Another Trophy poacher...

GUNDOGLOVER

It's amazing how much some people need to impress their friends with their hunting abilities that they are willing to risk being caught and prosecuted just to have (false) bragging rights. Kind of like stealing presents at Christmas time to impress everyone with your generosity.

SCREWLOOSE

And the dude is in the archery HOF.

Back in my Navy days my Chief would always tell me ‘1000 attaboys are wiped out by one awe fu%*’.

This wasn’t stumbling across a trophy buck and having a momentary lapse of judgement. He knew exactly what he was doing and actively participated in what he was doing.

2rocky

So If I shot a buck that travelled through my property to get to my neighbors bait pile, would I be guilty of hunting over bait?

I think CBH gave Officer Foy an award 5 -7 years ago.

So If I shot a buck that travelled through my property to get to my neighbors bait pile, would I be guilty of hunting over bait?
Conceivably. I think it would be on you to make the case you had no knowledge of the bait pile and had no intent to hunt over bait.

SCREWLOOSE

I think CBH gave Officer Foy an award 5 -7 years ago.

Yeah, but this guy got busted for being THAT neighbor. He actively kept the bait pile well stocked. That’s where I draw the difference between a momentary lapse of judgement and a active participant in an illegal act. Both are wrong, but one is more flagrant to me.

nicapopolis

Wait... did he shoot the smaller of the two? Those are both pretty good bucks.

We get some good bucks around here. Our community is 5 acre minimum lots with a 100 acre county open space in the middle. Deer will eat from bird feeders, left over horse/livestock feed, and water troughs. They also browse heavily on the native grasses.

It sounds like this guy was legitimately placing piles of bait, but the neighbor argument is a tough one. I assume all my neighbors have bird feeders and the deer are eating from them.

JNDEER

Wonder how DFG found out about this? IG posts- lol.

nic- that was one of the first things I thought of too- if your going to poach or kill over bait why the hell would you shoot the smaller buck, lol.

rocky- that DFG warden Foy? Or other Leo Foy? That name rings a bell.

BOHNTR

And the dude is in the archery HOF.

Back in my Navy days my Chief would always tell me ‘1000 attaboys are wiped out by one awe fu%*’.

This wasn’t stumbling across a trophy buck and having a momentary lapse of judgement. He knew exactly what he was doing and actively participated in what he was doing.
What HOF?

JNDEER

Sorry 2rock.... I thought you were saying warden Foy was the guy who got busted shooting a deer that was headed towards a neighbors bait pile

snoopdogg

Sad, sad, sad. Well known up north because of the archery shop. About a week or two earlier, another local resident (Sacto?) was caught poaching on some property he has in the hills and ate a $20k fine.

JNDEER

Automatic feeders- sheesh. What a good buck too- what the hell does a 70 year old have to prove killing that giant out of season, no age restriction on poachers.