Advice on Texas Pigs

TommyJD

I've hunted San Diego but can't compete against the government. Looks like the best option now is Tejon or even Fort H-L.

However, more than once, some non-hunter has told me, "You know, dem Farmers down in Texas are payin' hunters to come to their land and hunt the wild pigs." I never found any evidence of this. Have you?

It did get me thinking that returning from a drive down to Texas with a pick up load of pigs is not such a bad idea. Any advice on where to get started? Is private land the best way to go? If they are as rampant as the news articles suggest, it makes little sense to pay a hefty fee to a private land owner.

TonyS

From what I understand there is NO public land in Texas. So you have to pay. But prices are fairly reasonable. The other option is to pay someone here.

nicapopolis

TonyS said:
From what I understand there is NO public land in Texas. So you have to pay. But prices are fairly reasonable. The other option is to pay someone here.
There definitely is public land in Texas.

With that said, private is most likely your best bet. Even a better bet would be paying a trespass fee on private to hunt them. The cost will still be very reasonable.

I am sure there are farmers paying hunters to kill pigs, but people are also getting paid to bring the pigs in for slaughter too. Those may mostly be trappers though.