Boot treatment.

RTIN

Reaction score
What are you guys using to keep those favorite boots nice and soft like your hands.
I know you big game hunters take good care of the most important part of your gear which is your boots .
I'm just a lazy Duckhunter trying to save and preserve my favorite pair of marsh boots.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

sierrahunter1

Reaction score
I use sno-seal. Any beeswax treatment works.
But are you using leather marsh boots? I'm curious how you hunt marshes without waders.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Rob trick is to keep them oiled up regularly. My fire boots which I wear 5 plus days a week get oiled monthly. My hunting boots usually once before season once during season as once again when I put them away. Boots are a big investment and oil is cheap

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Skeet said:
Rob trick is to keep them oiled up regularly. My fire boots which I wear 5 plus days a week get oiled monthly. My hunting boots usually once before season once during season as once again when I put them away. Boots are a big investment and oil is cheap
I'm slacking. I guess I should start taking care of all of my boots.

pulverizer

Reaction score
Pro prep leather conditioner. Meant for baseball gloves. Works wells as a cleaner/conditioner for boots and adds a layer of extra water repellancy.

Maverick

Reaction score
Skeet said:
I have a pair of Whites that are 15 yrs old that I still wear from time to time. The Nicks I wear more frequently are 7years old. I oil them at least once a month.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Still wearing my nicks from when I was on the crew in 02 been rebuilt and resold a few times but still going

hank4elk

Reaction score
paulc said:
Nikwax or Kenetrek boot wax. Obenaufs dissolves glue, I found out the hard way.
Good thing I saw this Paul as I just got some Obenaufs & was going to treat my yr old Tibets this winter.
I clean & brush boots to keep clean.
Have been using Kenetrek wax on the Kenetrek pacs.,Danner boot dressing on the Danner work boots,Nikwax on the Meindels - suede&cordura(but I think the stuff sucks and is a pain that works for a little while),Snowseal on alot of other work boots including Whites in old days.
I heard about different shoe treatments doing damage before.Mink oil & snow seal soften,but opens up stitching to leaks if not used regularly.
Bunch of folks said to get the Obenaufs.Now that I think about it,these same folks talk about going thru a pair of boots in a season or two before they fail & just buy another expensive boot....lol

I'll look up what Lowa recommends now.

MapMan

Reaction score
I switched a couple years ago from the Cabella guide series boots to Danners. Danner recommends Obenaufs.

I brush and/or wash off the dirt after each outing, and treat them regularly..

No problem with the stitching or glue so far....

Only complaint is after walking dew covered alphalfa fields for hours, my feet get a little wet.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Definitely have to retreat with water-proofing spray after a few outings where you walked in/thru wet stuff and then had to come back home and give a good brushing to remove it all. To those that haven't gotten one yet.... DEFINITELY... get a Peet's Boot Dryer! I have a very sensitive nose and without the Peet's dryer it would never fully get rid of that trace of odor when you'd stuff your nose down the boot and check and take a whiff. With drying on the Peet's, no odor, it's all good!

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Reaction score
Obenaufs does dissolve glue and can cause foot cancer. Please send all used or new containers to my attention. I'll ensure they get disposed of properly.