Anybody tried Rio shot shell ?

d tree's

Reaction score
Found them on sale and wonder if anybody here has shot them :beer-toast: ,D

"Rio Royal BlueSteel is loaded with perfectly spherical steel shot for use where regulations call for lead-free shotshells. It's ballistically engineered to retain energy down range and generates less pressure, a more consistent pattern and better efficiency than competing brands"

Duckfan

Reaction score
D,

I know Cabela's has them on sale...and it is tempting.

I have NOT shot the shell so I cannot argue pro or con for them....but....

After years and years of shooting just about every shell out there - and trying the 'sale' ammunition (trying to cut my costs down), I have come to this conclusion:

I need to shoot the "best" ammo I can for my hunts. I spend way too much money and time and effort hunting ducks, and I need to remind myself to not 'scrimp' on my shells. Now, that doesnt mean I shoot the most expensive, but I have finally decided that Kents work really well for me. I like the speed of the shot, and they seem to shoot really well - for me, in my gun. If that means I spend an additional $30-50 a case for them (over some other brands).then that is what I will do from now on. Others probably have their 'go to' shells. And that's great.

I have given up on looking for something better or less expensive. I have spent a lot of money that was 'wasted'...as I continued to chase after a better shell, better gun, better dekes, better gear etc etc. It all did not matter in the greater scheme of things.

So, I have simplified my list of gear. I would only say that whatever shell has worked for you in the past - stick to them. Try a box of Rio if you want. It may be great for you. But, I would just say I would not get a case unless I really knew they worked great - for me. I'll stick to what has proven to work for me, and I have stopped trying to find something better.

That is just my 2 cents...

Good Luck

Huntducks

Reaction score
D I know there lead stuff aint bad buy some steel and try it.

How much we talking per box??? and what are the numbers on the stuff like weight and FPS

Rick i'm with you after patterning some of this cheaper factory stuff and seeing what it can't do, I reloaded my own I did save some $$$ over say WW supreams and FC Premiums but I also got a little better pattern.

d tree's

Reaction score
Greg
SIZE # 2 3'' 1 1/8OZ 1550 FPS
IN STOCK and ON SALE REGULAR $96.90 CS
Inventory Clearance LOW PRICE
LIMITED STOCK
$82.90 TO $86.90 case

Rick

I do agree with you and some of my hunting buddy's will tell you I say that to them all the time , But I will say this is exactly how I found Kents and auto life use to sell them 8.99 a box back in the day only wish I picked up 20 cases back then :16: ,D

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I found Kent's in Canada back in 2001.....................I will not shoot any other kind of steel other than Kents........................ :smiley_10sign:

That price is similiar to what Winchester sold their Expert's for.........So is it worth taking a chance for 30 bucks a case, $3.00 a box, 12 cents per shell?.............. :lol:

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
If you are shooting decoying birds then IMO it really doesnt matter too much what load you are shooting. I shoot 2 3/4" #6s for decoying mallards and it stones them. I have gone through a case of the Rios that I picked up at a DU banquet a few years ago and they worked fine for me. I shoot whatever is cheapest for my duck hunting.

Duckfan

Reaction score
QUOTE (d tree's @ Feb 9 2010, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=250080
Rick

I do agree with you and some of my hunting buddy's will tell you I say that to them all the time , But I will say this is exactly how I found Kents and auto life use to sell them 8.99 a box back in the day only wish I picked up 20 cases back then :16: ,D

I hear ya D........

I wish I had also!