Better then expected (with bling)

goose gobbler

Reaction score
Hunted Mendota with my son and good friends. With reduced quota because of reduced water my expectations were low bird numbers but high hunter numbers. Turned out it was the opposite. Although most of our normal spots were dry we decided as a group to pick and area with water that we have never hunted, go exploring and be ok with the results regardless of how good or bad. Only had one other group of hunters enter the pond after us. They gave us plenty of room, let birds work and were a pleasure to hunt around. I think reduced water help concentrate the birds. We had a spot that bigger birds really wanted little to do with. We were lucky enough to have the little shell burning rockets buzz us all day at mach5. Those things cost me a fortune. My friends and I all did the walk of shame and ended up limiting on teal and spoonies. My son however in his 3rd season out did us all. He added 2 mallards to his bag of teal and spoonies. One of those Mallards was married! His 2nd band in 3 years and I am still bandless. To be honest I probably enjoyed seeing him shoot a banded bird instead of me. My pup in his 3rd season did good as well. Only problem was prior to shoot time he broke a few times chasing the ducks landing in our decoys. I almost couldn't blame him, they had me pumped up too. Great start to what I hope will be a great season. Bring on the weather!!!

Attachments

• oct 19th 2014 006.JPG
    oct 19th 2014 006.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 1
  • oct 19th 2014 036.JPG
    oct 19th 2014 036.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 1
  • oct 19th 2014 039.JPG
    oct 19th 2014 039.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 1

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Reaction score
Goose gobbler missed seeing you; did so your boy though at the raffle !!! Congrats to him on the jewelry; something he will cherish for the rest of his life !!!!
Had a great opener !! Ended Sat. with 3 greenheads, 1 Suzy, a hen pintail and 1 hen spoonie for you Trig, lol !!!
Had a 5 or 6 Mallards come in; shot one of the greenies and picked another target - oops silly Spoonie trying to be a Mallard !!!
Hunted this morning for 2 greenheads and a Bull Sprig. Would love to have stayed all day, but the opener kicked my butt, and it's a long drive home !!

Best part of the weekend was the Mendota staff pulling out the ol rubber numbered tags for the sweatline. Staff supposedly started checking vehicles Monday morning; a lot of unhappy locals, like the guy who started out in front of me in line Thurs. morning only to return to his truck early Sat morning to find a note from the staff stating vehicle was unoccupied as of the 16th and that upon returning to vehicle it would have to go to the end of the line. He was not a happy camper !! I have been waiting for the staff to go back to this and glad they did, makes it fair for everyone !!!
Water in the refuge was low as I have ever seen; approx. 65% flooded with only 280 hunters let in, a normal year is 600 hunters. Was very lucky to get in !!! Tons of teal and spoonies, did not see the big flocks of Pintail that is normally there. Should be a good year once the refuge is fully flooded; a lot of food in ponds that were being flooded .
Now it's time to occupy my place in the blind at Wister !!!!!!!

yellardog2

Reaction score
Landon as always it was a blast and I have to say the highlight was all of us being done and watching your son finish his limits and bling to boot! This one goes down in the history books~

Oh yeah the foods were off the hook too!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Outstanding Landon and love picture of you two......... :smiley_10sign:

Your boy is really getting to be quite the waterfowler......... :2: