black brant hunting

kidd2_05

Reaction score
:unsure: i have bout three years a ago, havent been back myself due to tight restrictions but my dad has. if theirs any specific question shoot me a pm.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Welcome snOwgOOseslayer....................... :unsure:

Friends that I had that use to freelance for Brant have quit. The bay is totally locked up with guides.

denis

Reaction score
i go fishing there all the time and have been waiting tio hunt. I was just told 1 guide actually has the guns to use. i ve had a problem wanting to bring my guns down there. When i fish there in the winter there's 1000's of them .Also was told the duck hunting is excelent. The price of the guide is only like $50 but a licence?? and bringing ammo down? Do i need alicence for the ammo? Dont want to trust the mex guide totally.lol

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
These days I think its just about mandatory to get your license, permits, etc. through an outfitter and use a guide. We used to go years ago, but its a totally different ballgame these days. I like San Quintin. Its a relaxing place to spend a few days fishing, hunting, eating etc. Given the crime rate today, using the guide's guns might be preferable to driving down with yours. I think Mexhunter or Riverduckhunter may have some more current information on getting set up to hunt Mexico.

denis

Reaction score
hope to hear from them thanks. if i can get them to supply the guns it looks like a great hunt.there thick. how was the duck hunting for you?I m sure the geese are no problem there everywheres.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
As I recall, it was mainly a brant hunt with maybe a few teal and widgeon, but it was like 25 years ago. The quail hunting was really good. If you are into quail, its worth including.

denis

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i just i guess have to trust the info from the guide about ammo and licence.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Not sure I would trust anyone down there without references and copies of licenses, although once you remove your guns and ammo from the equation, things probably get simpler

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
As I said, its an entirely new process now. Back when we went, a family friend kept a trailer down there and you registered your guns with the Federales upon entry into Mexico and it all seemed pretty simple and cheap. Craig may have worked something out with the guy who owned the land his trailer was on. The only guys I ever remember handing money to down there were kids who cleaned the birds, but I was never the one handling the business and that was a long time ago. I have only fished down there a few times since then.

Last I heard it now costs about $1,200 to get set up to hunt upland for the season, but its a long and liberal season. The now required guides are about $50/day - not sure if that's all in or per person. A couple guys I know still go down there and they use U.S. based outfitters for permits, access, etc. Not sure what the waterfowl situation is. As I recall, riverduckhunter is pretty up on all that stuff these days.