, there may be merit to claims of trespass.

I have been told by that guide sevice that I was hunting prorerty that was private and that they were the only ones allowed to hunt it. I told them if that's the case why don't they post it and avoid future problems. I did not leave and they did not return. Upon futher research I found they did not have a lease to guide the property. I contacted BLM and they told me to contact the county recorder and find out who owned the property, which I did. Bottom line HDGS was BSing me.

MapMan

Reaction score
QUOTE (quailhunter @ Oct 19 2009, 03:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=227654
Good job MapMan :2:!!! How did Gunner's pads hold up on these rocks?

Quailhunter,
Gunner did well, no cuts and no visible sign of irritation. He did step on a couple pieces of dead cactus laying on the ground a couple times. The next day he walked a little more deliberate and softly, but nothing major. He sure is a lot more mellow the day after a long hunt!

I think I read that dogs feet with black nails and black pads hold up better than dogs feet with light colored nails and paws? Can anyone confirm this? Gunners nails and paws are all black........

MapMan

Reaction score
QUOTE (sdhunter @ Oct 19 2009, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=227646
Mapman,
I have no issue with you, and I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong, but accusations need substantiating in my opinion.
Yes, I do know Harold. Although I have never hunted Chukar with him (I have never hunted Chukar for that matter). One day, I might give it a go.
I do find it unfair to anybody that has accusations thrown their way without being able to respond on a public (or private ;) ) forum.

Mike

Mike,
You make a good point. Why not invite him to join the forum and respond to the alleged accusations? I'd like to hear what he has to say.....right or wrong.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Dave,

I got a few out of an old honey hell hole. Hard hunting for a few quail. Apolo did his job and found 3 coveys (maybe 2 and 1 twice), but they were wiley and my shooting was poor.

Strictly ducks

Reaction score
Mapman....I was in the same general area as you im assuming. I was also told i was on private property. I told the guide that i know im on public property and i told him i would call dfg and have them come out there right now. No cell service. So i continued hunting and finished off our hunt. We were there for no more than 2 hours and within the first 30 minutes he approached us. We busted 2 coveys and i heard no other shots. Anyways i will also be filing a complaint with their service.

vamos a cazar

Reaction score
As for Mr. Horner, stand by. His and his daddy's behavior are beginning to overcome my reluctance to get involved.

I hunted down the road from where Dave was. Never saw so many trucks and SUV's in one place. When we drove up I had a fleeting vision of a McDonald's parking lot. We hunted for a while and saw nothing, heard no shooting.
Fled that area and headed for another spot not far away. Ran into a couple Game Wardens I know and we stopped to talk a while. They hadn't seen many birds taken yet. We discussed a few other things, people being intimidated by "guides" to leave the area they were hunting, and other topics.

At the new spot again there were vehicles parked near the guzzler. Never understood that. I'm thinking DFG ought to install parking meters next to guzzlers and at least make some money off the practice.
We went to the other side of the rock pile and started hunting. My dog and I separated from my two partners. We did a fair piece of hunting in that sun. Never saw a covey rise or more than two birds in any one place. My dog went on a very nice point and the bird flushed just a few yards in front of me. But it dipped below a ledge and into open space before I snapped off a quick shot and missed. The second shot was just plain anger and frustration. A second bird flushed wild a little later and I had no chance to even shoot. Finally scored on a little crossing shot on another wild flush. Immature bird. About 4 hours worth of walking and climbing. My legs held up well. Dog was dead tired and hot. I used up the rest of my water on him before we started down the mountain, letting him drink his fill and drenching his body with the rest of the water. We both took a little rest in the shade of a house-sized boulder. We didn't start down until he had stopped panting.
Back at the trucks one of my partners had taken a holdover; nice big bird. Of course the obligatory chukar was clucking away up in the rocks right above us as I ate my lunch and my dog found his water bowl and then the shade of our truck. He had no more interests in birds that day and I felt the same. All things considered, a nice day.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
Map good job you did not get skunked :2: as far as the saying you were hunting the wrong side of the fence........ well consider the source it's all about the money :thumbs-down-little: and they will talk the smack and hope you will listen I personally think it''s a bunch of BS I could see if you were stepping across the line But when some one knows you arn't and still fills you full of that BS so they can make there buck. well thats old fashion BS

Tell him to join up and post up his side. Map is a straight shooter if it comes up in the wash he was wrong he would post that ......will the other do the same :smiley-cool-shades-down:
It's just my opinion and my :two-cents: I've heard this stuff before about the same outfit. is it true..... dunno, but I can tell you aint nothing burns my ar$$ more is someone who takes away some ones right to hunt on public land when they don't have it