California Hunting / Fishing License statistics....Intersesting !

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Hogskin said:
Be nice, wouldn't it? But the non-lead rule applies to everywhere in CA, even private land.
They would only know if you allowed them on your land. And why would you? Civil disobedience at its finest. :smiley-wnk-yellow:
Oh, Hoggy ... Bless your heart. Fish Cops can enter private lands at will and range to within a small restricted zone (100 yards?) around an occupied dwelling. The legal fig leaf is that California wildlife is publicly owned and is not held by owners of private land where wildlife is present. I think that is true in all or most states.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
I look at the lead ban as more of a guide line more than a hard fast law.:)

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
DKScott said:
Be nice, wouldn't it? But the non-lead rule applies to everywhere in CA, even private land.
They would only know if you allowed them on your land. And why would you? Civil disobedience at its finest. :smiley-wnk-yellow:
Oh, Hoggy ... Bless your heart. Fish Cops can enter private lands at will and range to within a small restricted zone (100 yards?) around an occupied dwelling. The legal fig leaf is that California wildlife is publicly owned and is not held by owners of private land where wildlife is present. I think that is true in all or most states.

lol, there's more than one way to keep them off your land. :D

In Oregon a fish cop wanted to come onto a friend's ranch and he told him to go piss up a rope. That was with deer hanging and visible from the highway. That was 1996 so maybe it has changed there.

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
They cant bust me if a buck dies on my property ( here in Trinity County ) from " acute lead poisoning " Now can they ??? Just sayin' .....Nawww I'd not allow that . Never.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Bigolwiggler said:
I added up all of the fees that I pay for hunting and fishing .

Deer (2 tags) bear , upland game , duck , fishing + steelhead and salmon
I came up with $238.75 per year as a resident .
This does not include all of the big game drawing fees that I pay for . Elk and Speed goat which are super rare to be drawn for . I feel fortunate that I have been drawn for elk twice in my life here .

In Idaho , the resident combo package which includes GUARANTEED tags for , Deer , Elk , Bear , Mtn Lion , Wolf ( rifle , archery or muzzleloader ) and full fishing license is $144.60

I know its apples and oranges .....
My friend who lives there has been pounding on me to move there as he did . I have to say , its tempting .

BOW
I've been wanting to move up that way for years but have had old folks with deep roots here in socal. Really loved the priest river area. Actually pretty much anywhere in the northern part of the state is whers im aiming. What part of the state and what does your friend do for money up there? It sucks to feel the need to leave the place I was born and raised, but the government overreach is unacceptable.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Some perspective ffrom a new hunter:

Sure seems like THEY ARE attempting to do everything that they can outside of just flat-out saying "NO, you can't." to hunters. I say this mostly from all that I have compared/contrasted with everything you see about hunting in other states, versus what I see here in SoCal.

Sure seems like the majority of most other places that aren't California... seems like dudes drive a pickup truck, or a Quad.... pretty damn near right on up to wherever it is that they have a blind of some kind setup. Whereas... for example here in D11... seems like every God Damned Gate you've ever seen is locked. And then ya go and look on the map and you're like Holy sh*t look at how big and long the road is past that gate!!! I mention this because it enfuriates me! I have to, when in D11, hike 'til my feet are cracked and sore and blistered... 'til every old injury I ever had are all in unison reminding me of their presence... all while having to carry in all the water I could possibly need... and there's a mother-truckin road... right God Dang there!

Also... for some of the roads that have these gates... apparently for some of them you *can* get an access code which is like good for something like a 2-week period of time.... but apparently in order to get this code given to you, yo apparenlty *have* to go to some office they have in Glendora... and fill out an application?? And I'm like... are you EFF'ing serious??? LIke actually on paper? And in-person?

Hell... the in-person part alone makes it HUGELY unreasonable and unrealistic to think and expect that even an Nth of the people who might want to... you know... enjoy the lands their own taxes are already paying for... would be able make a separate drive from wherever they happen to live..... first to Glendora... do whatever paper thing is needed.... which would certainly blow a whole day just from the driving part of it. Only to be given a 2-week window from that moment in time forward?? That would only give you the next weekend to do someting with it!

And another thing that's really bothering me... again... comparing/contrasting what I see from all the video from other states...

Why get your panties in a bunch if somebody wants to use some type of bait? Isn't the number of tags you've allowed yourself to sell... a number such that... if for some reason they all managed to be successful... you think THAT number of take is low enough that the health of their population numbers would still be left intact? If not... why would you risk in the first place allowing a Tag quota to be a number that large to begin with then?

Also all the regs regarding you have to be a certain distance from campground sites, or a certain distance from trash receptacles, and a certain distance from water features like guzzlers.... if you're that damn terrified that we'll "Decimate the population" or something, then dude, just sell less of the dang tag in question.

Also... they've got areas out there.... such at Mt Wilson.... where the place is smack dab in the middle of an area that is listed on their maps as Firearms hunting permissable.... but then... if you drive up Mt Wilson... "Firearms prohibited" signs along that whole damn road going up there! Now... I'm not an idiot... I totally get that they have all those multi-million-dollar radio and TV and Satellite towers up on that hill... and the good people employees that run them also have on-site housing. So I get that for the safety of the antennae and those folks they want to keep the firearms outta there around THAT area up near the top... but come the hell on!! That's one helluva huge mountain! And... since you've disallowed me from being able to drive on one of those neat access roads nearer to the bottom... it'd be darn helpful if I was to be allowed to disembark from my vehicle... hike down... past some *marked* location that then says "OK, you're far enough away from them, now you can shoot." And we'd both be good. And the other part about that which really pisses me off is like... who in the damn hell do you think you are that YOU can tell other people that care to stroll thru that area... whether hunters or hikers... where there ARE bears at BTW... that they CAN NOT have a firearm to protect themselves? You gonna payoff my house and put my kid thru college if I get mauled or killed down in there? No? Well if not then shut the hell up, and don't ever bring-up trying to infringe upon my 2A rights ever again. Simple as that. Oh... but but... it's ok if you have a CCW permit.... you know... that mythical thing you've heard about a handful of folks getting if they have a "good cause statement" that meets with "the kings" approval. And then I found out that in LA county.... only 197 people have them????? Only 197??? are you kidding me???

And ooh lawdy the looks and nervousness you'll get if common folk see you hiking around with a Modern Sporting Rifle in there.

OH!! also not to mention the fact that there are a lot of interesting looking places that look like they'd be a good possibility and worth exploring and taking a look thru.... only... "No Parking Any Time" signs just happen to be conveniently place all along some of these sections. Interesting how that sometimes happens now isn't it?

And back to the road closures... you know.. YOU KNOW... two of the reasons which likely contribute to it are they don't won't the liability of allowing them to be open... then have somebody driving thru them when they are in need of some rock-slide clearing.. probably fearing some kind of lawsuit being brought against them because of it. Also... I have to wonder how much of the motivation is just them deciding they don't want to have to fuss with and deal with the hassle of somebody getting hurt while down in there... and that making their car stay stuck down in there for some long indefinite amount of time. My guesses at possible lazy reasoning on their part anyway.

Also there are other places within D11 where private property owners take their liberties with nearby public lands adjacent to their properties. Seen some that have manually diverted part of the water to create a pond... section nearby their property, but technically on public land... where they've used heavy machinery and cleared away a stretch to make a target shooting range.

OH.... and then... my goodness... that place where there are folks commuting up out of Palmdale trying to be slick and cut thru D11 over to Hwy 2 and then over toward La Canada/Flintridge exit. Good grief they are using it like it's a major freaking hwy at butt-thirty in the morning!!

Anyhoo... you look at any and everything related to the regulations... and at each and every point... they will ALWAYS choose to fall on the side of making the regulation such that it is even tougher for a hunter to make it happen and be successful. You know... wouldn't want anybody killing any of these precious "carrots" on the end of this "stick".

And what in the hell is the dealio with not letting anybody in LA county shoot at a damn tree squirrel? Are you joking me? They are THICK in some places. I mean... I figure they are afraid of broke-n-po immigrants coming in and laying waste to vast quantities of them. And I can see the merit to that... but it's like... closing out the whole damn entire county? are you totally being serious with me right now?

Not to mention the whole... pay me $50 bucks just for the priviledge of being able to park here BS.

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
C1g My friend who moved to Idaho was a sacramento firefighter. Went out on disability. Jacked up back . Made his money in Calif then cashed out.

Myself.... I made some money in Calif then cashed out and moved to North Ca. without disability. My friends thought I was crazy but I am doing fine working 2 days a week . Im not rich $ but I am rich in the way that matters to me. Take a chance .......

BOW

labowned

Reaction score
I have two boys. Ive taken them fishing and hunting several times. Its hard to keep them interested when its always so slow. Especially the fishing which is beyond dismal in socal (im an ohioan originally) They like the canoe with the motor and they like setting up for ducks in the dark. But i always pack it in early if theres no action bc they start getting fidgity. ALSO i have a friend whose boy wanted to write a paper about his love of hunting...his teacher told him he couldnt. You better believe that led to phone call.

socalcowboy

Reaction score
labowned said:
I have two boys. Ive taken them fishing and hunting several times. Its hard to keep them interested when its always so slow. Especially the fishing which is beyond dismal in socal (im an ohioan originally) They like the canoe with the motor and they like setting up for ducks in the dark. But i always pack it in early if theres no action bc they start getting fidgity. ALSO i have a friend whose boy wanted to write a paper about his love of hunting...his teacher told him he couldnt. You better believe that led to phone call.
Amen - My boy has gotten so discourage with hunting and fishing in San Diego I have to force him to go with me... For the last 3 years my father has stayed at Santee Lakes in San Diego and has realized how hard it is to fish here.. and hunting is not that much easier... My son like Dove hunting cause we have managed to be successful but Turkey - Nah, quail - Nah, Rabbit - Nah....

Sucks having to guilt your kid into enjoying the outdoors... with me and his grandfather...

TheGDog

Reaction score
I desperately would like to begin taking my 10yo out with me, and sharing the experience with him....to show him my spot... then maybe setup to do some predator calling, so it'd be something more proactive.

But ugh... I cringe thinking about how he'll be whining the whole way in because it's long and uphill going into there. And for the deer, ugh... ya have to get into there before the sun is up. Sometimes you see rabbits sunning in the clearings as you approach, but not every time consistently. And you absolutely have to be able to go LONG periods of time without fidgeting in there if you want success. And you have to be covered up with the 3D leafy camo, not only for concealment, but also so the damn flying insects don't notice/recognize you and leave you alone.

So anyhoo... I'm figuring before taking him in there... I'm going to first have to take him someplace easier where there's more likelihood of being able to try for small game like rabbits or ground squirrels or something like that so he isn't faced the possibility of going a whole day and not seeing anything then hating it because now they all get instant gratification in everything all the time.