Birdshooter conversion in process

2rocky

Reaction score
In an effort to foster hunting interest in my daughter, I've had to find a little more spur of the moment hunting opportunities. One of those back yard opp's is the doves that are around the yard. Bogey has gotten pretty good at marking the ones I pop 25 yards away with the air rifle. Now that ] have a retriever I'm thinking this could be fun.

So I bought a Mojo dove decoy. Where should I set up away from the houses? I'll still snipe 'em around there but i need a place to decoy them..

I could set up by our 1 acre farm pond, or the creek with willow trees and blackberries. Thoughts?

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Watch where they are coming from/going to and set up in their flight path. I use a shotgun and prefer to shoot incomers, but If you are going to use an air rifle I would set up where you can get a shot when they land - branches, wires whatever. Wear camo and get a seat in front of some bushes to be less visible. Mojos work pretty well and if you add a few static decoys in trees etc they work even better.

Eurasian doves like hanging around structures basically the same stuff pigeons like. Structures should be unoccupied of course. I think its 150' away? Regs are online. No limit, year round season. Be careful about ID'ing the birds so you don't pop a mourning or white wing out of season.

2rocky

Reaction score
Oh yeah I'll be setting up with a shotgun decoying in evenings probably.

SCREWLOOSE

Reaction score
DM Hatchet, he lives for dove hunting...

He’ll have you buying bacon at Costco in no time.