Bear #2!

sierrahunter1

Reaction score
No, I didn't harvest a second bear. Most of you know that I already punched my bear tag during archery season (posted on this forum), but I had such a close encounter with another bear, that I'm considering it my second bear of the year (and I got video!).

I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn't after bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I'm certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught my scent on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It's only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I'm right friggin' nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!

Check it out: https://youtu.be/POCxNtFSJN0

Spanky

Reaction score
Nice! Just proving how poor their vision is compared to their sense of smell. That dude booked it hard once he winded you. That up in D3-5? They've got a lot of bears up there for sure. Thinking of picking up a bear tag this season as well.

sierrahunter1

Reaction score
Yup. D3-5. There are far more bears in my area than deer. Probably in your area, too.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Yeah! I totally noticed that with him lipping at that piece of longgrass right there on the trail crossing!

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
that was cool called son over to watch it with me, he had no idea that you were there, and you can see when it picked up you're sent on the brush. very cool video

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Very cool. Only come across 1 so far here in CO and not that close.

Spanky

Reaction score
I'm planning a very late season bear hunt in D5. I was deer/beer hunting earlier in October but had horrible luck finding any sign or bear scat. The resident bears seemed to be very active in late May/early June and then nothing. The usual spots I've encountered them came up bone dry. It was hot and dry. Hoping December brings me in contact with a big bruin.