bishop

deerhunter1

Hey Bishop have you done any elk hunting with that Freedom Arms 454 of yours? I have been toying around of taking a elk hunt in the next few years and have a itching to bust me a elk with my Ruger SRH. So I think that hardcast bulletts are the way to go from what I have been reading. I have really been spending a chunk of cash lately to feed that 454 of mine. So I have been thinking of casting my own bullets. So have you ever cast any bullets or know anyone that does? If so any pointers on bullet grain or type.

Bishop

Hey Bishop have you done any elk hunting with that Freedom Arms 454 of yours? I have been toying around of taking a elk hunt in the next few years and have a itching to bust me a elk with my Ruger SRH. So I think that hardcast bulletts are the way to go from what I have been reading. I have really been spending a chunk of cash lately to feed that 454 of mine. So I have been thinking of casting my own bullets. So have you ever cast any bullets or know anyone that does? If so any pointers on bullet grain or type.

I hope to handgun hunt elk someday, but so far all I've shot with my .454 has been pigs. I've never used hardcast bullets for hunting. I have shot some, and they're very accurate. They're definetely the best when you want deep penetration on large animals like elk and the like. Cast Performance are really good bullets. I like the 300gr WFPGC (wide flat point gas check) http://www.castperformance.com/users/perfo...d4&Iit=64&Ict=1
I've never made any cast bullets. Maybe "Smokin54" can help you out with casting.
Some people do use soft points on large game. The video "Hundgunning Africa" is all about shooting large african animals with a .454. And all of them are with softpoints or partition Gold hollow points. They also talk about the loads, and show recovered bullets when they don't pass thru. You can get it here: http://pistolwhipvideo.com/
Glad to hear your enjoying your .454

deerhunter1

Bishop thanks for all the info on helping me get setup with my pistol. If you are ever in the southeast and waunt to get together for a hunt just give me a holler. There is usually something in season all year long.