Alternatives to Trimble

ofdscooby

Reaction score
I've had the Trimble hunting app since it was the cabelas hunting app it's pretty nice but the price has gone up its now 30 a year. I like it because I can know what kind of land I'm looking at and can see the boundaries of the unit. Are there other more cost effective apps or programs out there that can do this if not I'll just ke using Google earth.

rodbehbood

Reaction score
The one I use is BackCountry Navigator I think its only good for Androids but I could be wrong. Generally speaking its good the one downside is no landowner info and sometimes public land is just classified as UnClassified land which is dumb because it can mean anything. The good thing is it works without a cell signal using the gps on your phone and you can download maps before you go and have an exact location at all times. The BLM overlay is $10 add on and the program itself costs 10 or so and its a one time payment. The whole unclassified thing is what I would warn against because I have to check other sources to find out the true ownership public or private. Im looking for a new app for the iPhone so hope looking forward to see what others have to say.

ofdscooby

Reaction score
I think I may just use the Trimble on a month to month only 3 bucks and it allows me to check all the spots I've been looking so that I know they are legal.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
I don't use any phone apps for this purpose, but it sounds like I will now.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
Onxmaps has a great app for your phone which shows property boundaries, but it's $30 a year as well and does not act as a full GPS -- you can place waypoints on the map, but you can not have the device navigate you to that point later with a bearing or heading (would have to do that manually). Still I feel it is worth it for my purposes.

Motionx-GPS is the best stand alone GPS app I have found so far. It's $.99 and allows you to download satellite, topo, and marine maps to your phone, but not property owner overlays by default.... If you really want the most cost effective option you could do what I did for every MLPA on the coast and manually create the boundaries in google earth than export those boundaries you created as a .kmz file. You can then upload those to your phone and toggle them on and off from within the motion-x App. Some national forest, BLM lands, etc. already have .kmz files created for them. If you do a google search -- you might get lucky.