Back from the Indian Res hunt

Kentuck

Reaction score
Got back today from my cow elk hunt on the Goshute Indian Reservation on the Utah/Nevada border. Every thing was as I expected. I hunted with an old time friend and we both scored our elk.

We had originally planned on taking my wall tent and staying in it but decided the week before to see if we could just stay in one of their trailers, since it was just the two of us. They had a trailer available and am I ever glad they did. It was a two-bedroom house trailer, furnished and heated with electric heaters. What a blessing to be able to use that. We had temps down into the single digits.

We arrived on Friday about noon. I had stated we would start our hunt on Sat. when we set this up. I wish I had asked to do a little hunt on friday as we ended up just sitting around all afternoon. I was a little nervous about our hunt as they had a group of six hunters not get an elk and only saw some on the last day they were there. But then two hunters who had shown up Thursday got their elk that afternoon and were done.

We met our guide Friday evening and got the meet time. We met him Sat morning at their main campground. We headed out to where they had seen about 20 head of elk earlier in the week. We arrived before light and sat in the truck waiting on daylight. We glass the area for awhile when the sun came up. Not seeing anything we move to a canyon the guide said the elk like to hang in. As we drive over the top, I see a cow and another walk down the draw. We bail out of the truck. My friend has first shot since he has never killed an elk. The guide and I are standing on one side of the truck watching a cow stand broadside, 200 yards away and just watch us. The guide says, Shoot that elk. I call to my friend who is still on the other side of the truck loading his rifle. I'm loading my rifle and the guide just keeps saying Shoot! I think he was probably getting ticked I wasn't shooting. I keep calling to my friend as I have no idea what was taking him so long. He finally comes over to us and asks where the elk is. I point out the elk and my friend says, I can't see it! I'm thinking WHAT?!?!?! The thing is standing broadside, 200 yards away in open sage and junipers. I point again and said look over the top of that bush in front of us and you'll see it. He again says, I can't see it! The guide is just saying, shoot! My friend finally says to me, go ahead. I go to close the bolt on my rifle and a shell jams against one I had partially dropped into the chamber. I can't get them unjammed and now the elk decides to leave. Another joins it as they trot up the other side of the draw. I think I saw more elk move down the draw and we start forward and there is a cow looking at us from over her back. Only her head and butt was facing us. They guide tells my buddy there's one and he says where? I can't believe this is happening. There is this big tan/yellow rump standing out in the sage and he can't see it!!!!! I grab his arm and pull over in front of me and say, Can't you see that yellow rump facing us. Then he said, oh yea, now I see it. The elk has enough and joins the other two and go over the ridge in front of us. Our guide must think we are idiots by now. He suggests we hike over and see if we can get on them on the other canyon, which really a big semi-open bowl. We cross over the ridge and the guide motions us over to him quickly. The elk are across the bowl from us, staring back at us from about 350 yards away. My buddy gets to the guide, I'm behind him and guess what? Yup, first thing he says is, "I can't see them!" I can't believe it. I stick my arm right over his shoulder and say look at those three elk standing broadside looking at us. He finally sees them and takes a rest to shoot. I go about 10 feet to his left and get ready myself. He shoots and the elk run about 50 yards left and stop. I pick one and shoot. Both misses. The elk go a little ways left and stop again. My friend shoots at the left cow and I am on that one too, and see the cow flich like it was hit. It runs a little ways and I get my scope on it and it is limping. I concentrat on putting her down and shoot again. Still no reaction. They end up going to the top of the opposite ridge and right before they go over the one my friend had hit falls over. Cool. After the fiasco we went through we have one down. We get the truck into the canyon and hike up to it. Nice cow, about two years old I think since the ivories were really small. About time we started gutting her a snow storm came in and by the time we dressed her out we had a couple inches of snow on the ground. That allowed us to drag her to the bottom of the canyon and there we cut her up and packed her about 350 yards to the truck, mostly level ground. Easiest recovery I had been on.

View attachment 28425
View attachment 28427

By the time we got back to the trailer it about 1 pm and I was whipped. I told the guide that although it looked like the snow storm would lift before dark, I didn't think I could hunt too hard that evening and would leave whether to go out up to him. Thankfully he agreed and we decided to rest that evening and hit it hard Sunday morning.

We get up Sunday morning and it's 9 degrees! We meet the guide at the campground and he's talking with another guide and a hunter that is there hunting for a bull. The other hunter was only wanting a 400 inch or better bull and told me had passed on 13 bulls that week with two being 360-370. They had seen a herd of elk the day before that had at least 100 elk in it. As I'm thinking to myself, why don't we go there, our guide tells me the other guide told him where they had seen those elk (from a distance) and we would go there. Cool I thought. Plus I've never seen that many elk in one herd before so that would be awesome in itself.

We leave camp and head into the hills. We stop and start glassing the sage flats at the foot of the mountains as the sun starts coming up. Not seeing anything at the first stop we start driving to the next spot. As we come over this ridge I look across the hill and see a herd of elk start running up the far sage flat. I yell, "Elk!" and start to get out. The guide says hold on and that the road we are on goes right to where they are running. We drive a few hundred yards and I'm watching the far hill and it seems there is no end to the elk. I don't how many there were but there were elk strung out for at least 200 to 300 yards running up the mountain. We get to within about 100 yards of where they are crossing the road and bail out. The elk are just crossing the road in front of us. I'm looking and looking trying to find an elk that wasn't running. No luck. About half the herd has crossed the road and is making their way on up the mountain. I look down the hill and see the last few elk are stopped about 200 yards away. I start to think about that shot but then stop to think I might have a better chance at one at about 100 yards. One cow finally separates from the line of elk running and the guide says take that one. I'm not thrilled at taking a running shot but I'm excited and nervous about not getting a shot so I take it. Down goes the elk. Lots of high fives and whooping it up. There is still elk running up the hill. It was an unbelievable sight. One I will never forget. The cow I hit was still alive though and trying to get up. I finish her and realize that not only do I have my elk but it is 50 feet from a road and this was going to be an easy recovery.

View attachment 28426
[
We go back to camp and get my friends truck. It's a flat bed. We use a come-along and ATV ramps and get the elk whole into the truck. They have a skinning rack at the camp so we hang her and cut her up while she is hanging. Sure beat cutting up one that is lying on the ground!

View attachment 28428

Attachments

• Randy__s_Elk.JPG
    Randy__s_Elk.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Monty__s_Cow_Elk.JPG
    Monty__s_Cow_Elk.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Dragging_Randy__s_elk.JPG
    Dragging_Randy__s_elk.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Loading_Monty__s_elk.JPG
    Loading_Monty__s_elk.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 34

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra.....
Reaction score
Oakley, California (via Brentwood- about 4 miles d
[SIZE=18pt]CONGRATS BROTHA MONTS !!! [/SIZE] :smiley_10sign:

.......Also- If you would wish to Marinate and then Tregarize (pellet smoke) some of your lesser cuts into Jerkey - Give me a ringle pringle. I got the hookup to get it done. .....And we can go out fishing during that time.

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
great story & pics

PIGIG

Reaction score
way to monty- GET SOME :beer-toast:

PS
i don't think your freezer is big enough so you can drop some in mine :smiley-bag-on-head:

cecil

Kentuck

Reaction score
Dan and Cecil - I have to make a confession. It was not a great shot on my part. I hesitated to take it but after watching 50 or so elk already run by at 75 yards and the rest looking like they would just continue to run off I found a lone animal and let 'er rip. Will never take a shot at a running animal again. Lets just say that a 270 Winchester XP3 in 150 grains is devastating to the hind quarters of an elk. I was sick. Lost way too much meat. I'm very very dissapointed in myself over that one.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Reaction score
Your not always given the 'perfect shot', you did your part and made it count!

PIGIG

Reaction score
QUOTE (Arrowslinger @ Nov 18 2009, 04:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=233423

:smiley-laugh-point-up-yellow: How many times have i heard that statement :smiley-bag-on-head: meat is meat it all tastes good.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Great story and congrats on the elk :beer-toast:

DMax

Reaction score
nice hunt and great eats i feed my grandson elk he's 7 and picky asked for seconds :D enjoy the gift of the hunt and life ,sexpereances crack open a cold one put the beast on the grill :beer-toast:

Bishop

Reaction score
Chino, Ca., Mammoth Lakes/Big Bear (part time)
QUOTE (PIGIG @ Nov 18 2009, 03:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=233425
QUOTE (Arrowslinger @ Nov 18 2009, 04:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=233423

:smiley-laugh-point-up-yellow: How many times have i heard that statement :smiley-bag-on-head: meat is meat it all tastes good.

What he said. Congrats on a good hunt.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Picked my son up last night and he asked if that one piece of elk was still left from dinner the night before. I said yes and he got home, heated it up and scarfed it down. Makes a dad proud.

I was able to harvest my elk but man, I lost out on a lot of meat. I hate wasting any of it. Good news is now I don't have to get a bigger freezer like I thought I was. :smiley-crazyeyes: